Way Huge - Aqua-Puss  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

ah ok. thanks for the clarification.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Little ones

Post by joegore »

Sorry Bajaman (and everyone else).

I got SLAUGHTERED by deadlines this week. I'll post the requested info in the next day or two — promise!

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

joegore, The files came up empty when I checked. Could you post them again? Like fuzzes,
there is no such thing as too many delays.
(In my case it started with the Echoplex.)

BTW, is the OP the fabulous guitar player from Orange Symphony and possibly Tipsy{a personal favorite} as well?
Your writing for many years at Guitar Player is to be commended also. 8)

I just saw yer note^
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

No need for the apologies Joe :)
we can all wait for a few more days - we have waited for years to finally get this one cracked.
Once i get a view of the missing tracks, i will generate a full working schematic.
One problem - MN3005 delay chips are allmost impossible to procure these days - the MN3205 is still available but does not have as good low distortion specs as the MN3005 - it also requires a different clock driver IC and pin configuration layout, but it should be easy to generate a board layout to accomodate this chip and it's driver with only minor modifications.
Not wishing to gloat, but i still have a MN3005 in my spare parts drawer - you can guess what it is going to be used for - not a DM-2 clone!!!???
thanks so much for the pictures so far Joe. :thumbsup
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

bajaman wrote:No need for the apologies Joe :)
we can all wait for a few more days - we have waited for years to finally get this one cracked.
Once i get a view of the missing tracks, i will generate a full working schematic.
One problem - MN3005 delay chips are allmost impossible to procure these days - the MN3205 is still available but does not have as good low distortion specs as the MN3005 - it also requires a different clock driver IC and pin configuration layout, but it should be easy to generate a board layout to accomodate this chip and it's driver with only minor modifications.
Not wishing to gloat, but i still have a MN3005 in my spare parts drawer - you can guess what it is going to be used for - not a DM-2 clone!!!???
thanks so much for the pictures so far Joe. :thumbsup
bajaman
what about the cool audio chips, i thought they had a mn3005 repro IC?

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

puppiesonacid wrote: what about the cool audio chips, i thought they had a mn3005 repro IC?
AFAIK, the Cool Audio V3205SD/MN3205 is their "replacement" for the MN3005, albeit with the changes that baja mentioned......

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

The are some on Ebay right now. I bought two from a seller I've dealt with before issue free.

Current Ebay MN3005 Auctions.
The television will not be revolutionized.

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

Okay, I've posted the under-the-pots pics Bajaman requested. They're at http://idisk.mac.com/joegore-Public?view=web in Way Huge Aqua-Puss/Under the Pots folder.

I can also confirm the pot values: The Delay pot is B1M, and the Feedback and Mix pots are both B50K.

This is serial #150, and its dated later than the one in the pic Fuzzer posted yesterday.

P.S.: Yeah Noel, I'm the guy from Oranj Symphonette and Tipsy. Though in the latter case, just I just went in for a session and improvised a hundred or so guitar ideas to disk. Ten or 12 years later I still seem to be appearing on everything Tipsy releases. :)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Thanks so much Joe :wink:
I should be able to finish the double sided board layout now.
Is it possible to get a further picture under the sticky insulator at the smaller board end by the power supply filter capacitors - not essential, but would be helpful all the same.
One final request - would you please supply the capacitor codes for the ceramic capacitors ( eg: 101, 102, 473, etc.)
and the electrolytic can type capacitors ( eg: 47uf/16v, 10uf/25v etc.)
A list with a cross reference to their component number on the circuit board would be useful too.
Many thanks in advance
bajaman

sfx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sfx »

Can anyone recommend a particular seller on eBay for the MN3005 chips? I ask because I know Steve from Small Bear tried some once and ended up with fake/relabelled ICs.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

bajaman wrote:I should be able to finish the double sided board layout now.
You rock Bajaman! :thumbsup

Since this is a double sided board, if we could get enough people together would anyone be interested in an Express PCB type board buy in?
The television will not be revolutionized.

squrl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by squrl »

maybe we could get a version going with the V3205 chips as well? hmmmmmmm :wink:

BMF Effects
Information

Post by BMF Effects »

I've placed some calls and I'm waiting on some callbacks. I can *most likely* get 10 Panasonic MN3005's at $35 each. I know it's not a great price but the distributor has a minimum order price and it should reduce the risk of counterfeit IC's. I am told they are all tested and meet OEM specs. I'm waiting on a quote for a larger amount. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone might be interested.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

squrl wrote:maybe we could get a version going with the V3205 chips as well? hmmmmmmm :wink:
I'd be willing to try comparing MN3005, V3205, and el-cheapo PT2399 versions! It would be pretty slick if we could devise a digital workalike that got close to the same sound without the crazy old chips. I've had really good luck with PT2399 with old-style filters and whatnot used with them. I wired up one of those old MXR delay boards that uses the super rare Reticon chip with one of the PT2399 retrofit boards and it got really decent results... not quite totally analog, but it got the flavor at least.

Oh, and when purchasing MN3005 from ebay, I recommend Panasonic ones that look old... not nice shiny new ones... that say Mitsubishi. :wink:

:secret: (Panasonic logo is "M" in brackets, like this: [M]...)
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

BMF Effects wrote:I've placed some calls and I'm waiting on some callbacks. I can *most likely* get 10 Panasonic MN3005's at $35 each. I know it's not a great price but the distributor has a minimum order price and it should reduce the risk of counterfeit IC's. I am told they are all tested and meet OEM specs. I'm waiting on a quote for a larger amount. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone might be interested.
Yep.

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

Okay guys -- here are the cap values. Go to http://idisk.mac.com/joegore-Public?view=web abd download the (big) pic "Aqua-Puss caps," which matches the components and the numbers. All values were easy to discern, though don't rule out me making some dumb copy/paste error. I couldn't read all the component numbers without desoldering (these are indicated by question marks), but I believe my descriptions below will help fill in the blanks.

TOTALLY sign me up for a PCB buy-in!

C2 = 10uF
C3 = 471
C4 = 101
C5 = 10uF
C6 = 224
C7 = 10 uF
C8 = 101
C9 = 224
C10 = 10 uF
C11 = 682
C12 = 104
C13 = 331
C14 = 10uF
C15 = 1uF
C16 = 104
C17 = 1uF
C18 = 101
C17 = 1uF
C18 = 101
C19 = 222
C20 = 333
C21 = 102
C22 = 393
C23 = 331
C24 = 10uF
C25 = 224
C26 = 101
C27 = 10uF
C28 = 104
C29 = 10uF
C30 = 682
C31= 101
C32 = 10uF

C36: 100uF
C37 = 104

Large caps in lower left, to the left of the battery:

330uF
100uF

Yellow box cap in upper-right near DC jack: 473
Gray box cap near input jack: 6n8
Last edited by joegore on 30 Jan 2009, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

count me in for whatever buyins you guys are doing. i've needed a delay for a while, might as well do this one!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Thanks again Joe - excellent :wink:
I should have it all finished by next weekend - workload permitting - start ordering those MN3005 chips folks :lol:
bajaman

joegore
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by joegore »

please note -- I fixed a few things, so anyone who snagged the post within seconds of it going up (that's you, Bajaman!), please grab the new one.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hi Joe
one last request - a view of the tracks under the insulating stickie on the small section of the board, so I can complete the PCB
thanks
bajaman