Op Amp Big Muff Build - lack of Sustain?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
kosmonautmayhem
Information

Post by kosmonautmayhem »

Hi all, This is my first official post in this excellent and incredibly useful forum.
Hoping some of you could lend your experience...

I just built an Op Amp Big Muff (with tone-bypass) using this layout.
https://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m11 ... YPASS2.gif

After a few minor mistakes, I got it working! Its housed in a circa 2000 NYC box. I used the LED hole for my tone bypass switch, so no LED like the originals. I also utilized the power jack so I can use my pedal power or battery.

Overall the pedal sounds nice and like I think it should, with one caveat: I have a lack of sustain. This is especially prevalent on the higher strings. I should easily be able to coax some nice sustain on single note runs, but it disappears pretty quickly. Its pretty underwhelming. I'm also wondering if there should be a touch more gain? I understand the nature of this beast (op amp BM is usually more behaved than the transistor style) and have played a few originals that were definitely more gain-y and sustained with ease.

Any ideas where to start looking. I've double / triple checked my layout and all looks fine. I'm also going to take another look at the solder-side of my board to double check for shorts. All parts are exactly spec to the layout listed above except C10, all i could find was 100nF (vs. 120nF).

Thanks and Cheers,
kM

Sonic
Information

Post by Sonic »

It sounds like some sort of amplification problem, can be alot of things that can be wrong. I would start with checking out the components and voltages around the 741, if this one doesn't work, sound will still travel through the diodes producing a small amount of clipping (fuzz/sustain), which you have in your case.

kosmonautmayhem
Information

Thanks for the reply!

You know....it may just be that I'm more used to hearing transistor Muff circuits. I've spend a lot of time playing the pedal since my first post and find its not so bad after all. Different guitars / pickups obviously react very different and also the amp and speaker makes a difference too. Another thing that seems like it makes a difference is that it sounds better when running on battery only - could be my head playing tricks though ;). I'll double check my DC jack wiring.

My initial lack of sustain wasn't necessarily gated or un-natural sounding. I'm just used to smoother, more sustaining FF circuits. The biggest difference of all, was cranking this pedal. Tons of sustain! You just have to work for it a little harder than with a fuzz face. Overall output / volume is great. Plenty of volume.

There's a 'sustain mod' I was reading about that I might look into, supposed to coax a bit more sustain and gain out of this circuit...may be a worth while mod.
Of course you can always run an OD/dist box into the muff for more-gain. :)

Cheers,
kM

Sonic
Information

Post by Sonic »

Cool :) And yes the opamp Big muff is a little more harsh and a little less sustaining than the transister BM. I also a little interested in the sustain mod, I'll look for it, and maybe my opamp muff can come on my pedal board again, right now I'm using a DIY violet rams head.

kosmonautmayhem
Information

Sonic wrote:Cool :) And yes the opamp Big muff is a little more harsh and a little less sustaining than the transister BM. I also a little interested in the sustain mod, I'll look for it, and maybe my opamp muff can come on my pedal board again, right now I'm using a DIY violet rams head.
I'm starting to figure that out! :D
Now I might be inspired to try some other big muff variants. Always wanted to try out a ram's head, civil war, etc.
Have a last run big box Russian thats pretty cool.

Cheers.

D-Day
Mojo Book Buster
Information
my favorite amplifier: Soldano SLO 100
Completed builds: Bazzfuss, Fuzz Face, Fuzzface SG

Post by D-Day »

Analogguru has a sustain mod on his schems: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9481

I liked it better stock though.

kosmonautmayhem
Information

What were the differences you noticed about the sustain mod?

Likes / dislike?

D-Day
Mojo Book Buster
Information
my favorite amplifier: Soldano SLO 100
Completed builds: Bazzfuss, Fuzz Face, Fuzzface SG

Post by D-Day »

Well I like heavy duty stoner rock and doom type sounds. So I'm not looking for my fuzz to sustain softly and beautifully like a violin or saxophone or something. When I plug in a dirt pedal I want that dirt, ya know? Well AG's sustain 'fix' washes away some of the ICBM's unique dirt nastiness and smooths it out/softens it up a bit. It did not seem to increase the sustain any though it would be hard to tell because my build had plenty of sustain in the first place. YMMV