S. Hawk Ltd. - Hawk II Tonal Expander  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Octopus1992
Information
Completed builds: Ragemaster with AC126 and capacitor switch
LPB-1 with lower values, but not a screaming bird.
SHO with some changes on cap values.
Fuzz Face with 2n2222a and 2n3440, and bias control
Some other atempts, but any of them really pleased me.

Post by Octopus1992 »

I got some boosters (in fact that's all I can do, overdrives and fuzzes never work because I'm too stupid to fix what I did wrong :x )
But this one is rare, and the clone is a lot of money
SO, one more thing to burn my fingertips with the iron, just to get some screaming good tone that reminds me of that crazy irish bluesman who changed my mind about how I should play my guitar. :lol:

jb351
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor
Completed builds: lots

Post by jb351 »

For the sake of a bump here are the pics are from Flynn Amps website. It's of Rory's own pedal.
BotHawk-noback.png
BotHawk-noback.png (66.95 KiB) Viewed 770 times
Sidehawk.jpeg
Sidehawk.jpeg (28.44 KiB) Viewed 770 times

jimled
Information

Post by jimled »

I'm too interesting to build this booster.

I have some photos.

ImageImageImageImage

I'm tryin to re-write circuts.

lovetone
Information

Post by lovetone »

Hello

has any body managed to find or draw the schematic for the Hawk II??

my7of9
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by my7of9 »

lovetone wrote:Hello

has any body managed to find or draw the schematic for the Hawk II??
+1 I am also a Rory fan may not be the best pedal out there but I would love to have a look.

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Hey Lads,

Another interesting incarnation of the Hawk II is the recently released Maritime Analog Effects Pedal Pistol Slapper - Booster/EQ/Overdrive
http://www.maritimeanalog.com/pistol_slapper.shtml

Flynn Amps' take on the Hawk II has the low pass filter on a tiny switch, the Slapper has it on a proper foot switch and it comes with a filter pot and rotary switch for different caps.
The Drive and Level pots are welcome additions as well, as the Volume pot on the Flynn pedal goes from "blimey, that's loud" on zero to "are you taking the piss ?" on ten, unity isn't an option.
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

jujub
Information

Post by jujub »

just bought flynn's one second hand, interested in shots?

oh7hhi
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by oh7hhi »

jujub wrote:just bought flynn's one second hand, interested in shots?
Of course we are! No need to ask, just post them :D :applause: .

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

jujub wrote:just bought flynn's one second hand, interested in shots?
Yes please.. I'd love to try one of these..
:thumbsup
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

jujub
Information

Post by jujub »

Here they are ;)

If you have any request just ask.... :D
Attachments
dscf5410.jpg
dscf5411.jpg

skumberg
Information

Post by skumberg »

Thanks for the pictures jujub! :applause:

It would be great if you can find any marking on the 3 big yellow inductors. It looks like they have been covered with yellow heatshrink. If there are no markings on them it is possible that removing the heatshrink will reveal the values. Be very careful if you do this. You don't want to cut into the inductor, just the heatshrink. Perhaps a small cut is enough to tear the rest open.

Looking at your second photo. The values of c6(black electrolyte), the small blue capacitor to the upper left of c6 and the bigger yellow capacitor above the small blue would also be of interest.

jujub
Information

Post by jujub »

i will do it as soon as possible

Steven_M
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Steven_M »

I'm surprised they opted for the two battery option rather than a charge pump. Also, jumpers on a double sided board?

jb351
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor
Completed builds: lots

Post by jb351 »

They do also offer a power supply for it now.
http://stores.ebay.ca/Flynn-Amps-Custom ... 4340.l2563

bootle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bootle »

hey dudes, just noticed this exchange on ebay where there's a Hawk II for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... escription

"Q: Hello, Are you the designer of this circuit? If so, could you please tell me the center frequencies of the different sliders? It seems to be an excellent pedal especially for those who wants the same booster as rory had. But perhaps my own eq has those frequencies already. Best regards Nicklas.

A: Hi Nicklas, Yea, I am the designer of the S.Hawk Ltd. series. The eq points on the Hawk II Tonal Expander are 170Hz, 550Hz and 2500Hz.These are not the points found on the typical recording and Hi Fi equalizers. More to the point, the Q or shape of the curve is quite different. The Hawk equalizers are the EQs for fretted instrument that implement the eq filters with inductors as opposed to the artificial inductors created by gyrators. hope this answers your question, Harry Kolbe."

so we have the center frequencies now, I think that's all we needed to complete the trace?

skumberg
Information

Post by skumberg »

Yes that gives the values 39mh 82mh and 390mh with 0.1u 1u 2.2u respectively. I will probably build it sometime this year with a pcb trace close to the original. But summer and olympics will delay it so don't wait for me...if I remember correctly you just have to adjust the two slider version for three slides with the values above.

skumberg
Information

Post by skumberg »

Thought about this again and I wonder what brand of inductors is in the reissues. I might be bourns 70F series. It looks like its the original 120R and 220R resistors in series with the inductors in the pedal, so that would mean the inductors are spot on in terms of dc resistance to the originals. If they thought about that. Thing is the inductor DC resistance and the series resistor affects the Q value. Higer R gives lower Q. I guess one could adjust the series resistor for different Q values and se what sounds best.

spaceace76
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by spaceace76 »

so has a schematic been agreed upon? AG's old schem is rather incomplete, and there isn't quite enough info on any one incarnation of this circuit to put together a complete schem (lots of broken links). This thing has been in the dark too long IMO...

but then again it's just an op amp boost with inductors used for the EQ. it wouldn't be too hard to design something that had those same center frequencies and boost switch.

Jodieamills
Information

Post by Jodieamills »

Just joining this forum, but thought you guys might like to know that there is an original Hawk II that just popped up on eBay. Emailed the lister and it's in 100% working condition and conditionally all original. They sent me a demo and the thing sounds like God.

McRuff
Information

Post by McRuff »

Just joined this site after seeing posts for S Hawk Ltd II tonal expander. Although I have a great photo component side, tracking down a photo of the solder/trace side has proven tough since there is a foam rectangle covering most of the board so battery cases do not come in contact with it. Does anyone have a clear complete shot of the solder side of the board?

I've owned S Hawk Ltd devices in the past (Hawk I) my first being purchased new (yes, I'm a dinosaur). The second being purchased years later on eBay. I successfully traced that board and built a clone in a more player friendly enclosure.

btw - any idea of the chip used in the II. The 'I' version used a common 741 op amp. I'm thinking that due to voltage requirements the II uses a 4131, but can't make out for sure.