Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

TheLemon wrote:I always appreciate when people take words and already gathered ideas and try to put them into a schematic.
Me too - all too often I see (or rather, read) pics of pedal guts followed by an insistence by some that the pedal get traced asap. When it doesn't, we get the bump-bump-bump action going on, one or two people (tops) actually trace it, then the veros come, and the masses consume, build, debug, and move on to the next "unknown."

If we take some time to analyze what we are about to trace, then analyze it before the mad rush to build one and box it up, we will obviously get some insight before tackling the next "mystery."

Since it is exceedingly rare to get a distortion design that isn't a quiltwork of existing circuit ideas, understanding the "building blocks" is a great ability to have. You can also typically "extend" it to having a visual idea when you "see it" BEFORE you do any hard core tracing.

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

i agree to a point with what your saying moonwatcher but on the same token what musician doesn't enjoy there pedals i mean theres two aspects to what your saying i mean i would like to have a go at tracing some of these pedals but without guts shots what hope is there i do agree that some others should try and help with the work on that aspect but i think some are either lazy or don't have the ability thats not having a go but we all look as these forums with the hope of essentially building ourselves a really cool pedal we can enjoy or otherwise learn about electronics i know thats why i do it. I believe also that a lot of these pedals are ridicuously priced for what they are in reality and if they put realisitic prices on some of these units i don't think so many musicians would be so keen to clone these units. on the other hand there are corporates scoping these pages constantly for the own financial gain there the ones i don't like. cheers just a friendly opinion

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

DimebuGG wrote:first try...
On the first gutshots there are two transistors visible...

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

indyguitarist wrote:
mrkaploca wrote:
DimebuGG wrote:first try...
On the first gutshots there are two transistors visible...
1 is a boost stage, the other drives AN led ON/OFF rather.

no edit function, so double post for typing error.

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

Anyone willing to take guts shots of their wampler triple wreck so we can have a look and trace it otherwise no schematic for this pedal :hmmm: Please anyone more than happy to help tracing it

Eisy
Information

Post by Eisy »

Here's what i traced.
NOTE: The power section is not the same as in the original. Switching is not shown, it's done with millenium bypass (as indyguitarist already said).

Have fun! :D
Attachments
TRIPLE_WRECK.pdf
(27.18 KiB) Downloaded 3394 times

Eisy
Information

Post by Eisy »

EDIT: the boost is placed before the distortion section.

Schematic is already verified!

Eisy
Information

Post by Eisy »

EDIT 2: in boost mode C5 is 220NF || 1UF = 1.22UF...

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Thanks Eisy! You mention it is verified, how does it sound to the original? Any sound samples?

Eisy
Information

Post by Eisy »

I've traced it on my own from an original Triple Wreck and compared them... sounds like the same in my ears, and pretty nice too.

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

When you say the boost is before the distortion section is that before the first satge of the Gov'ner portion? And right after the buffer?

Thanks
Rob

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

i'm trying to wrap my head around the mids control and the following gain stage. brain. hurts.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Eisy
Information

Post by Eisy »

caspercody wrote:When you say the boost is before the distortion section is that before the first satge of the Gov'ner portion? And right after the buffer?

Thanks
Rob
The booster is placed before the input buffer!

kantul
Information

Post by kantul »

I'm trying to create a layout based on the above scheme. Has not been verified. Tell me if you see an error there. thank you :)

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Nice work kantul!

I do not know much about the DIY layout software, but is there a way to make that into a vero layout? I am more use to Eagle and doing PCB's. But want to try vero layouts instead.

Thanks
Rob

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

Caspercody, I have a vero layout worked out, however it is unverified, but should be correct. I'll post it tonight when I get home from work.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

Here's the layout I promised. Eyed over it with the schematic and it seems to be in order. If you build it before I do, let me know how it goes.
wamplertriplewreck.gif

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

coldcraft wrote:i'm trying to wrap my head around the mids control and the following gain stage. brain. hurts.
it just looks like your basic mid scoop filter, but the pot is configured to vary the width of scoop instead of the depth. just imagine the low pass corner changing as the pot is turned from one side to the other, and the different caps get closer to ground. the high pass section stays the same. looks kind of cool, I don't remember seeing that anywhere before.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

kantul wrote:I'm trying to create a layout based on the above scheme. Has not been verified. Tell me if you see an error there. thank you :)
This layout looks nice. Have you verified it yet?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

RnFR wrote:
coldcraft wrote:i'm trying to wrap my head around the mids control and the following gain stage. brain. hurts.
it just looks like your basic mid scoop filter, but the pot is configured to vary the width of scoop instead of the depth. just imagine the low pass corner changing as the pot is turned from one side to the other, and the different caps get closer to ground. the high pass section stays the same. looks kind of cool, I don't remember seeing that anywhere before.

Check out the "Contour" control in the Boss XT-2. The Mids control in the Wampler is similar in topology and component values (short R25 in the Boss and change two other values). The following stages are very different however. The Wampler goes into an inverting op-amp and the Boss goes into an emitter follower. That would make the two controls behave very differently, I think.

Note that the preceding op-amp is driving ~0.091uF to ground when the control is all the way to the left. This is fine for a 4580 perhaps, but not all op-amps can handle it. Part substitutions for that particular IC will require some thought.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.