Catalinbread - SCOD (Super Charged Overdrive)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

If I will not be able to increase his gain in a short time, it will go to the trash soon :)

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Shin-ei Fuzz, Sixties Fuzzface, Fender Blender, Bazz Fuss, RAT, Tonebender, SFT, Blue Box, Super-fuzz, Big Muff (many versions), Mosrite Fuzzrite

Post by Brainbender »

gigelmargel wrote:Thank you Brainbender for the informations about the contour knob.
No problem! Btw. don't give up! Leave this project for some quite time... No hurry! :thumbsup

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

Brainbender wrote:
gigelmargel wrote:Thank you Brainbender for the informations about the contour knob.
No problem! Btw. don't give up! Leave this project for some quite time... No hurry! :thumbsup
OK... :hmmm: ....:)

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Factory, Shin-ei Fuzz, Sixties Fuzzface, Fender Blender, Bazz Fuss, RAT, Tonebender, SFT, Blue Box, Super-fuzz, Big Muff (many versions), Mosrite Fuzzrite

Post by Brainbender »

yeah, that's the way I do with the things which are hard to beat... (like my clone of Fender Blender; it didn't worked, so i leaved it for 2 or 3 months on a shelf!) now it's fully functional! :wink:

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

Brainbender wrote:yeah, that's the way I do with the things which are hard to beat... (like my clone of Fender Blender; it didn't worked, so i leaved it for 2 or 3 months on a shelf!) now it's fully functional! :wink:
I did the same thing twice with Ampeg Scrambler :D

brushthrower
Information

Post by brushthrower »

Any news on this project?

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

brushthrower wrote:Any news on this project?
It works :)
But I don't like it :(...too weak for my taste & gear :?

brushthrower
Information

Post by brushthrower »

gigelmargel wrote:
brushthrower wrote:Any news on this project?
It works :)
But I don't like it :(...too weak for my taste & gear :?

Hmmm...from the samples I've heard and what I have read, it should not be weak at all. Despite "overdrive" being in the name this is actually a high-gain distortion pedal which goes into fuzz territory at the upper ranges.

My build also works but barely reaches a mild overdrive. I've been a bit too busy for pedal building lately, but I'll try to get some readings posted for ya. Have you taken any reading Gigelmargel?

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

Mine sounds better after I replaced the 100nF cap from the first MOSFET booster with a 100uF...but still too weak :(
I think that stomp works better with stronger pickups that my Squier Affinity has :)

Brainbender
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Brainbender »

gigelmargel wrote:I think that stomp works better with stronger pickups that my Squier Affinity has :)

:hmmm:
Yeah, you should try it with some hotter pickups and tibe amp!

brushthrower
Information

Post by brushthrower »

gigelmargel wrote:Mine sounds better after I replaced the 100nF cap from the first MOSFET booster with a 100uF...but still too weak :(
I think that stomp works better with stronger pickups that my Squier Affinity has :)
I tried switching C2 from 100nf to 100uf. Definately an increase in the amount of gain, but still lacking. Fuzzy, muffled and unfocused. I'm playing an SG clone with hot pick-ups into a Orange Tiny Terror, so I don't think that's what is at issue here (at least in my case). :hmmm: Hmmm.

gigelmargel
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by gigelmargel »

Brainbender wrote:can you record some sample of it, please? my friend has original one, so i can tell you is there any difference between your clone and the original. :wink:
Sorry Brainbender, but I've just send it to the recycle bin...this thing means that I took out all the pots and jacks and a part of caps :(...maybe I will resolder it to try to make some mods on it...but not in the next future :(

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Madbean,
Have you been able to get back to this project? Love your layouts, and your website!

Thanks
Rob

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

I still plan on going back over this with a fine toothed comb but keep getting caught up in other projects.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

If I can help any any way let me know. I have kind of stopped making effects for right now, and doing more layout work.

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

caspercody wrote:If I can help any any way let me know. I have kind of stopped making effects for right now, and doing more layout work.
Maybe once I've double checked the schematic you could put a layout together. I know Brian was going to, but I also know he's a busy chap!

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I'll see about finishing this one off....it's been a long time since I looked at it.

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

madbean wrote:I'll see about finishing this one off....it's been a long time since I looked at it.
Likewise. Kept slipping down the priority list.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

madbean wrote:I'll see about finishing this one off....it's been a long time since I looked at it.
Cool! :thumbsup Would be great to get some new input as I'm also experimenting with a similar configuration.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Is this the correct version? I looked at the photo's and came up with this version.