Pete Cornish - NG-2

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

Re: Pete Cornish - NG-2

Postby BJF » 27 Dec 2008, 19:54

IvIark wrote:
BJF wrote: and frankly would you not more like to be content with what you do than just grasping after what this other guy does?

Some people are just intrigued about how other people do things, not everyone here is a pedal builder or would consider making effects commercially, it is just because we are generally inquisitive. I assume your inquisitive nature is what encouraged you to dissect a Screaming Bird to see how it worked when you started out.

Hi,

I will say this that if my Screaming Bird would have continued screaming I would have been content with the magic it did.

The first time it broke down I just asked someone who was an engineer then to fix it for me......

that said yes of course one would be inquisitive........

it depends on how much you are left alone to get your mojo working

Have fun
BJ
BJF
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby BJF » 27 Dec 2008, 19:56

Hi,

Oh, and I left an input on this subject only as it could be helpful in some respect.

That's all
Thanks and have fun
BJ
BJF
Resistor Ronker

Postby BJF » 27 Dec 2008, 20:13

Fuzzer wrote:
BJF wrote:Can you tell what the controls do?

The pedal is not mine; and the other guy wasn't proposing to clone a Cornish and sell counterfeits, he was just proposing to sell the degooped pedal.

:slap: you didn't read the thread Mister BJ.

Here is the commercial description;
http://www.petecornish.co.uk/SAENG-2.html

HI,

OK I have read the description now- and a stabilized germanium transistor stage being driven by an amplifier of 20 times of gain......

You'd have rfi solutions too but what does all of this suggest?

Have fun
BJ
BJF
Resistor Ronker

Postby Fuzzer » 27 Dec 2008, 21:17

I am not an english speaker naturally. I think I have a good understanding of the language and I can express myself acceptably, but given that I don't interact with english speakers sometimes I migh utilize expressions that to me are appropiate, but in a conversation context might be offensive. My apologies to Mister BJF if this was the case.

I'm sorry If I sometimes have come across agressively, my intention here is to be in good mood with everyone else, from the gurus, to the newcomers.

An off-note for everyone;

If you want to see knockoffs of Cornish stuff check out the Skrydstuff guy, he makes the Cornish / Custom Audio Electronics thing in Europe, my guess is he bought one, reversed it and satarted doing the same thing. Even the labeling was identical.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.
Fuzzer
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby Fuzzer » 27 Dec 2008, 21:35

This unit has been built using the finest available components and constructed to the highest standards but should any fault occur during the twelve months from date of purchase please return it post paid to the above address where under guarantee repairs of any original manufacturing fault will be carried out (normal wear, misuse, unauthorized modifications or accidental damage excepted). The warranty will be voided if the guarantee labels are damaged or removed.

Hey, ¿what kind of warranty is this?, ¿only a year?
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.
Fuzzer
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby BJF » 27 Dec 2008, 22:28

Fuzzer wrote:I am not an english speaker naturally. I think I have a good understanding of the language and I can express myself acceptably, but given that I don't interact with english speakers sometimes I migh utilize expressions that to me are appropiate, but in a conversation context might be offensive. My apologies to Mister BJF if this was the case.

I'm sorry If I sometimes have come across agressively, my intention here is to be in good mood with everyone else, from the gurus, to the newcomers.

An off-note for everyone;

If you want to see knockoffs of Cornish stuff check out the Skrydstuff guy, he makes the Cornish / Custom Audio Electronics thing in Europe, my guess is he bought one, reversed it and satarted doing the same thing. Even the labeling was identical.

