Need Help Wiring Foxx tone machine with A. Leo fuzz/swell

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
SixStringTickler
Information

Post by SixStringTickler »

Hello!
I'm having trouble wiring together a Foxx Tone Machine with a Anthony Leo Fuzz/Swell circuit. Both circuits are assembled on vero board and are taken from the layouts pictured below, by Harald Sabro Bolstad and Jeremy Rouse. The wiring diagram that I found, is a bit confusing to me when I attempt to wire these circuits and switches together. I am a total noob at this, and this is my first attempt at DIY effect pedal tinkering but am confident that I can wire this up successfully with the help from this forums members! A few things that have me puzzled are:

On the wiring diagram, the volume pots number two lug has two connections - one to the board and one to the swell switch. What is the connection to the board? The vero layout says that volume 2 is output - is this where I connect the swell output or the Foxx tone machine output? Where is the Foxx Tone Machine output on the vero board layout? Would it be volume 3?

The wiring diagram shows the swell pots center lug connected to the swell switch, but the swell vero layout shows that this center switch is also connected to the swell circuit output (at least that is how I'm interpreting it) - but the wiring diagram has only one wire from the swells center lug to swell switch. What's really happening at the swell output and swell pot lugs?

Where do I connect the swell circuit input? Lug 1 of the swell switch? (No connection is shown)

Well I hope that this makes sense to you and that you can overlook my ignorance in this matter. I've been at this for 3 days now, and searched the web reading all the info I could find pertaining to these two effects and wiring tutorials, but haven't found anything that clears this up. I appreciate any help that you can give me!
Thank you - GIGANTICALLY!!!
Frank

rousejeremy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rousejeremy »

I'll try to help the best I can but you picked a bitch of a circuit for your first one bud.
Yikes! My vero is pretty messy. Sorry about that, I did it a long time ago when I was in the beginning stages.
The output of the FTM is lug 2 of it's volume pot. Connect it to the input of the swell section and the switch as shown.
The output of the Swell Circuit is lug 2 of it's volume pot as well.

SixStringTickler
Information

Post by SixStringTickler »

Thanks for the reply Jeremy! I actually managed to get it wired up and working - the thing that confused me, was ignorantly trying to apply the "Experience wiring diagram" to the two veroboard layouts I had. You are correct when you said that I picked a bitch of a circuit for my first one - I tend to be crazy like that. For some reason, I seem to grasp, retain and apply knowledge better when I am really pushing myself. To me, it's kinda like building a puzzle and I usually can't stop until it's finished - and now, I've got the bug bad! I've since gone on to successfully build a Formula 5 - Gator - Pink Flesh - Lunar Module Deluxe - Pig Mine - Axis Face - Tycobrahe Octavia - Easy Vibe - Zombie Chorus - and I'm currently working on a Roger Mayer Octavia. But I couldn't have done it without these forums and the many people such as yourself who freely share their knowledge - to all of you, I give a great big THANK YOU! :applause:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I've successfully built a Roger Mayer Octavia pedal, but my build is the one that doesn't use a transformer to do the octave-ing, when you max-out the fuzz control you don't get that really splatty tone with the transformer-less circuit like you do with the circuit with the transformer in it..... :thumbsup

It also seems to sound better if you put a fuzz pedal after it in your signal chain..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: my own, a redesigned princeton
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!
there's videos that totally suck of about 90 of 'em here:
http://youtube.com/666pinkster
gimme a like: http://facebook.com/pinkjimiphotonrocks

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

DrNomis wrote:I've successfully built a Roger Mayer Octavia pedal, but my build is the one that doesn't use a transformer to do the octave-ing, when you max-out the fuzz control you don't get that really splatty tone with the transformer-less circuit like you do with the circuit with the transformer in it..... :thumbsup

It also seems to sound better if you put a fuzz pedal after it in your signal chain..... :thumbsup
hey simon, any chance you could explain how you did this? is it still an octave up?
i don't like the blatt, would love to hear more bro...thanks!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

pinkjimiphoton wrote:
DrNomis wrote:I've successfully built a Roger Mayer Octavia pedal, but my build is the one that doesn't use a transformer to do the octave-ing, when you max-out the fuzz control you don't get that really splatty tone with the transformer-less circuit like you do with the circuit with the transformer in it..... :thumbsup

hey simon, any chance you could explain how you did this? is it still an octave up?
i don't like the blatt, would love to hear more bro...thanks!

It's pretty simple really, have a look at the schematic I've posted (I built my Octavia from it), and notice how Q3 is wired up, basically Q3 generates anti-phase signals and feeds those signals onto two diodes(D1 and D2)which half-wave rectify the signals, the two signals then re-combine at the junction where the two diode cathodes join up, and yes it is still an octave-up effect:
Attachments
Roger Mayer Octavia Schematic
Roger Mayer Octavia Schematic
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: my own, a redesigned princeton
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!
there's videos that totally suck of about 90 of 'em here:
http://youtube.com/666pinkster
gimme a like: http://facebook.com/pinkjimiphotonrocks

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

thanks bro for the schem, and the explanation.
i've got it saved and amended for the future!

;) :applause:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

No worries at all, always happy to help-out....... :thumbsup

rousejeremy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rousejeremy »

The "Swell" section also works with other types of fuzz pedals.