Amptweaker - Tight Metal  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

The op amp with pins 12-13-14 (IC1D) is misbiased. So check R12, R13 and traces around them.

batak_man
Information

Post by batak_man »

Your etching layout is error in pin 12. :hmmm: :hmmm:
You will see that your etching layout and part layout is different in that pin :cry:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

batak_man wrote:Your etching layout is error in pin 12. :hmmm: :hmmm:
You will see that your etching layout and part layout is different in that pin :cry:
Good catch! Corrected... if etched already it can easily be corrected by cutting trace and adding small jumper from trace to pin 12. Sorry guys! :oops:
Attachments
TM3 corrected layout.pdf
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
TM3 corrected transfer.pdf
(26.23 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

hangingmonkey
Pin 12 fix.
Attachments
Image 1.png

hangingmonkey
Information

Post by hangingmonkey »

Thanks guys for looking at the numbers and identifying the problem and JokerX too for showing an easy fix.

Anyways, I did the above and now it works a treat. Nice n heavy and has a good chunk to it. Only tested it at low volumes as its midnight here in the Uk. I'll crank it at proper volumes this weekend.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

[smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif] [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif] [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]

ps, quick question, Im thinking about adding the cabsim, can that be used as a headphone out?

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

The cabsim on its own doesn't have enough juice to drive the headphones. You need a power amp to drive the headphones (which can be based on LM386 or simillar), after the cabsim. Also it may need some additional filtering.

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

hangingmonkey wrote:Thanks guys for looking at the numbers and identifying the problem and JokerX too for showing an easy fix.

Anyways, I did the above and now it works a treat. Nice n heavy and has a good chunk to it. Only tested it at low volumes as its midnight here in the Uk. I'll crank it at proper volumes this weekend.

Thanks again, you guys rock!

[smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif] [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif] [smilie=rlp_smilie_242.gif]

ps, quick question, Im thinking about adding the cabsim, can that be used as a headphone out?
Glad you got it working! Sorry for the mistake... :oops:

Here's a good headphone amp that I got from Guitar-gear.ru - Author: Sybiryak
Attachments
hotline2.pdf
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
HPA1.GIF
schematic-phonesamp_HotLine2 (1).jpg

Nicht Bernd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Nicht Bernd »

What about an 9/18V voltage doubler?
Any chance to get another sound, like J201?
Will it work on 18V?

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

J0K3RX wrote:Forgot one more thing.. This really opens up @ 18V!! Might not be a bad idea to stick a charge pump inside! I just used an 18V adapter but considering a charge pump...

All the sound clips you heard are @ 9V... just tried it today with 18
This was also what I experienced on breadboard. It will work on 18V - provided all the parts are in their safe range - and you'll probably like the sound.

BorisG
Information

Post by BorisG »

Looks like the mistake first appears on the board file on pg17-the rescaled version .Everything before pg17 is correct.

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

BorisG wrote:Looks like the mistake first appears on the board file on pg17-the rescaled version .Everything before pg17 is correct.
i think a lot people build pcb from me or from jim but don,t read about correction or verified ver.my pcb corrected
https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... p?id=21990

and from J0K3RX the same like my pcb but resized and a little few jumpers
both pcb work ok
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

BorisG
Information

Post by BorisG »

Yours is OK.If you look at Jim's rescaled version on pg17 ,you will see the error by pin12.I etched my from Jim's previous layout(basically yours) and is good.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

You can go to User Control Panel > Options > Manage attachments and get a list with all your uploads. Just delete the wrong ones and the confusion goes off.

Beedoola
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Beedoola »

Sweet, I built this using J0K3RX's most recent layout. It didn't work at first but it was because I didn't have the Effects Loop In/Out pads jumped. Sounds pretty badass. I recently got a Peavey JSX amp and I was wondering whether to keep it or use the Tight Metal with my Ampeg V4 and its a tough call!!

Props to all on their work on this circuit :applause:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Beedoola wrote:Sweet, I built this using J0K3RX's most recent layout. It didn't work at first but it was because I didn't have the Effects Loop In/Out pads jumped. Sounds pretty badass. I recently got a Peavey JSX amp and I was wondering whether to keep it or use the Tight Metal with my Ampeg V4 and its a tough call!!

Props to all on their work on this circuit :applause:

Totally rcustoms design/artwork!! I take no credit for it except for re-drawing it and making mistakes :oops: that was all me :mrgreen:

jymaze and bajaman and a few others drew the schematics. I just bought the pedal and tore it apart and got the values and traces..

I take a little cred but it all really goes as a group effort! So, GREAT WORK to EVERYBODY involved and James Brown for makin a bitchin pedal so us wanna-be's could reverse it :applause:

Glad it works for you! Would like to hear a clip if you get a chance!

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Here's one without the fx loops and a little smaller... can you guys look it over for mistakes? Always better to have somebody QA my stuff!

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Found a mistake... deleted previous layout from last post.

This one is corrected but still need some eyes on it.
Attachments
DA-NL.PNG

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Just built another one and this one sounds even better than the first one I built! Don't know why, maybe I had some questionable parts in the first one? No high pitch noise on full gain either just the usual high gain hiss but the gate cures all that. Honestly, for the amount of insane gain this pedal puts out it's really quiet without the gate!! With the gate it is dead silent! The tight control seems to work better on this one also. Again, not sure why?

This pedal is truly balls out metal!!! You could pull off heavy rock with it but If you're looking for anything else like jazz or blues then it definitely ain't for you! I have to say this is my favorite pedal/preamp no questions asked! Run this into a good power amp and cab and you're gonna rip some heads off!!! Beats the livin snot outa the triple wreck and I say that with all due respect cause I really like the triple wreck, but, this just puts it to bed crying, without supper! :twisted: One of the very few if any preamps that needs absolutely no kick from a tube screamer in front, it's like it already has one! Run it at 18v and hold on to your nuts! :twisted:

All this needs now is multi channel with a clean and we're talkin all business!! Maybe even a low wattage power amp to drive a speaker cab along with the cab simulated output and install the after preamp fx loop! :hmmm:

I just can't get over how good this thing sounds!!!

batak_man
Information

Post by batak_man »

J0K3RX :
can you share the transfer pcb? from the last you use
i found several IC raythone RC4156D. i want try it to replace tl074.. hope more better :hmmm:
i use this ic in TW(combain with 4580DD) and it more more more better.. low more punch, detail, great mid, high detail, low noise..
curious to try in TM :horsey: :horsey:

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

batak_man wrote:J0K3RX :
can you share the transfer pcb? from the last you use
i found several IC raythone RC4156D. i want try it to replace tl074.. hope more better :hmmm:
i use this ic in TW(combain with 4580DD) and it more more more better.. low more punch, detail, great mid, high detail, low noise..
curious to try in TM :horsey: :horsey:
I used this layout version on my last one.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111 ... layout.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111 ... ansfer.pdf

I have reports from a Russian forum that a good combination is TLC2272 - first, TL072 - second and third but, they have created their own layout using three dual opamps and not one quad and one dual... They did not share the layout :?

Might be nice to have a good layout using three dual opamps as well...? :hmmm: