single 9v adaptor convert to a daisy cahin

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

hello

can i convert an ordinary single 9v power supply adaptor adding a another output like those in daisy chain power supply?

is this possible? how many ampere could possibly use in order to hold a five 9volt output for powering pedals?

thanks

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

Yes. That's what a daisychain is by definition. Remember to keep the same polarity!

If you are using digital pedals that consume a lot of mA, then you might have a problem. If it's just dirtboxes and that kind of simple circuits then power vise there will be no problem.

Check you PSU for the rated mA and check how much your pedals use. If you don't have enough mA then you have a problem. There is a huge difference in powerconsumption between different types of pedals.

I daisychain all the time and very rarely have a problem. But sometimes certain pedals doesn't behave well on the same powerchain. I have had problems with a Line6 tone core pedal and also two digital pedals who would not share the same psu without noise.

ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

thanks for the reply...

great explanation..

if i use a 9v adaptor with 1000mA ...possibly how many outputs could i make? or daisy chain output?

thanks again..

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

DEPENDS ON THE PEDALS; it could power probably one multi-effect box or 50+ tubescreamers.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

remember that the outputs must be in parallel!

1000 mA is a lot if you talking plain single type analog pedals. Unless you want to power more than 10 pedals I would not worry. (Unless they are all power monsters and killing polar bears by the dozen)

ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

thanks for the reply...