Mel Bay Guitar Setup, Maintenance & Repair - Book

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

As all of us use guitars and basses this is indespencible guide for everyone!
" This guide will use photographs, diagrams and sketches made by the author and some provided by various manufacturers to teach how to clean, condition, adjust the action and properly intonate your acoustic guitar, as well as: John's trade secrets on hand-carving bone nuts and bridge saddles, wiring and fretwork. John has also included a chapter on identifying and diagnosing problem guitars. It even includes a forward written by Bob Taylor of Taylor Guitars. This book is perfect to teach a beginner or a reference for the guitar repair professional. "

Hope I don't need to remind you to hurry, you see how some links disappear within few days!

Enjoy!
:thumbsup
:D

http://www.freebookspot.me/Comments.asp ... t_ID=59734

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

Thank you, link works, but it's in Russian, I think. :block:
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

telecaster wrote:Thank you, link works, but it's in Russian, I think. :block:
Pure English, bro!
:thumbsup
:)

dajm
Information

Post by dajm »

the first download link is in Russian but the other 2 are in English, whatever one you use, the pdf of the book is in English.

many thanks to SPeter for sharing !

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

I'm curious how one would "properly intonate" an acoustic guitar. Is that possible? The only thing I can think of is using a compensated bridge saddle.

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything that works
Completed builds: meatolation, wobolation, ringolation clones, PAiA synths/modulars, dipthonizer clone, MOTM modules, pedal mods and repairs

Post by toneman »

Well, first, thanks for the download. :thumbsup Still seems to be working. :D
Looking thru it briefly, looks like a good basic book :!:
I got an acoustic with an out-of-whak truss rod......maybe this wil help :hmmm:
Thanks again :!:

In response to CHEEZOR:
As I understand it, to "intonate" a guitar usually involves adjusting individual bridge string saddles.
Usually, acoustic guitars have a fixed bridge.
One of Eric Johnson's guitar techniques videos mentions tuning a guitar "from the middle, out", instead of the "top down".
He says that this makes the acoustic, and even an electric, more accurate over more area.
On most of my acoustics, I usually start tuning at the D string, then tune others from that.
Tone-to-the-Bone

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: meatolation, wobolation, ringolation clones, PAiA synths/modulars, dipthonizer clone, MOTM modules, pedal mods and repairs

Post by toneman »

Well, first, thanks for the download. :thumbsup Still seems to be working. :D
Looking thru it briefly, looks like a good basic book :!:
I got an acoustic with an out-of-whak truss rod......maybe this wil help :hmmm:
Thanks again :!:

In response to CHEEZOR:
As I understand it, to "intonate" a guitar usually involves adjusting individual bridge string saddles.
One of Eric Johnson's guitar techniques videos mentions tuning a guitar "from the middle, out", instead of the "top down". He says that this makes the acoustic, and even an electric, more accurate over more area.
On most of my acoustics, I usually start tuning at the D string, then tune others from that.

afn
T 8)
Tone-to-the-Bone

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

toneman wrote:In response to CHEEZOR:
You are correct, Sir! That is why I was wondering how you can intonate an acoustic, since this book claims that it can show you how. Unless I'm not thinking correctly / forgetting something, I do not believe it is possible. :scratch:

I do guitar repair and setup for a living so I'm really curious if I am missing something, but apparently, not curious enough to download the book. lol :slap: Thanks for sharing though! :)

Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T
Ampeg V4b
Peavey Bass 400

Post by Crumbchildz »

I believe that to intonate an acoustic, you file in bevels on the saddle, which is effectively increasing the length of the vibrating portion of the string. It's definitely a one way process though, and once you've moved that break point back too far, you start over. Stewmac has some overpriced jig that you could make yourself that supposedly takes all the hard work out of it.
Loud's a tone, right?

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Crumbchildz wrote:I believe that to intonate an acoustic, you file in bevels on the saddle, which is effectively increasing the length of the vibrating portion of the string. It's definitely a one way process though, and once you've moved that break point back too far, you start over. Stewmac has some overpriced jig that you could make yourself that supposedly takes all the hard work out of it.
Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier too, but that is way too much hassle for what you get. I doubt I would hear a difference at all, but I'll admit that I don't have have the greatest ear for tuning. I like it that way. :)

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by toneman »

Yes, there's a chapter on filing the saddles on an acoustic :!:
I did not know that U could do dat :slap:

But......if U mess up...... :oops:

U can take the wood off, but U can't put it back on :lol:

T
Tone-to-the-Bone

Crumbchildz
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T
Ampeg V4b
Peavey Bass 400

Post by Crumbchildz »

CHEEZOR wrote: Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier too, but that is way too much hassle for what you get. I doubt I would hear a difference at all, but I'll admit that I don't have have the greatest ear for tuning. I like it that way. :)
Couldn't agree more. Filing off a half a millimeter isn't really gonna fix an intonation issue. And tuning is for suckers anyway. "Good enough for Rock 'n' Roll" has always worked fine for me :D
Loud's a tone, right?