Pinnacle problem

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
mislav.vg
Information

Post by mislav.vg »

I built wampler pinnacle using this schematic:

But I have one problem...
When the tone knob is turned to the right it sounds normal, graphicaly like this:

But when tone knob is in the middle or left positions (more bass) it behaves like this:
So when i hit a string, it takes about a second to reach normal volume.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

NickS
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by NickS »

Sounds like some sort of mis-biassing problem, but the only device that should be affected by the tone control is the last FET. The tone control woulld be varying the gate resistance to earth through 220k+10k+10k+tone+82K in parallel with 470k; do you have a meter so you can see if the voltage on the FET's source varies as you move the tone control?

Can you post clear close-ups of your build so that we can check the layout? Also details of which FETs you used/pinout?

mislav.vg
Information

Post by mislav.vg »

it was problem with biasing, i lowered last two fets drain resistors and it works fine now!

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa
Completed builds: Catalinbread Hyper pak 2 , B K Butler 2, 3Legged dog, Soldano Supercharger GTO Jfet, MXR Phase 90, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Bartolini NTMB3, Fulltone Bassdrive 2, Gruntbox,MM Stingray Bass preamp,Emma ReezaFratZitz, Jumbo Tonebender, Freya Slo 100 Emulator, Dr. Boogie Emulator, Insanity Box, Fulltone OCD, Fuzz Face Germanium, Fuzz Face Silicium,Crunch Burnig DSM, Ross Compressor, Nurse Quaky, Purple plexi 800, EH Pulsar.

Post by lutor »

My personal layout not verified,but in use for build fx.
Attachments
pinnacle.gif

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Catalinbread Hyper pak 2 , B K Butler 2, 3Legged dog, Soldano Supercharger GTO Jfet, MXR Phase 90, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Bartolini NTMB3, Fulltone Bassdrive 2, Gruntbox,MM Stingray Bass preamp,Emma ReezaFratZitz, Jumbo Tonebender, Freya Slo 100 Emulator, Dr. Boogie Emulator, Insanity Box, Fulltone OCD, Fuzz Face Germanium, Fuzz Face Silicium,Crunch Burnig DSM, Ross Compressor, Nurse Quaky, Purple plexi 800, EH Pulsar.

Post by lutor »

Same but,for perfboard use.
Attachments
pinnacle_perf.gif

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

has anyone built this one? Can anyone verify if it is the Pinnacle?

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Okay I made this, and it is very close to the Pinnacle. Not sure what version Pinnacle. I did remove the boost resistors, because I was getting a lot of noise. Otherwise built it per schematic.

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lutor »

I have Build and verified. Only modification on the part that regards the boost. Great sound!

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Do you think it sounds like the Pinnacle?

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lutor »

I do not know how much equal one I can be to the Pinnacle, because I cannot make a comparison direct. I can imagine the likeness through the sample found online. I am but sure that it has an optimal one of brown sound distortion and not only that one. Certainly he will construct it to who will have much satisfaction.

theItalianDiYer
Information

Post by theItalianDiYer »

can u post your pcb?? i am very courious to try it!!

thanks

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

You can use the BSIAB2 pcb, and make the changes in the grayed out areas from the schematic shown. The only thing that would not be on the pcb is the grayed area after the tonestack. This is the twin t filter, and a Jfet recovery stage.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

mislav.vg wrote:I built wampler pinnacle using this schematic:

When the tone knob is turned to the right it sounds normal, graphicaly like this:

But when tone knob is in the middle or left positions (more bass) it behaves like this:

Thanks
oddly enough this is the first time I looked at this schem much.... this circuit isn't correct past the gain stages, quite a bit different actually.
It's also from a version that's about 3 or 4 years old. The newest ones are quite a bit different.

lovetone
Information

Post by lovetone »

indyguitarist wrote:
mislav.vg wrote:I built wampler pinnacle using this schematic:

Thanks
oddly enough this is the first time I looked at this schem much.... this circuit isn't correct past the gain stages, quite a bit different actually.
It's also from a version that's about 3 or 4 years old. The newest ones are quite a bit different.
Do you have the correction for the schematic after the first gain stage? or a full schematic?

Cheers

ct88
Information

Post by ct88 »

u will need a input and output buffer to come across the actual version :roll:

lovetone
Information

Post by lovetone »

ct88 wrote:u will need a input and output buffer to come across the actual version :roll:

Do you have a schematic with the correct information?

ct88
Information

Post by ct88 »

nope, i only built a circuit similar to that one (changed some values to my tastes :)) where i removed the last buffer and insered 2 buffers made by IC :wink:

lovetone
Information

Post by lovetone »

ct88 wrote:nope, i only built a circuit similar to that one (changed some values to my tastes :)) where i removed the last buffer and insered 2 buffers made by IC :wink:

O.K. Thanks

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

I built the pinnacle according to lutors perf layout,last night, and it fired up first time.
sounds awesome, no noise from the boost section, its sound very close the real thing, to me anyhoo.
thanks again Lutor :mrgreen:
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

lutor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lutor »

I have felt some person that he has used mine layout for the build and has had a broblem of feedback or/and hiss. If someone other person has the same problem and wants to resolve, is necessary replace the R-3 (of mine layout) with a low value resistor. To go down step by step till to find the value of the resistor that eliminates the problem. I task that can be arrived till value of 100K.
Best regards.