Hi,

Well, I am not an english speaker either and you would not have to apologize.
I thought for a while I must have come across in an aggressive manner that was not the intent

Thank you and it's good to get along
BJ
BJF
Resistor Ronker

Postby JimiB » 28 Dec 2008, 00:01

Big Muff into germ booster?
What circuit would be a good "High Impedance, Unity Gain, Class A, Buffer Preamp"?
JimiB
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby PurplePeopleEater » 28 Dec 2008, 01:33

Going by the ad copy :

The NG-2 Fuzz ...... designed to simulate ''Imminent Amp Death'', this custom built unit features several separate stages so that the user may tune it to his or her own degree of ''I.A.D.'' The first stage is a Linear ''Drive'' with up to +26dB of gain feeding the second stage; a stabilized ''Germanium'' pre-amp which overloads smoothly when overdriven. The third stage is where the NG magic takes place; it simulates a tube amp that been over biased or has suffered serious tube or output transformer failure (the sound just before the fuse blows). The ''Sustain'' control adjusts the signal level into the third section and can be adjusted from ''Tired Output Tubes'' to ''Melted Tubes'' and ''Shorted Output Transformer''. ''Tone'' and NG Volume'' controls complete the ensemble to allow matching to your clean sound.

Sounds like a LPB style circuit feeding into a Rangemaster style circuit. The third stage is a bit more of a mystery. Perhaps we could look at ways to emulate a "tube amp that has been over biased or has suffered serious tube or output transformer failure " ?
PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Desdog » 28 Dec 2008, 15:07

Desdog
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby Controll » 26 Oct 2009, 09:21

first: sorry for my english.

question:
is'nt there anybody who wants to discover how the cornish ng-2 pedal is build?
no one here who has one?
no one who want's to discover the circuit?

i would love you for making an end of this blabla ...
Controll

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby pillof » 26 Oct 2009, 10:06

LPB->Rangemaster->Sagged Fuzz Face?

PurplePeopleEater wrote:
Sounds like a LPB style circuit feeding into a Rangemaster style circuit. The third stage is a bit more of a mystery. Perhaps we could look at ways to emulate a "tube amp that has been over biased or has suffered serious tube or output transformer failure " ?
pillof

Postby borislavgajic » 26 Oct 2009, 10:25

Controll wrote:first: sorry for my english.

question:
no one here who has one?

:applause:
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 248 times

Postby Controll » 26 Oct 2009, 11:50

borislavgajic wrote:
Controll wrote:first: sorry for my english.

question:
no one here who has one?

:applause:

?
Controll

Postby ShortScaleMike » 26 Oct 2009, 12:25

Not an auspicious start....
ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby Controll » 26 Oct 2009, 14:00

sorry. but i'am searching for these circuits for a while ...
Controll

Postby abfackeln » 26 Oct 2009, 14:09

one way would be to buy the pedal, reverse it, and post the results here.

another way would be to join the tracer's fund and suggest this pedal as the next buy (although doubtful it would happen since a Cornish is currently in RE).
abfackeln
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby Ben N » 26 Oct 2009, 17:32

mrhenry wrote:quick question: what the hell is the "Stabilizer Unit" for? its bigger than my refrigerator! I guess big IS the new small. :D Seriously though, why would one need such a thing?

thanks,
mrhenry

Looks like a prop from an old sci-fi movie. But I suppose stageworthy UPC+power conditioner is a reasonable theory.
Ben N
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby RnFR » 26 Oct 2009, 18:46

this is the pedal i would've voted to degoop. not something already known to be a modded big muff. but, oh well... :roll:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 174 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 26 Oct 2009, 20:18

abfackeln wrote:one way would be to buy the pedal, reverse it, and post the results here.

another way would be to join the tracer's fund and suggest this pedal as the next buy

Both above options are essentially the same thing. Buy the pedal, reverse it and post it.

If it's for the purpose of the knowledge only, and therefore not essentially for the ownership of the actual device, there's no law against raising funds and doing a group buy.

As for, in a late stage, using that info for personal gain... hmm :hmmm:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1009 times

Postby gilmour_pugliese » 20 Jun 2011, 16:26

from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... h1G5g%253D

some nice photos of an early NG-2... on a Polish website I've read that this is a pedal stolen from Lou Reed a couple of years ago :slap:
gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 34 times

PreviousNext

Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...