Death by Audio - Evil Filter  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: My Glass Hero Amplification
Completed builds: 1973 Orange Graphic 120 head
Fender Champ clone head
custom Pentode input single channel 20 watt head
custom "plexi" 5 watt single ended head
custom Pentode input single channel ~2 watt combo (smaller version of my 20watt)
( i build amps and pedals )

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
Interfax Harmonic Percolator
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Big Muff into a DBA Fuzz War
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Armageddon
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808
another TS808 modded out for bass
various loop, boost, kill, stutter, feedback and signal pad stompboxes

pedal modds
big muff clipping modds and internal feedback loops w/ LDRs
EHX POG exp pedal modd
VOX 847 wah modds (expression pedals should be expressive)
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

this list is tragically outdated..

Post by Glass_Hero »

there is a video on youtube.. i was able to get this from the video.. its very similar but not the same as the original version..

diodes are 1n4001 or similar..

ENJOY!!
Attachments
DBA-evil_filter_better_2014_val.png
DBA-evil_filter_better_2014_val.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 9313 times

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Death by Audio Fuzz War
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi V5
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Multi-Diode and Feedback Mod
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Room Reverb and Reverb Length Mod
Boss DS-1 Synth Circuit Bend

Post by jrfox92 »

Are you talking about a demo video or the video where they show the schematic right to the camera?

Also, thank you for all these schematics, dude.

Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: My Glass Hero Amplification
Completed builds: 1973 Orange Graphic 120 head
Fender Champ clone head
custom Pentode input single channel 20 watt head
custom "plexi" 5 watt single ended head
custom Pentode input single channel ~2 watt combo (smaller version of my 20watt)
( i build amps and pedals )

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
Interfax Harmonic Percolator
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Big Muff into a DBA Fuzz War
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Armageddon
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808
another TS808 modded out for bass
various loop, boost, kill, stutter, feedback and signal pad stompboxes

pedal modds
big muff clipping modds and internal feedback loops w/ LDRs
EHX POG exp pedal modd
VOX 847 wah modds (expression pedals should be expressive)
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

this list is tragically outdated..

Post by Glass_Hero »

this one..

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

So where does the filter connect to the signal?
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

EBRAddict
Information

Post by EBRAddict »

It looks like that active filter IC is $18 and the optocouplers are $3 each. That's an investment for a noisemaker.

benweasel
Information

Post by benweasel »

Are these two independets effects or has this two 3PDT or enything else ?

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

Two footswitches.. You can see the proposed artwork for the pedal at 2:31 in the video above.
Also, you can see how he solders.. :applause: and we all know the quality of soldering in DBA pedals.
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

~arph wrote:Two footswitches.. You can see the proposed artwork for the pedal at 2:31 in the video above.
pic posted by jurioste at ilf...

along with a summary of what he believes the pedal is:

"The two filters in the sound saw were like that of a 'wah' and 'bass to treble' (like the tone knob of the fuzz war). The Kill Kill filter used two of the same filters that have the similar 'wah' range.

As you may or may not know, DBA recycled/recycles several circuits and each time they put out a new pedal using one of those circuits, it's slightly improved.

The filter in the Evil Filter is that of the 'Evil Filter' (go figure right?). The Evil Filter circuit was used in several pedals like the Reznor Filter, Fuzz Fuzz Filter, Sound Master, APTBS wah filter +more. As far as I know and from what I've heard playing through my own pedals, it's not the same as the filters found in the Sound Saw and Kill Kill filters.

The Evil Filter has a few options added to it like ‘Resonance’, Frequency, shape select, and output. Another addition is a ‘warp’ jack for an expression pedal…
This one never worked for me so I can’t tell you more about it but it will be included with this new production model.
One of the downsides to the new version is that there is no 6-way selector switch to change fuzz flavors.

Some of the last runs of the Evil Filter had a little switch on them for fuzz so the production ones should be derived from those Evil Filters.
If you see the guts, it’s quite interesting. The prototype, first run, and first run with fuzz, ALL had the SAME boards. The production ones just weren’t fully populated. This is another thing DBA did because they offered custom options and/or tweaked some for their personal use.

