whine

Frequent questions about dead or faulty pedals. Whether you repair, mod or build pedals, debugging is important. Threads about general debugging problems irrespective of the circuit involved...

whine

Postby vvv » 21 Apr 2014, 14:56

In some of my builds I sometimes get distant whine when used with a 9v supply. Sometimes it disappears by replugging the DC plug. In some builds it whines with some power supplys ja not with others. Wiggling the wires inside pedal makes no difference. Could that be because I put DC jack next to input jack in my builds? Would it be better to have the DC jack in other side of the box (top)? Or is it just because of bad and cheap components? Or a grounding problem?
vvv

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: whine

Postby Nocentelli » 21 Apr 2014, 19:08

vvv wrote:Or a grounding problem?

Possibly, or more likely not enough power filtering and a poorly filtered 9v DC adaptor. Ideally, one should use +9v -> 100r series resistor -> 100u electro cap to ground -> power to board. If that doesn't solve it, the problem has another cause.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 837 times

Re: whine

Postby vvv » 22 Apr 2014, 13:42

Nocentelli wrote:
vvv wrote:Or a grounding problem?

Possibly, or more likely not enough power filtering and a poorly filtered 9v DC adaptor. Ideally, one should use +9v -> 100r series resistor -> 100u electro cap to ground -> power to board. If that doesn't solve it, the problem has another cause.

Could that be even a tiny separate box with dc in&out and that resistor + cap inside so you could easily test out different pedals and see if they get silent? Or even leave it on pedalboard to silent all whining pedals?
vvv

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Debugging