Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

Barcode wrote:
cacophony wrote:
madbean wrote:Old layout is old.
Is this the final layout for Analogman's King of Tone? Any build reports? Is the PCB transfer layout already made 1 is to 1 ratio?
There are numerous build reports and comments in the thread. please search.

to find if the layout is scaled properly, print it and place an 8 pin dip socket over the holes the opamp should go in, if it lines up, cool, if not, adjust as necessary until it does.

and just for clarity's sake, you should know that this particular layout is half of the king of tone, as the king of tone actually has two of these cascaded. we just didn't see the point.
but I can still use this as a whole for DIY analogman KOT right?
madbean wrote:IIRC, the image is 200 DPI, so if you print at that resolution it will come out fine. I have a newer layout for it, but really, this one is fine. The only difference between the two is that all the pads for the pots are lined up on the top, and it doesn't require any jumpers. There's no difference, circuit-wise.
Alright. What's IIRC BTW?

KHELSTROM
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by KHELSTROM »

but I can still use this as a whole for DIY analogman KOT right?

Yes, the KOT is two identical circuits in one box. Just build two of this circuit, put them in one box and wire the 3PDT output of the first circuit to the 3PDT input of the second one,that's it. You can build just one but I like having both so I can set it up as having either a pre or post boost.

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

how does madbean's layout compared to Deaj's? Is it the clipping section only?

tlpruitt
Information

Post by tlpruitt »

It always bothered me that the drive control only seemed useful in the last 30% of its range (from about 2:00 to the max 5:00 position). Yesterday I changed the resistor in the first IC stage's feedback loop from 10k to 56k and changed the drive pot from 100k linear to 50k linear. This more or less takes the drive available from the last half of the stock 100k drive pot and spreads it across the entire range of the 50k pot.

With this 56k resistor and 50k pot arrangement it makes the drive knob less sensitive to tiny adjustments so it is easier to dial in the amount of drive. It now seems to go from a mildly overdriven boost with the drive pot at minimum to the same overdrive as the stock configuration with the drive pot wide open.

I thought others might find this little mod useful.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

cacophony wrote:how does madbean's layout compared to Deaj's? Is it the clipping section only?
deaj's is not the king of tone. deaj's is just a bunch of mods he did to the original bluesbreaker circuit (which is what the king of tone is, with a few component changes). the madbean is the actual king of tone, deaj's is a different circuit.

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

Is it fine to substitute 1N5819 to 1N5817?

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

Is it ok to vary the current limiting resistor of the LED?

B_of_H
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B_of_H »

I just opened up an old jvc bookshelf cassette/cd stereo and found a bunch of diodes that look identical to the ma856's I got from effectsconnection. Some are identical while some have a white stripe and others have a blue stripe.

I have enough for a few more builds now. :applause:

PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

If somebody has the time, could they post the schematic and layout for one side of the KOT?
Also, if you were modding one of the GGG Bluesbreakers, how would you go about adding a toggle to switch between the dip switches? Is that possible?

PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

Sorry, I thought of another question after I finished posting, and I couldn't figure out how to edit. How do you guys go about switching out different components to try them out? Once I build this I'm hoping to go about trying out different chips and diodes, and I was wondering how you guys were able to experiment without building a whole new board?

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

PedalPlayer wrote:Sorry, I thought of another question after I finished posting, and I couldn't figure out how to edit. How do you guys go about switching out different components to try them out? Once I build this I'm hoping to go about trying out different chips and diodes, and I was wondering how you guys were able to experiment without building a whole new board?
If you don't want to swap components.. it's probably best to breadboard it.
For things like diodes, build a separate board that lets you switch in different types to try. you'll use it a lot if you like to fine tune your designs.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

madbean wrote:And here is my completed build. I used a pretty wide variety of components based on availability and, of course, mojo.

Clickee below for bigee

Madbean, where did you get the board for your build? Thanks, it looks really cool.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Here is the updated King of [K]lones board I alluded to some months ago. It is an improved layout with no jumpers. Have at it!

I do have a newer board that has the full KOT circuit with internal dip switches like the original. That is available through my PCB service. Of course, you can use the King of [K]lones board to do the full circuit...just put two in one box!
Print the PnP image at 600DPI for an exact match. The other two docs are 300DPI.
king_PNP.gif
king_LAYOUT.gif
king_SCHEMATIC.gif

gtfender
Information

Post by gtfender »

Very Great ! madbean :lol:

PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone know where I could find a breadboard this size
https://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?ima ... erojs2.gif
Also, what are the red squares with the red circles in the middle?
Thanks for all the help guys, you've really made my first few days here a positive experience.

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

Pedalplayer, that layout is a strip board , not a bread board. The red dots are cuts in the strips. Hope that helps.
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

PedalPlayer wrote:Sorry for all the questions, but does anyone know where I could find a breadboard this size
https://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?ima ... erojs2.gif
Also, what are the red squares with the red circles in the middle?
Thanks for all the help guys, you've really made my first few days here a positive experience.
Where these squares are the copper strip should be cut! The red dot is the existing hole at that spot! The simplest way to do this is with a drill bit using the hole as a center! Deep enough only to cut the copper strip at that point!

Success! :D

PedalPlayer
Information

Post by PedalPlayer »

PedalPlayer wrote:If somebody has the time, could they post the schematic and layout for one side of the KOT?
Also, if you were modding one of the GGG Bluesbreakers, how would you go about adding a toggle to switch between the dip switches? Is that possible?
I just realized what was posted in this thread is the schematic for one side. Sorry guys, I got confused.

madmac
Information

Post by madmac »

PedalPlayer wrote:
PedalPlayer wrote:If somebody has the time, could they post the schematic and layout for one side of the KOT?
I just realized what was posted in this thread is the schematic for one side. Sorry guys, I got confused.
Yes.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

@madbean: Thanks for the beautifully designed PCB and nice schematic! 8)