Sounds like high/lo/band pass filter with ring mod controls, and a three way tone switch, but now with fuzz."

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=14 ... 70#p943783

@ glass hero. thanks for posting the schematic. i've got a kill kill clone that i've never got running right and i think this will inspire me to see that through and maybe add a little evil as i go.

re dba schems, i saw the list you posted at ilf of the others you mentioned you have. would definitely be interested in hearing and seeing more about the 'space cave' here, since ilf have quite an 'unprogressive' policy re posting that kind of thing there. might be fun to think about while we wait to see what the ghost delay is about.

the reverberation machine schematic is the dba i'm most curious about. am deep in a belton thing atm.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Glass_Hero wrote: i was able to get this from the video.. its very similar but not the same as the original version..
The orientation of those transistors looks a bit suspect to me (unless it is a Devi Ever design of course :lol: ).
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver

Post by jrfox92 »

tabbycat wrote:
~arph wrote:Two footswitches.. You can see the proposed artwork for the pedal at 2:31 in the video above.
pic posted by jurioste at ilf...

[ Image ]

along with a summary of what he believes the pedal is:

"The two filters in the sound saw were like that of a 'wah' and 'bass to treble' (like the tone knob of the fuzz war). The Kill Kill filter used two of the same filters that have the similar 'wah' range.

As you may or may not know, DBA recycled/recycles several circuits and each time they put out a new pedal using one of those circuits, it's slightly improved.

The filter in the Evil Filter is that of the 'Evil Filter' (go figure right?). The Evil Filter circuit was used in several pedals like the Reznor Filter, Fuzz Fuzz Filter, Sound Master, APTBS wah filter +more. As far as I know and from what I've heard playing through my own pedals, it's not the same as the filters found in the Sound Saw and Kill Kill filters.

The Evil Filter has a few options added to it like ‘Resonance’, Frequency, shape select, and output. Another addition is a ‘warp’ jack for an expression pedal…
This one never worked for me so I can’t tell you more about it but it will be included with this new production model.
One of the downsides to the new version is that there is no 6-way selector switch to change fuzz flavors.

Some of the last runs of the Evil Filter had a little switch on them for fuzz so the production ones should be derived from those Evil Filters.
If you see the guts, it’s quite interesting. The prototype, first run, and first run with fuzz, ALL had the SAME boards. The production ones just weren’t fully populated. This is another thing DBA did because they offered custom options and/or tweaked some for their personal use.

Sounds like high/lo/band pass filter with ring mod controls, and a three way tone switch, but now with fuzz."

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=14 ... 70#p943783

@ glass hero. thanks for posting the schematic. i've got a kill kill clone that i've never got running right and i think this will inspire me to see that through and maybe add a little evil as i go.

re dba schems, i saw the list you posted at ilf of the others you mentioned you have. would definitely be interested in hearing and seeing more about the 'space cave' here, since ilf have quite an 'unprogressive' policy re posting that kind of thing there. might be fun to think about while we wait to see what the ghost delay is about.

the reverberation machine schematic is the dba i'm most curious about. am deep in a belton thing atm.
Jurioste is fairly close to the truth.
The Evil Filter is, basically, a synth filter (I'm pretty sure it's a State Variable Filter).
Originally I thought the Reznor filter was just a slightly modified one, but, according to Glass Hero, it's just an Anderton Super Tone Control, which makes sense based on the (admittedly fairly limited) gut shots I've seen. I read that the APTBS filter is the same thing as the Reznor filter from this guy in France who has one of the Reznor filters and has opened for APTBS a few times.
I haven't seen anything beyond the .gif on DBA's site of the Sound Master, but the site says it's based on a Studiomaster EQ, so I assume it differs from the other filters.
Also, I've only seen three models so far (including the newest one) and, from what I've gathered, they use "ring" and "resonance" as interchangeable terms. So there's no ring mod.
I also think that the fuzz is the Harmonic Transformer, but I haven't found many details on the fuzz, so I don't know.

