Pete Cornish - NG-2

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

SPeter wrote:"...potted in semi-flexible resin... to eliminate the possibility of microphonic feedback... dense potting material...
That actually sounds more like urethane used for potting EI transformers than just some shielding paint. Interesting.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

After looking at the picture below I start to understand:
The build quality of Pete Cornish stuff is so poor that it has to be potted as vital protection:
a) against environmental conditions which can cause unwanted changes to the electronic circuitry and
b) to eliminate the possibility of microphonic feedback that can occur when high gain devices are used in close proximity to amplifiers at full volume. Glass fibre PCBs are prone to resonant vibrations and our use of dense potting material increases the mass of the circuit board to place any possible resonances outside the audio frequency spectrum."
This applies only to Pete Cornish builds, otherwise I wouldn´t have an explanation why Pete Cornish isn`t potting the pcb´s of other manufacturers - like Demeter (at the right lower middle) - too. Here is the proof:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

unbeliever
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by unbeliever »

analogguru wrote:After looking at the picture below I start to understand:
The build quality of Pete Cornish stuff is so poor that it has to be potted as vital protection:
Now that's just silly...

... a simpler explanation is he uses it to 'protect' his circuits (yes, yes, sure, they can be degooped - but has anyone seen a degooped PC build? Nope).

I'm not going to argue that he's the only who can build stuff for high-profile musos, but at the same time if his stuff is of such poor quality than I hardly think it's likely he'd have such a good reputation. In fact, the picture you've used is a visual testimonial to his attention to detail and high quality of workmanship.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

unbeliever wrote: ... a simpler explanation is he uses it to 'protect' his circuits (yes, yes, sure, they can be degooped - but has anyone seen a degooped PC build? Nope).
From earlier in the thread -

https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... d=1264&t=1

No goop.

:D

Just giving you a hard time.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Stalin had a great reputation with the Russian people in the 60s (if you would have asked them), does that mean him ok? No, he was a paranoid mass-murderer.Reputation means nothing of course.

I thought Cornish initially only did custom builds for stars gooping those units -which he most probably would have to service and repair himself- would be very stupid. I seem to remember he did have some pedals in small series for stupid rich kids, so maybe the stars are now using Lovepedals and he had to start boutique-ing?

On gooping, we had this discussion before I think
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=958
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Krinkle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Krinkle »

How about I build a fence here, to see who's on what side, and who's sitting on it.

I'll throw in some money for a P2 (everybody argues that it is or is not a modified Big Muff, with a buffer) and we'll get one of the top guys here to degoop it (the guys that did the KLONED project). If everybody who argued, for or against, or everybody that looked and felt like arguing, threw in $10 bucks I can guarantee you that you'd have enough to buy one of these pedals in no time.

I think that there are a LOT of honest people here that I would trust with my $10 (the guys that did the KLONED project) until we had enough. If you feel so strongly one way or another, pony up or shut up, I say. So instead of perpetuating the argument I'll ask if anybody would collect the money. If somebody we can agree on will step up, we can then suggest a de-gooper, and see if we agree on that.

And if YOU don't want to do it that's fine, I have absolutely no interest in discussing the merit in this. BUT if you don't want US to do it, go back top TGP :wink:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I'll always be happy to put into this and any similar project idea.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Krinkle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Krinkle »

There you go, we're up $20 already, IvIark and myself. I'm not kidding about this. As soon as we get enough interest we can seriously decide on who will hold the money and when, where and how to send it. Hopefully some of the KLONED people will have the time to jump in and help, they were able to do a great job on that project.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

While not having a clue who's Krinkle...

You can add my 10 to your list. PM me when it's tome to paypay you.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

unbeliever
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by unbeliever »

modman wrote:Stalin had a great reputation with the Russian people in the 60s (if you would have asked them), does that mean him ok? No, he was a paranoid mass-murderer.Reputation means nothing of course.
How can I put this succinctly? Bollocks. And that is a ridiculous comparison.

