Way Huge - Pork Loin  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

FeVeR2112 wrote:Johnk: Very nice shiny box.... how do you do your graphics? Looks engraved or etched...
they're acid etched.

FeVeR2112
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by FeVeR2112 »

etched like this video?

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bucksears »

Toying between the Pork Loin and the Fat Sandwich as my next build.
They're both (about) as complex.

Don't really NEED another high-gainer, but I've heard the FS is pretty amazing/versatile.
However, I don't have that many low/medium gainers - working on a Barber Gain Changer, and have a Maxon OD-808 in the works somewhere. I've heard great things about the Pork Loin, and I like knobs. 8)

So, talk me into the PL!!

destro
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Peavey Classic Series

Post by destro »

Right there with ya man. Been on the fence between the two, as I like those hex inverter distortions for my peavey classic. Just saw perf and PCB released a layout for the fat drive but pedalpcb came out for a very nice looking board for the pork loin and have gone that route. I got 20 of the transistors for $18 shipped via ebay. I read on MB that someone said the 2n2222 transistors were pretty close, but the originals were better at lower gain, which I think you would be using it for. Good luck either way!

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bucksears »

destro wrote:Right there with ya man. Been on the fence between the two, as I like those hex inverter distortions for my peavey classic. Just saw perf and PCB released a layout for the fat drive but pedalpcb came out for a very nice looking board for the pork loin and have gone that route. I got 20 of the transistors for $18 shipped via ebay. I read on MB that someone said the 2n2222 transistors were pretty close, but the originals were better at lower gain, which I think you would be using it for. Good luck either way!
Yep - I was going Perf & PCB's layouts for both, but might go vero for the PL. I printed out the FS board from Perf & PCB today.
Time to hunt down transistors now.......

abakuzam
Information

Post by abakuzam »

Hello sir , can you provide the voltages? I would appreciate it a lot

johnk wrote:BTW, i also managed to fit it in a 1590B so made another one with a relayed true bypass:

[ Image ]

[ Image ]

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to effects building (but not to soldering, that's a good start !), and would like to start with something big to learn a lot, even if it takes times and patience to do it right.

I read every bit of info out there about the Pork Loin, started a component list, etc... But I'm still feeling like I'm missing something, and would really appreciate some help to start this project and my DIY electronics journey !

Here's the list I made (the number on the right is the quantity) :

RESISTORS
1K5 2
100R 2
19K 1
470R 2
390R 2
2K2 2
33K 6
69K 2
10K 4
5K1 2
10R 2
47K 2
3K3 2
150R 1
4K7 1
100K 6
1M 1
150K 1

CAPACITORS
1n 3
100p 4
47n 3
1u 6
10n 2
100u 1
220p 1
56n 1
330p 2
22u 3
2n2 2
100n 3
10u 1
470n 1
47u 2

POTENTIOMETERS
A500K 1
B10K 2
B50K 1
B100K 3
A10K 1

OP-AMP
LF353 2
LM833N 2

TRANSISTORS
2N2484 6
2N7000 1

DIODE
1N914 2

BOX
1590B 1

Any suggestions regarding the component type (ceramic, film...) and jack sockets or switch would be really, really appreciated !

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Dullman wrote:I'm totally new to effects building (but not to soldering, that's a good start !), and would like to start with something big to learn a lot, even if it takes times and patience to do it right.
I read every bit of info out there about the Pork Loin, started a component list, etc... But I'm still feeling like I'm missing something, and would really appreciate some help to start this project and my DIY electronics journey !
Here's the list I made (the number on the right is the quantity) :
You need a board too. Even if you don't buy it here, you could steal the parts list from the build docs... there is a veroboard layout here, but mind you - this is not a beginner's project. It would be better to start with a simple overdrive based on a dual opamp. This is going to require some debugging.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply !

Yup, saw this one, but I was considering starting on veroboard. I definitely saved the build docs, though !

Yeah, it sure looks like a big build but I'll carry on. I'll get to a simple OD if I'm stuck with this one !

Any suggestion regarding the footswitch, jack sockets... ? I'll be trying to understand how to wire a vero.

Thanks again !

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Okay, I think I understood pretty much everything about the vero. I'm just wondering where the 'Output" is on the layout ? And where is the LED ?

Also, the "Tone 1 & 2" on the same wire, which means I just need to solder that wire to the "1" pin on its pot, or do I must use two wires going from the same place on the vero ?

Any suggestions regarding the component type (ceramic, tantalum, metal film...) ?

Thanks again !

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Alright, with the lockdown here in France I had time to learn a shit lot about everything.

So, I'm glad to announce that I'll build an alternative version of the Pork Loin, with the Filter and Presence pots on top of the pedal, a whole new pot organization (more ergonomic and clear), OP-Amp replacement and transistors replacement. Plus, a badass visual. I'll keep you guys updated !

Thanks again for your help.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Dullman wrote:Okay, I think I understood pretty much everything about the vero. I'm just wondering where the 'Output" is on the layout ? And where is the LED ?
Before building anything you should be looking at the schematic. The output is not on the veroboard because it isn't on the veroboard. The output is connected to the central lug or wiper of the volume pot.
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 18.11.26.png
Dullman wrote:Also, the "Tone 1 & 2" on the same wire, which means I just need to solder that wire to the "1" pin on its pot, or do I must use two wires going from the same place on the vero ?
In short: yes, run one wire to either of the lugs but connect them.
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 18.12.49.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 18.12.49.png (64.08 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
Dullman wrote:Alright, with the lockdown here in France I had time to learn a shit lot about everything.

So, I'm glad to announce that I'll build an alternative version of the Pork Loin, with the Filter and Presence pots on top of the pedal, a whole new pot organization (more ergonomic and clear), OP-Amp replacement and transistors replacement. Plus, a badass visual. I'll keep you guys updated !
Way Huge - Pork Loin schematic pedalpcb.com
Way Huge - Pork Loin schematic pedalpcb.com
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Hey !

Yup, I figured all that by myself just thinking about it, looking at johnk's pics and reading a lot about electronics... !

I'll keep you updated (well, when the lockdown is over and I can start building it), thanks a lot for your help !

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Hey !

Had a lot of work but finally got back to the electronics stuff... Just want someone to check the wiring of the whole thing, does it make sense (I used tagboard's wiring guide) ? I'm kinda worried about the empty lug on the Volume pot...

https://ibb.co/nBkrddd

Thanks in advance !

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The volume pot has lug 1 grounded in the schematic.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Oops, totally forgot about it ! Thanks a lot.

So lug 1 goes to the Output jack ground (sleeve) ? Sorry for the dumb question I'm not trusting myself anymore hahah

Was that the only mistake ?

Thanks again !

Dullman
Information

Post by Dullman »

Hey, here's the updated version : https://ibb.co/317GVMP