Catalinbread - Manx Loaghtan  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

burstcracksplit wrote:Hi,

I have build it and it sounds (surprise surprise) like a muff with a huge amount of treble. But I think that the value of R21 (100R) is wrong. There's almost no sound if you turn down the sustain pot. On the guts picture R21 looks like 2K (red-black-red-gold). I changed this resistor and now it sounds pretty similar to "low gain" video on youtube.
The schematic has R21 marked as 100K not 100R, looking at the picture of the PCB as well the colour banding is brown,black, yellow so 100K would look correct to me. Have you tried 100K instead.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Ice-9 wrote:

I have build it and it sounds (surprise surprise) like a muff with a huge amount of treble. But I think that the value of R21 (100R) is wrong. There's almost no sound if you turn down the sustain pot. On the guts picture R21 looks like 2K (red-black-red-gold). I changed this resistor and now it sounds pretty similar to "low gain" video on youtube.
The schematic has R21 marked as 100K not 100R, looking at the picture of the PCB as well the colour banding is brown,black, yellow so 100K would look correct to me. Have you tried 100K instead.

Iv'e had another look and I think you meant R26 on the schematic as this is 100R and is on the sustain pot. that is not 100R in the photo., well spotted.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Ice-9 wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:

Iv'e had another look and I think you meant R26 on the schematic as this is 100R and is on the sustain pot. that is not 100R in the photo., well spotted.
It looks like orange , black , orange.
Why is there no edit post in this forum as its a pain in the rear end having to re-post everytime you need to amend anything.

burstcracksplit
Information

Post by burstcracksplit »

Sorry,

I meant R26 of course.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

CBread_ML_v3.gif
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

nice work fellas! just one question- what the fuck is up with that name? ii sounds like they flipped through Cat Fancy and just threw a finger down.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

plesur
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by plesur »

RnFR wrote:what the fuck is up with that name? ii sounds like they flipped through Cat Fancy and just threw a finger down.
It's a sheep:

Horny. [smilie=a_happyhappy.gif]

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

No matter what it is, it is a fugly enclosure.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

Sari
Information

Post by Sari »

atreidesheir wrote:No matter what it is, it is a fugly enclosure.
Well, it is a fugly beast...

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

has anyone built Noctelli's most excellent vero yet?
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

shardy
Information

Post by shardy »

any1 built the vero? veryfy pls ... its a badass pedal :)

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

shardy wrote:any1 built the vero? veryfy pls ... its a badass pedal :)
.... or you could build it, check it works and verify it for us.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

SGJarrod
Information

Post by SGJarrod »

there seems to be an error on the schematic.... R7 & R12 should be 100k.... I was looking at the scheme and thought the 470K values looked really odd on this...most muffs use 82-100K here..(100k being most optimal)..looked at the pics and sure enough they are 100k- Brown-Black-Yellow..... the 470k would throw off the bias if I remember my muff circuitry correctly

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

OK, many thanks to SGJarrod: Here's another go at getting a correct vero - Please note, it is unverified, I haven't built it but if you choose to attempt it, please carefully check the vero against the schematic, bearing in mind the corrections posted (I have done so several times, but that's obviously no guarantee):
CBread_Manx_unverified.JPG

noiseuoh
Information

Post by noiseuoh »

Just curious if anyone has verified nocentelli's vero?

noiseuoh
Information

Post by noiseuoh »

nocentelli's vero is verified by me. sounds good. thanks a lot man.

G5120fx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by G5120fx »

Yeah, verified! Sounds nice! :applause:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Thanks for the verification - Thought i should probably build one, since I don't have a muff at the moment: I've updated the schem to show my version that I have personally verified (hardly any changes to the board) and added the values for the pots. I didn't have a 470u so I stuck in the biggest electro i had, a (physically) massive 220uF axial cap; This actually has the benefit of making it stand a lot lower off the board than a radial electro:
CBread_Manx_verifiedvero_nocentelli.JPG

charlietheunicorn
Information

Post by charlietheunicorn »

made my first layout with eagle. i hope its not too crappy. i will etch it in the next days.
Attachments
manxdrucken.pdf
(20.64 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
manxloaghtan.pdf
(35.98 KiB) Downloaded 254 times