Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I'm curious to know if the high gain mod is just a 250k pot instead of 100k.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

mmolteratx wrote:I just got mine after an 18 month wait. Both sides have the high gain option. If anyone's interested, I'll try to get some guts.
"I'm interested" is my second name :mrgreen:

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

Mike builds great stuff, and the KOT is just one of many pedals that they sell so I'm sure they keep real busy. But it's absurd that he can't deal with the demand for these after all this time -- it's obvious he prefers it this way. Hire some more people or something, it's not that difficult. The only thing I can think is that he enjoys having the continuing buzz about this product, it's free advertising. Kind of like those stupid nightclubs that make people line up outside, even when the club isn't full, just to make the place seem like a scene. I think the KOT is a great pedal, but I'm not paying $350 for one or waiting for a year and a half just to get the latest tweak.

coi2001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by coi2001 »

This is mine, built on vero. I like it best as a booster, the clipping diodes are OK but not great
Attachments
DSCN0407.jpg
DSCN0407.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
DSCN0404.jpg
DSCN0404.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
DSCN0403.jpg
DSCN0403.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 3479 times

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

mmolteratx wrote:I just got mine after an 18 month wait. Both sides have the high gain option. If anyone's interested, I'll try to get some guts.
mmolteratx, if you're still monitoring this thread, I am VERY interested in seeing the gut shots. I would like to know more about the 'high gain' mod. 'Tricky desoldering' sounds more like component(s) replacement and not just a pot swap. But, who knows? It's been a while since this thread started, has anyone learned what is actually involved in the 'high gain' mod?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

gtr2
Information

Post by gtr2 »

Use a 250 kB for the gain pot instead of the stock 100 kB.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

gtr2 wrote:Use a 250 kB for the gain pot instead of the stock 100 kB.
I've heard this one! That's what I was referring to with the pot swap statement.
I'm not doubting this method's usefulness, just that I haven't seen a trace of an actual high gain model. (Seeing is believing)
Nor have I read where someone stated they have one and revealed the 'secret'. (Reliable witness method)
My question still remains: Is this the actual high gain mod, or is there more to it on the actual pedal?
Does anyone know for sure?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

mich
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mich »

Coi ..... can you post the vero you used?

coi2001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by coi2001 »

mich wrote:Coi ..... can you post the vero you used?
Here you go
Attachments
King Of Clone vero layout - Torchy.gif

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

PokeyPete wrote:
mmolteratx, if you're still monitoring this thread, I am VERY interested in seeing the gut shots. I would like to know more about the 'high gain' mod. 'Tricky desoldering' sounds more like component(s) replacement and not just a pot swap. But, who knows? It's been a while since this thread started, has anyone learned what is actually involved in the 'high gain' mod?
Sorry. My house was on the market at that time and my camera was stolen during one showing. I didn't snap any pics before I sold it. Based on Analog Mike's description of the differences, my guess would be it's just a larger value pot.

Diamond
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blackface Fender Bassman
Completed builds: Ampeg Scrambler, Fuzz Face x4, Fuzzrite, Tonebender MKII, Green Russian Big Muff, Green Ringer, Colorsound Overdriver, Nurse Quacky, Ross Phaser, Rebote 2.5, Blue Box.

Post by Diamond »

coi2001 wrote:
mich wrote:Coi ..... can you post the vero you used?
Here you go
One note when using that vero layout. It says on the bottom of the picture that the treble boost trimmer was ommited because the vero layout was tight. Sadly, they also ommited the 10nF cap that should be in series with the trimmer. If you build this vero layout without this 10nF cap you will get a really REALLY bright tone! In my build, I put the cap between the outer lugs of the volume pot and now it sounds good. Not "300+ dollars and 18 months wait time" good, but certainly not overly bright and bad.

Check the schematic here for reference. I'm talking about C7. Just compare it to the vero layout and you will find that it is missing.

coi2001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by coi2001 »

Diamond
thank you, I did not notice,

I'll try adding the cap
Costantino

Diamond
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blackface Fender Bassman
Completed builds: Ampeg Scrambler, Fuzz Face x4, Fuzzrite, Tonebender MKII, Green Russian Big Muff, Green Ringer, Colorsound Overdriver, Nurse Quacky, Ross Phaser, Rebote 2.5, Blue Box.

Post by Diamond »

Yes, do that, it makes a big difference in the usefulness of the circuit. Check the schematic of the original BluesBreaker (here) on which the KoT was based. You will see that the original also has that cap (C9 in this schematic), so ommiting it was obviously a mistake from the maker of the vero layout. Good luck!

aquataur
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aquataur »

FIY: I have done a thorough analysis of the circuit and fixed a few subjective shortcomings. The result is more than a King - a Queen.
Read the whole blog and take delight in the sound samples on my web pages.