Making the leap from Pete Cornish to Stalin .... doesn't give me much hope for sensible discussion in this thread. :(

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

unbeliever wrote:And that is a ridiculous comparison.

Making the leap from Pete Cornish to Stalin ....
I have great respect for Mr. Modman, but I agree totally with this.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Krinkle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Krinkle »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:While not having a clue who's Krinkle...

You can add my 10 to your list. PM me when it's tome to paypay you.
Hi Dirk,

I'm just a guitar/pedal/electronics lover from Toronto, Canada. I only found out about this forum a little while ago and it's perfect for me. I stumbled upon Brigg's site that pointed me to the KLONED project and I spent about two days straight surfing this forum, really great stuff. I emailed him about doing some PC pedals and he said to just bring it up on the forum. I figured this was a good spot to jump in. I have reverse engineered countless things but never de-gooped. If someone can de-goop the pedal I can get my digital calipers out and produce a mechanical 3D model (ACAD/dxf), traces (with widths) included. I'm not interested in toppling PC's empire, nor do I think we can or should. I'm not looking to make these to sell or anything, or stop or perpetuate the arguments, I think that's a waste of time and energy. I'm just a very curious person and I just want to know what's under the hood.

So we're at $30 and counting, everybody please spread the word.

Darrin

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

One these Cornish pedals would be extremely easy to de-goop. That silly red stuff just scrapes right off. There's pics of a Teese wah at Effector Repair that had the same kinda stuff on it and it came right off no problem. It looks like it just peels off and don't have to worry about hurting any of the parts.

please someone just do it already. Tracing circuits is really easy, especially simple things like fuzzes and whatever. C'MON JUST DO IT!!!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Krinkle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Krinkle »

soulsonic wrote:One these Cornish pedals would be extremely easy to de-goop. That silly red stuff just scrapes right off. There's pics of a Teese wah at Effector Repair that had the same kinda stuff on it and it came right off no problem. It looks like it just peels off and don't have to worry about hurting any of the parts.

please someone just do it already. Tracing circuits is really easy, especially simple things like fuzzes and whatever. C'MON JUST DO IT!!!
If someone was going to do it with their pedal they would have done it by now. We're going to have to get one and do it ourselves.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

They're too chickenshit to tear it up because it's so expensive. That's his secret... make it so expensive it scares people from opening it. I can't fault him for that; it's a brilliant scam!
I do respect the quality with which he builds... and I do understand the logic behind making the pedals stupid expensive for no reason.... but oh well, if you people MUST know what's in those stupid things I guess a community fund will have to be started.. but don't expect to get your money back. I have a torn up Klon here and I'm not really sure how to sell it to get the money back... if you know what I mean.

Anyone want to buy our degooped Klon? I promise it will be in perfect working order... just no goop.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

soulsonic wrote:Anyone want to buy our degooped Klon? I promise it will be in perfect working order... just no goop.
Just stick it on eBay. I'm happy to put into anything like this, but if we can put the remains on eBay at the end then whatever it generates can go to the next effect
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

I'm afraid eBay won't receive it well, with things being unoriginal... It basically needs rebuilt.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

RE: Klon - regoop it. :shock: :lol:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

soulsonic wrote:I'm afraid eBay won't receive it well, with things being unoriginal... It basically needs rebuilt.
You could always sell it as a repaired item. OK so it won't get $800 but I bet it still gets a few hundred.
Admittedly it's only the really sought after mojo pedals that will still fetch decent money, but I expect a cheapish repaired Klon or Cornish pedal would attract a good few bidders.
PurplePeopleEater wrote:RE: Klon - regoop it. :shock: :lol:
Classic :D

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

I can rebuild it with all the original parts, but the lack of goop would probably turn people off. I COULD sell it MODDED! that would be different. I came up with some good gain boost mods. I think they're good too... still keep the original tone intact.
Stupid goop, ruins everything!