Another thing is that I think any attempt to clone the Ghost Delay would probably be futile unless you can do SMD stuff. I think they get the circuit boards/smd attachments done in China and then have to fix just about everything once it gets to the states.

Just what little I've managed to figure out about the filters and such so far. :mrgreen:

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver

Post by jrfox92 »

So, I took a screen shot of their computer schematic which seems to have a few extra things going on so I'll try copying it up in the next day or two.

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver

Post by jrfox92 »

jrfox92 wrote:So, I took a screen shot of their computer schematic which seems to have a few extra things going on so I'll try copying it up in the next day or two.
Okay, so, based on the other schematic I found out what the fuzz/filter switches were and how they're connected to each other.
So, the DPDT switch in Glass Hero's schematic is the Fuzz Type switch (I think it acts like the intensity switch on the Harmonic Transformer).
The 3PDT switches are connected together in a slightly hectic fashion (as far as looking at it on a schematic is concerned).
Enjoy. :horsey:
Attachments
Scribbled schematic
Scribbled schematic
I didn't bother putting values in as the schematic is the same as Glass Hero's outside of the 3PDT switches
I didn't bother putting values in as the schematic is the same as Glass Hero's outside of the 3PDT switches
Computer schematic
Computer schematic

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

deltafred wrote:The orientation of those transistors looks a bit suspect to me (unless it is a Devi Ever design of course :lol: ).
DBA and Devi Ever have the same tendencies in that regard.

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver

Post by jrfox92 »

Something I just realized. Glass Hero, you should adjust your capacitor values. The four caps at the beginning of the fuzz circuit are actually labeled based on code rather than values. So, C1 is 105 and would be 1uF while C2, C3 and C4 are 104 and still .1uF/100nF.

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver

Post by jrfox92 »

Okay, so I made a Vero layout.
I think it's all correct, not 100% sure, I plan to start breadboarding tomorrow but I won't have everything for it until next week.
Also, I don't have vero software, so it'd be nice if someone would actually make it presentable and understandable, too.
The edits were made with MS Paint, so please don't freak out because it looks like I did it all while drunk. [smilie=wine.gif]
Attachments
Scan_Pic0001 (2).jpg

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

jrfox92 wrote:Okay, so I made a Vero layout.
I think it's all correct, not 100% sure, I plan to start breadboarding tomorrow but I won't have everything for it until next week.
Also, I don't have vero software, so it'd be nice if someone would actually make it presentable and understandable, too.
The edits were made with MS Paint, so please don't freak out because it looks like I did it all while drunk. [smilie=wine.gif]
many thanks for the efforts, jrfox. you've definitely made this your misson to crack.

i can mess up even the neatest vero layout (it's a talent) so will wave your layout under the noses of some grand master vero ninjas i know to see if they bite. and drag it back here if any takers.

i like that drunk look, the hand of the artist. the vero layouting software most (even i) use is diylc. it's free and pretty intuitive. no long manuals to read etc. it can also speed things up re small changes in contrast with pen and pencil, as you just shuttle components around with mouseclicks instead of having to rub out and start again.
https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator

i will play around with it myself re a layout but i think it's way too big for what i can manage at the moment. but maybe.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

here's a cheeky shortcut to a proper layout that may serve our needs in the meantime. bit easier to read.
evilfilter 2014 sketch layout - Copy.jpg

d312a
Information

Post by d312a »

jrfox92 wrote:Okay, so I made a Vero layout.
Big thanks for your effort!
I made a vero on DIYLC based on your layout with a bit of assistance by tabbycat

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabbl ... 857899-346

albru80
Information

Post by albru80 »

I've managed to reduce the size a bit:
Attachments
DBA Evil Filter.png
DBA Evil Filter.png (80.26 KiB) Viewed 8729 times

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver

Post by jrfox92 »

Anyone verify it? I breadboarded the fuzz circuit, but it was so gated it just farted out notes.