I have also taken an intense look at diode clipping circuits on the way.
Don´t hesitate to contact me if you enjoy the writings :wink:

Have fun,

-helmut

Olegator
Information

Post by Olegator »

Hello!
I have such a strange and dumb question, but how to do KoT V2? I mean, how to wire the switch and 2 volume pots?
Here is the schematic that I found through Google:
http://www.matsumin.net/diy/jisaku1/Kin ... ic_ori.BMP
C6 seems to be in the wrong place but that doesn't matter. Lets look at the output part of the circut. I belive that in that case (the way the pots are wired on that schematic) pots will effect each other.
What is the right wiring (what is used in the original V2?)?
I guess the switch must be placed between wipers of pots and 1 mF cap. This way also there would be only one 1 mF cap (well, 1 electrolitic + 1 film in parallel). Am I right?
But again, how is it made in the original V2 circuit?

Don't ask why I want to build V2 instead of V4, just want to :)

Turnerguitar
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Super Reverb/Twin
Completed builds: Super Duper 2-1, Box of Rock, King of Tone

Post by Turnerguitar »

Has anybody played this with a Twin Reverb? I made two of them (one for my cousin, one for me) and I cannot turn the bright switch on my Twin on or it gets fizzy--not fuzzy ha, it gets FIZZY! like a really high frequency clipping sound. I have the trimpot cranked and it still sounds fizzy, the guitar just sounds a little muffled, but that fizziness is still comin through. I used the madbean layout. my cousin's did the same thing. On my peavey steel guitar amp, it sounds killer. Just wondering if anyone has had the same experience

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

I don't remember mine being fizzy at all, but it's been a while since I built it. I'll build another and report back, been meaning to anyhow.

Turnerguitar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Turnerguitar »

Barcode wrote:I don't remember mine being fizzy at all, but it's been a while since I built it. I'll build another and report back, been meaning to anyhow.
Well, I got it sounding pretty good, but I think it's just because that amp is so bright anyway with the bright switch on. The only way I don't hear that fizzy sound is to adjust the presence trimpot almost all the way off (sooo close to all the way) and the tone around 10 or 11 oclock. BUT what I figured out was the secret for me was that trimpot was soooo touchy. I guess I was expecting it not to change so much. Anyway, my conclusion is it sounds great and the fizzy sound is basically gone but I am still wondering if anyone else had this problem with a twin. And I still have this lingering feeling that something is just not quite perfect.

madmac
Information

Post by madmac »

Turnerguitar wrote:
Barcode wrote:I don't remember mine being fizzy at all, but it's been a while since I built it. I'll build another and report back, been meaning to anyhow.
Well, I got it sounding pretty good, but I think it's just because that amp is so bright anyway with the bright switch on. The only way I don't hear that fizzy sound is to adjust the presence trimpot almost all the way off (sooo close to all the way) and the tone around 10 or 11 oclock. BUT what I figured out was the secret for me was that trimpot was soooo touchy. I guess I was expecting it not to change so much. Anyway, my conclusion is it sounds great and the fizzy sound is basically gone but I am still wondering if anyone else had this problem with a twin. And I still have this lingering feeling that something is just not quite perfect.
I have had the trimpot all the way off with the builds that I have made. I play a strat so its bright enough as it is. I think it is worth getting the MA856 diodes if you don't already - makes a subtle but nice difference. Im not all that fussed with the 1s1588's but I tend not to play it in this mode anyway. The plain old IN4001's make a good sub for the 1s1588's.

Turnerguitar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Turnerguitar »

madmac wrote:
Turnerguitar wrote:
I have had the trimpot all the way off with the builds that I have made. I play a strat so its bright enough as it is. I think it is worth getting the MA856 diodes if you don't already - makes a subtle but nice difference. Im not all that fussed with the 1s1588's but I tend not to play it in this mode anyway. The plain old IN4001's make a good sub for the 1s1588's.
Yeah, I've used the MA856 in both I've made as well as the 1s1588. Does the KOT have the trimpots or is that a madbean addition for better control? Do you recon the KOT's trimpots are fully closed? I think my problem was that Twin. When my trimpot was set at half way, it sounded amazing in my solid state peavey (a dang good amp in its own right) but after I closed the trimpot, I played a gig with it and from what me and my dad who was in the audience could tell, it sounded great. It just surprised me that the trimpot would have to be so aggressively adjusted :?