Emerson Custom Guitars E-M Drive.  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

harmaes wrote:But I'd love to hear your opinions about them.
Well they couldn't very well brag about a grounded-emitter amplifier, could they? Gotta have them NOS PIO OMGWTFBBQ!
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

harmaes
Information

Post by harmaes »

Hehehe ;-)

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

I am testing this through a all tube amp.

SDB Guitars
Information

Post by SDB Guitars »

I can't read the pot values... anyone know what they are?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I think this right. Someone already built it on my blog and said it's a nice boost

Mojo version if you've got the Russian caps:

Compact version:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

SDB Guitars
Information

Post by SDB Guitars »

Thanks, IvIark! Just threw this together, and I like it! Just used Mylar caps, as I didn't have any "old school paper in oil" on hand, but still, it sounds decent. Also, it's a confidence booster, as I slaved over tagboard versions of the Deep Blue Delay and Eternity pedals with absolutely no success. Maybe I just needed something EXTREMELY simple and straightforward to ease me into pedal building. :)

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

That's a pretty good idea. Once your confidence is up then you'll knock anything out comfortably I'm sure
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

Nocentelli wrote:Maybe, but I'm inclined to think this is mainly aimed at driving the input of a nice tube amp rather than primarily producing the clipping from within the transistor itself.
+1

I breadboarded it and it doesn't sound interesting itself, but if I use it to drive my amp or even my OCD input then it sings really well. Anyway I still prefer my electra distortion derived woodrow clone to do this.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

If you used the schematic on page 1 from IvIark I think it is wrong. R1 (I think) should be going to V+ and not to R2 and C2??

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes that was the mistake in my guessed scheme. This is the correct one apparently

http://www.extremecircuits.net/2010/05/ ... istor.html

Edited:
I've updated my schematic to add it to the thread.
Attachments
Emerson Custom Guitars E-M Drive.GIF
Emerson Custom Guitars E-M Drive.GIF (4.41 KiB) Viewed 2907 times

SDB Guitars
Information

Post by SDB Guitars »

IvIark -

Are you going to update the vero layout on your blog to match the new schematic? (I have not checked to see if you have or not, juts curious).

tyronethebig
Information
my favorite amplifier: Rivera knucklehead 100
Completed builds: Easy drive, ts808, rat, big muff, bazz fuss, echobase, rebote 2.5, tribune, harmonic energizer, one knob fuzz, controfuzz, tone machine, fuzz face, harmonic percolator, pwm, blue box, tremulu,s lune, hot cake, fuzz factory, blues driver, ocd, peppermill, thor, ds1, klon, machine, wolly mammoth, tube sound fuzz, les luis, box of rock, kay tremolo, ea tremolo, small stone, scrambler, green ringer,

Post by tyronethebig »

looks like both resistors go to V+ on the vero
Mike S.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes the vero is correct, it was my original gues-timate scheme from October that was wrong

rugeb
Information

Post by rugeb »

Originally, what transistor they use: 2N50088 or Darlington?

sonicmojo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sonicmojo »

nooneknows wrote:
Nocentelli wrote:Maybe, but I'm inclined to think this is mainly aimed at driving the input of a nice tube amp rather than primarily producing the clipping from within the transistor itself.

+1

I breadboarded it and it doesn't sound interesting itself, but if I use it to drive my amp or even my OCD input then it sings really well. Anyway I still prefer my electra distortion derived woodrow clone to do this.
+2 on the breadboard results here but it might be a interesting in the chain of a bigger circuit.

rugeb
Information

Post by rugeb »

Schematic with mods: Pulldown resistor (anti-pop) and clipping diodes (for transistor amps):

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

sonicmojo wrote: +2 on the breadboard results here but it might be a interesting in the chain of a bigger circuit.
Uh, I didn't understand.
I tried it (in breadboard version) alone in front of my tube peavey amp, after my pedalboard setup (lovepedal woodrow, digitech main squeeze compressor > crybay wah > Phase 45 > OCD > MiniBooster > digitch chorus factory > hardwire delay > Boss Tuner) and before my pedalboard, the best results were using it before the pedalboard, driving the OCD engaged.

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

Anyway this circuit seems to be drawn having in mind the audiophile rules: minimum number of components, hi-quality caps, ecc.

Since I was in audiophile tunnel and addiction for some years and it took a long time before I finally came out, let me say that I think a great part of the mojo around is... crap.

If in hi fi world it 'could' work (but not always) in guitar land is almost useless: guitar is definetely not hi-fi, and much more 'often' than 'sometimes', audiophile rules become a synonime of 'shrillness' or stiff sound.

But that's just my humble opinion.

aaronmcoleman
Information

Post by aaronmcoleman »

I've breadboarded this, because why not...I had an extra 3 minutes today. I tried 2n5088s, 2n5089, 2n2222, 2n3094, and 2n3096. The lower gain options sounded better but boring. The higher gain options just got farty and blown out with the gain cranked. That's always been my experience with single transistor circuits. So, what's the secret, how does this not get "farty"?

sonicmojo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sonicmojo »

aaronmcoleman wrote:I've breadboarded this, because why not...I had an extra 3 minutes today. I tried 2n5088s, 2n5089, 2n2222, 2n3094, and 2n3096. The lower gain options sounded better but boring. The higher gain options just got farty and blown out with the gain cranked. That's always been my experience with single transistor circuits. So, what's the secret, how does this not get "farty"?
For a circuit this minimalistic, I think you can only get so far, especially with cranked turns of the gain pot. I've had better luck with single transistor circuits like the COT50 which is very similar but puts something between emitter and ground which I think makes things more more controllable.