Noob on a mission -Ibanez Sonic Distortion

Frequent questions about dead or faulty pedals. Whether you repair, mod or build pedals, debugging is important. Threads about general debugging problems irrespective of the circuit involved...

Noob on a mission -Ibanez Sonic Distortion

Postby hamerjunkie » 01 Jul 2010, 06:05

Hi, completely new to this forum but have tinkered with a few things over the years....I have an old 80` Ibanez Sonic Distortion that I bought new when I was in my early teens (I`m 42 now). I plugged into it a few days ago and didn`t get any output in bypass mode, but it works fine when you kick in the distortion part of it, so it is sort of like a killswitch right now. I changed batteries, tried a 9 volt power supply and it is the same. Pulled the switch out and cleaned it a bit, still the same. I`m looking for a little direction how to troubleshoot/debug it. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
hamerjunkie

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Noob on a mission -Ibanez Sonic Distortion

Postby JOHNO » 01 Jul 2010, 10:54

I'm pretty sure this pedal has fet switching, so perhap's the fet or something has died. I didn't find a decent schematic googling but you could try the search function here at FSB. I'm sure there is a schematic laying around here some where.
JOHNO
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby hamerjunkie » 02 Jul 2010, 00:29

It does have the fet switch in it, I have an old analog delay that died and couldn`t be revived that I can pull the switch out of and swap with the SD-9. If that doesn`t work, true bypass is the next option. Thanks for both replies, both had very useful information in them.
hamerjunkie

Postby hamerjunkie » 05 Jul 2010, 19:45

The switch was bad, back in business again. My next deal is going to be getting a pedal kit and building it, I`m not sure if I can find a Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800 clone, but there are a bunch of Tube Screamer and Rat clones out there on the web.......Any recommendations?
hamerjunkie

Return to Debugging