Rangemaster-super clean version

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
jakerandall
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jakerandall »

Is it possible to take the rangemaster and make it a really clean clean full rangeboost? Also maybe with an easy to get inexpensive silicon tranny?
I would want it to sound as good or better than the miniboost.

I ask this because every rangemaster I have played with has had some grit and seemed to work with only certain kinds of amps. It would be nice to tweak the rangemaster to work with all kind of amps and be cleaner and loud like a mosfet boost.

Lovepedal Detective
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Lovepedal Detective »

I'm not sure I understand the question? If you want to make a Rangemaster that sounds and works like a mosfet boost, why don't you just build a mosfet circuit? The things you are trying to get rid of in the RM are what make it what it is.

LPD

chris_d
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by chris_d »

+1 to the above. If you want a clean boost, build a cleanboost.

Otherwise, for a different flavor rangemaster, maybe check out the AMZ Muffmaster. Essentially it is a silicon Rangemaster, but i find it to work very nicely as a clean(ish) boost.

It is cleaner, and the one i built is fuller and less "squashed/midsy" than a stockish germ Rangemaster tends to be. Still, it will break up at max settings. But at unity or just above, it is a sweet dimensional clean boost, in my experience.

I actually like this circuit a lot, the second DIY i ever tried.

-chris

jakerandall
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jakerandall »

ok good so the muff master is a rangemaster. Thats all I wanted. This is just for fun.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

I'm pretty fond of single stage jfet boosters too. clean when they need to be, and at higher gains just a little "nicely flavored" breakup.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

You could do a Linear Power Booster with the same input cap value as a Rangemaster. The Muff Master is sort of like that... though I would go with with a straight LPB style circuit. That cap value is what gives the Rangemaster alot of it's signature weird mid-peaky-ness, and it would require more tweaking to get the same response from a FET circuit because the input impedances are very different - with a LPB, it's not too far off from a Rangemaster's input Z, so just putting in the smaller cap, can put it alot closer to that tone. The cap on the Muff Master looks too big to me.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

Jake, I encourage you to try the Omega (http://www.runoffgroove.com)

It was designed to cover both LPB and Rangemaster territory by means of the Range knob.

It is possible to reduce its gain at the fatter settings as well by placing a series pot with the source bypass electro.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I like to put the Source bypass cap on a switch for high and low gain modes.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

sosodef
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by sosodef »

Thats funny. I was just thinking about my SI rangemaster, I was thinking of how to mod it to be more dirty. Anyone have any ideas on dirtying up a si rangemaster.

frank.clarke
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by frank.clarke »

To answer the question, run it on 12V, and bias the collector to 6V. Or 9V/4.5V.
I was putting a rangemaster at the front of my mutant Maestro/3-knob Tonebender, so I wanted it clean and biased it at 9V/4.5V.