JHS - Morning Glory  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
cdeschenes
Information

Post by cdeschenes »

erichoh wrote:Anybody build this yet? I never learned how to etch my own boards so I made a perf layout for it based off the build doc. Got nothing. Wondering if anybody has the voltages for the IC?
I have built it from the PDF build guide and it worked great. I love this pedal. Here is some info on mine.
http://music.codydeschenes.com/?p=1462

erichoh
Information

Post by erichoh »

Awesome site. Lots of cool projects on there! Any chance you could grab the ic voltages for me?

jethrofloyd67
Information

Post by jethrofloyd67 »

breadboarded and sounds awesome! im dropping my sparkle drive for this.
however, is there any reason to have that much filtering in the power section? the 2 100n caps to ground and the 100u cap parallel with the 47k resistor, are they really necessary? all the other BB clones ive seen dont have those. i just dont feel like using them if i dont need to.

irmcdermott
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by irmcdermott »

jethrofloyd67 wrote:breadboarded and sounds awesome! im dropping my sparkle drive for this.
however, is there any reason to have that much filtering in the power section? the 2 100n caps to ground and the 100u cap parallel with the 47k resistor, are they really necessary? all the other BB clones ive seen dont have those. i just dont feel like using them if i dont need to.
it really isn't necessary, that's just how the unit that i traced was.

jethrofloyd67
Information

Post by jethrofloyd67 »

yah jhs does some interesting things :roll:

spent all night but its finally done and sounds soo good!
i put C6 on a toggle with a 47n on the other side for a "fat boost", much more versatile than the treble cut switch imo.

thanks for tracing this, ive been tempted by this one for awhile and glad i didnt have to drop 200 for it.

irmcdermott
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by irmcdermott »

Nice. How does it sound with the 47n?

jethrofloyd67
Information

Post by jethrofloyd67 »

well, it makes it fat!
its kind of a bass and lower mids boost that rounds out the tone and gives a significant gain boost as well. i love it!
it'll definately beef up single coils (perfect with my strat), and with a paul (or my ibanez artist) turning it off tightens up the bass.
its in my "demo pedal" enclosure right now til i get around to picking a color :P but in the final version im gonna put it on a stomp switch to use like a boost setting.

i have a friend who wants me to build him one and he plays a tele and a jazmaster so i might play with some different values for his rig.

moberts
Information

Post by moberts »

Hi all!

Does anyone still have the build dpc PDF to share? It doesn't seem to be attached to the post referring to the build doc?

Thanks
Matt

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bucksears »

Anybody got the mod for the gain boost toggle on the Morning Glory V4?

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

In the 4 versions added a second chip, I think that this voltage doubler is up to 18 volts, and the toggle switch switches the power from 9 to 18 volts

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

Hey.
Today I played with this pedal, I did a lot of mods, I share the most interesting.
1) Tone control.
All components are connected not to the VR but to the ground, this increases the range of work (in the case when connected to half-power, the diapason was very small, almost invisible).
2) C6 can be connected to the ground instead of VR, the sound becomes slightly more aggressive (just a little) and colder, but the board is more convenient to breed.
3) C10 in the process is useless, you can remove it or replace it with a smaller value 47p-100p to remove the noise of the operational amplifier
4) R4 increase to 2M2 this will give you an input resistance of 1M1, instead of 687K
5) R18 can be removed - this will give a noticeable increase in volume and gain (use the toggle switch)
6) with clipping modes is not particularly worth experimenting with
I tried everything (silicon, germanium, mosfets, soft and hard, symmetry and asymmetry) an optical variant in prince of tone
7) operational amplifiers tl072 / 082 / lf353 cold and uniform sound
JRC4558D highlighted middle of a little bass and treble
ne5532 / LM833 is the golden mean, 833 is hardly midst 5532 is the most natural.
:horsey:

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

1) & 2) = Perfect jib stabilizing the Vref voltage POTL. Bravo 8)

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:1) & 2) = Perfect jib stabilizing the Vref voltage POTL. Bravo 8)
I came across the connection of components in the tone-to-ground section by chance, there were problems on my breadboard board, when I connected to the network of the half-power network, oscillation was created, when I created a separate half-tone, the tone adjustment was practically unchanged.
I saw the connection of the first cascade to the ground in the following projects Cmatmods Butah, Analogman KOT / POT.
if you plan to use the booster, I recommend leaving the C10 using the value 47p-220p
It also makes sense to install a shunt capacitor next to R102, it will reduce noise.
This allowed to remove the feedback on large values ​​of the gain.
In theory, when I collect everything in a grounded case and put the film capacitors, the feedback should not appear at all.

I design on the breadboard (this allows me to quickly change the components and build up the sound)
for tests I use cheap ceramic capacitors, so the microphone effect sometimes appears on my projects

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Ooops! I meant "perfect job"! :)

I also do everything on breadboards. Then I transfer the finished circuit to a breadboard type proto board. Maybe you have already seen these :)

https://www.adafruit.com/product/571

Cheers!

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:Ooops! I meant "perfect job"! :)

I also do everything on breadboards. Then I transfer the finished circuit to a breadboard type proto board. Maybe you have already seen these :)

https://www.adafruit.com/product/571

Cheers!
Good prototyping boards, but I use solderless

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

of course. I use solderless breadboards first. Then, solder it up on a proto board with the same layout. Make sense?

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote:of course. I use solderless breadboards first. Then, solder it up on a proto board with the same layout. Make sense?
I prefer to check the layout and make a real circuit board :D

Matlevo12
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Matlevo12 »

Hey, if anyone's interested, there's another topic with the v4 schem, actually both versions (that I know of) of the morning glory v4.
Cheers.

jimilee
Information

Post by jimilee »

Matlevo12 wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 21:21 Hey, if anyone's interested, there's another topic with the v4 schem, actually both versions (that I know of) of the morning glory v4.
Cheers.
No link?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

jimilee wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:38
Matlevo12 wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 21:21 Hey, if anyone's interested, there's another topic with the v4 schem, actually both versions (that I know of) of the morning glory v4.
Cheers.
No link?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30441

It should also appear below, under 'Similar Topics'...
It's always difficult: merge these topic or not?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal