Way Huge - Swollen Pickle

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

It may be helpful for you to check out this thread regarding the Swollen Pickle.

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 10&t=15775
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

muskelproz
Information

Post by muskelproz »

Thanks for the link!
Heres another Update, since the last one ignored a few postings here. ;) R11,16,18 and 27 were changed to 470k.
Attachments
swollenpicklemk2_3.gif

Jaicen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Jaicen »

Anybody know what schem values to use to make a Swollen Pickle?

I've rediscovered my love for Offspring, and as such I NEED a Swollen Pickle to make me sound like Noodles! :slap:

G5120fx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by G5120fx »

shortscalemike made a vero for the swollen pickle: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtop ... 6f909896e3 (scroll down)

I don´t know if its verified by now, but give it a try and then tell us!

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

Jaicen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Jaicen »

Awesome, thanks for that never thought to use the search engine.... :applause:

:slap:
That's the first thing I did, and I only found one link to a dead thread, and a lot of supposition, no actual schems as such.

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

I did quite a bit of Swollen Pickle research. Here are the schematics for pedals that nail the Swollen Pickle sound. They are not exact duplicates in order to save space on the Vero layout, eliminate what I personally felt were un-necessary parts, and the tone stack values were adjusted to give the same mid-cut as the pickle tone stack, with caps I already had in stock. I have Vero Layouts and also PDF files for etching boards for them. Let me know if you want them.

All layouts have been verified by successful builds. I use these pedals every day. These layouts sound good with quad transistors, 2N5088's and germaniums.
Attachments
ModSPFinalBuffLayoutJpeg.jpg
SwPickleClassic.jpg
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... le#p184909

There is the link to my thread regarding the Swollen Pickle. It is a good read if you are interested in how I actually came up with my schematics.

Be well and I hope this helps you.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

the thank you button wasn't working for me , so thanks for posting the info
I'm not interested in building one right now , but you're right it is interesting to see

Jaicen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Jaicen »

Thanks for that link. I'll go through it and check it all out when I have more time but it looks like a winner.
Do you have any other confirmed builds?

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Jaicen wrote:Thanks for that link. I'll go through it and check it all out when I have more time but it looks like a winner.
Do you have any other confirmed builds?
GuitarCarl used the classic Vero layout to build a 'Pickled Hoof' which is a big muff with germanium transistors and a Swollen Pickle tone stack. He modified some of values to suit his own taste.

So yes, there is one build independent of my own that confirmed the layout is good. Once again I have built several of these pedals using the layouts posted here. You should double check the vero layout or circuit board PDF against the schematic if you have any doubts.

I have included a Zipped folder below containing all the files that I have used for successful builds. I cannot guarantee you will have a successful build due to factors I cannot control, ie. soldering and running wires to the correct lugs on the pots. These are relatively complicated vero layouts so go slow and be careful.
Attachments
SP_Files.zip
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 215 times

kabi
Information

Post by kabi »

ShortScaleMike wrote:Thanks for the input. I've changed the transistor type, and added the 330uF filter cap, had to do something ugly with the 3rd clipping stage however.

[ Image ]
Hi all,

not meaning to beat a dead horse here :D but any chance this vero (ShortScaleMike's on page 3) is verified by now?

thanks

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Bit of a bump with a little question.
I was wondering if any of you knows about possible changes to the schematic for the two editions that followed Jim Dunlop's MkII.
There's the slightly smaller MkIIS and the Dirty Donny Edition.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Hello lads, I have a question about using a different array in the pickle. See, our forum brother digi2t suggested the use of an MPQ2222 in this post to simulate old fashioned silicon transistors in a early style Big Muff.
Since the MPQ2222 has the same pinout as the MPQ3904 "pickle chip" it got me thinking. In theory, it should be possible to order a mkII pickle clone PCB from one of the DIY shops, load it with the MPQ2222 and replace the other components for the values that are in my favourite early Muff type pedal. (Hohner Tri Dirty Booster)

I'm just thinking out loud here, please do correct me if I'm wrong ! But if I'm right, then I'm wondering about that added coupling cap before the tone control. (C11 in early.memoirs' schematic) Can I jumper this is or it a necessity to prevent the tone pot from crackling ? If the latter, will it affect the sound of the tone control much ?

thank you for reading this and cheers

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

Aha, finally found someone who love TDB too.

why not breadboard that Cub?

im just thinking and begin to draw something called Muff Development board. With trannies position like mpq ic (love that because the simetry). Gain, clipping and recovery in one board. And pots (with caps and other) in different board, this can be stacked or via wire. With this, we can build ALL muff variant. Right?

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

The TDB is nothing short of brilliant ! But before I order all sorts of bits and bobs to stuff the breadboard for an array version, I'm hoping to hear from people more knowledgeable than I am whether or not it's worth the effort.
Perhaps somebody has even experimented with a MPQ2222 in their pickle (or a different array type of muff project) and has some interesting experiences to share ?

These are the pickle boards I could find, all for the mkII version. There might be more, there might even be boards for clones of the first incarnation, but I couldn't find them. The one from Fuzzdog might be an interesting base for your Muff Development Board.

Fuzzdog - Engorged Gherkin Fuzz
PedalPCB - Gerkin Fuzz
Delyk PCBs - I'm a Big Dill

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Found another DIY mkII pickle PCB! This one's a bit different, as an IC is not an option.
Jeds Peds - Zucchini