Catalinbread - Manx Loaghtan  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

batteryacidtea wrote:Thank you! I'll post the files ASAP then!
No problem. Thanks for redoing them in Eagle. I really should download it...

batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

There you go http://www.4shared.com/file/kButZwdK/Manx_Loaghtan.html

I didn't put any values at the schematics yet, since there's some unknown values, but feel free to modify it!
:horsey:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

OK, I'm doing a vero layout atm, and I'm puzzled by a couple of things: Firstly, there appears to be no pull-down resistor on the input - How come it doesn't pop? Is this because the 47K resistor is before, not after the input cap? Secondly, the sustain pot has no resistor to ground off lug 1 as per normal muff. I assume the 10n cap across lugs 2+3 is there to preserve treble at minimum sustain, but does it also serve to ensure the signal is not cut off entirely when the wiper is shorted to ground?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

I don't use any pulldown resistor in my big muff builds, and never had any kind of pop in there!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

OK, cool. I've always just stuck one in as a matter of course in all my builds.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

I'm a little lazy about this, and try all my pedals without it. If it pops, what da hell, i just pup it there, cursing for the extra job. I think I just had pop issues with fuzz faces, rebotes and CE-2.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Nocentelli wrote:OK, I'm doing a vero layout atm, and I'm puzzled by a couple of things: Firstly, there appears to be no pull-down resistor on the input - How come it doesn't pop? Is this because the 47K resistor is before, not after the input cap? Secondly, the sustain pot has no resistor to ground off lug 1 as per normal muff. I assume the 10n cap across lugs 2+3 is there to preserve treble at minimum sustain, but does it also serve to ensure the signal is not cut off entirely when the wiper is shorted to ground?
I haven't needed one with any Muffs I've built. The input is grounded when bypassed anyways. And yes, the cap keeps the signal from being cut off completely when the wiper is shorted. I did find it odd that there wasn't a resistor to ground but lug 1 of the sustain pot goes directly to ground.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Nocentelli wrote: Secondly, the sustain pot has no resistor to ground off lug 1 as per normal muff. I assume the 10n cap across lugs 2+3 is there to preserve treble at minimum sustain, but does it also serve to ensure the signal is not cut off entirely when the wiper is shorted to ground?
Yes, the cap is there for Treble bypass as the pot is turned down and I can't see how it can maintain a signal.
When the pot is turned all the way down it's grounded (as is the input to the rest of the circuit), and the fact it goes through a cap first is irrelevant.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Greg_G wrote:When the pot is turned all the way down it's grounded (as is the input to the rest of the circuit), and the fact it goes through a cap first is irrelevant.
mmolteratx wrote:And yes, the cap keeps the signal from being cut off completely when the wiper is shorted. I did find it odd that there wasn't a resistor to ground but lug 1 of the sustain pot goes directly to ground.
:hmmm:

Here's a quick vero (as-per-schematic as far as I can tell):
CBread_ML_v1.gif

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

:lol:

That was my understanding. Though I've only had a year of electronics and a couple of years of physics. I start EE courses heavily next year. I'd defer to Greg.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

mmolteratx wrote::lol:

That was my understanding. Though I've only had a year of electronics and a couple of years of physics. I start EE courses heavily next year. I'd defer to Greg.
I'm always happy to be corrected.. but as I see it, with P1 turned down the junction of C5 and C20 is grounded.
If you take the pot out of the picture, you have 2 capacitors in series with a ground connection in the middle.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Greg_G wrote:
mmolteratx wrote::lol:

I'm always happy to be corrected.. but as I see it, with P1 turned down the junction of C5 and C20 is grounded.
If you take the pot out of the picture, you have 2 capacitors in series with a ground connection in the middle.
Yea, you're right. I missed a 100R resistor to ground from lug 1 of the sustain pot and assumed that was how it was still working. I'll edit the schem and re upload.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Fixed. Sorry guys.
Attachments
Manx.bmp
Manx.bmp (385.06 KiB) Viewed 4240 times

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

mmolteratx wrote: Yea, you're right. I missed a 100R resistor to ground from lug 1 of the sustain pot and assumed that was how it was still working. I'll edit the schem and re upload.
Thanks mmolteratx
:thumbsup

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

No problem. FSB has given me a lot since I've joined and I figured it's time to start giving back now that I've got some cool stuff. You can call me Matt BTW.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

mmolteratx wrote:FSB has given me a lot since I've joined...
+100

Layout fixed:
CBread_ML_v1.gif

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

mmolteratx wrote:Fixed. Sorry guys.
One minor fix: In your schematic you used a MOSFET symbol for the 2N5457 JFET - if it is a JFET in the real pedal. Didn't read the whole thread so I don't know.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Oops. Noted and fixed in my schem. Dunno how that one happened. :lol:
Attachments
Manx.bmp
Manx.bmp (385.06 KiB) Viewed 4218 times

batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

I'll fix the eagle schematics and try to do a nice layout.

burstcracksplit
Information

Post by burstcracksplit »

Hi,

I have build it and it sounds (surprise surprise) like a muff with a huge amount of treble. But I think that the value of R21 (100R) is wrong. There's almost no sound if you turn down the sustain pot. On the guts picture R21 looks like 2K (red-black-red-gold). I changed this resistor and now it sounds pretty similar to "low gain" video on youtube.