Memphis - Tremolo Modulator

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Shockingly great sounding pedal from Memphis. Guts and PCB, I'd like to trace a schem.
Picture020-1.jpg
Picture018.jpg
Picture017.jpg
Interesting to me is the number of wasted traces and empty holes. Clearly they manufactured 2 or 3 boards and built different effects by populating different areas, but i wonder what else they made with this board.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this is AFTER i already true bypassed it, it had the usual spdt switch from the 70's.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

The way the jacks are mounted has a striking resemblance to the Coron Jet Flanger & Filter Matrix!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Interesting to me is the number of wasted traces and empty holes. Clearly they manufactured 2 or 3 boards and built different effects by populating different areas, but i wonder what else they made with this board.
phasers....

The picture below is from a Coron 70 "Space Machine".

When you compare it, you will see that you have a mistake in your wiring in that way that the capacitor beside the IC near the footswitch shouldn´t have a contact to footswitch...
I think you will hear the ticking of the LFo at the moment...
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

analogguru wrote:
phasers....

The picture below is from a Coron 70 "Space Machine".

When you compare it, you will see that you have a mistake in your wiring in that way that the capacitor beside the IC near the footswitch shouldn´t have a contact to footswitch...
I think you will hear the ticking of the LFo at the moment...
hmm, quite confused by what you say guru, as the original switch quite clearly connects there and I received no ticking, actually oddly enough the pedal was quiet as a mouse, and pleasingly choppy.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The wire of the switch is not only soldered to the according pad it is also soldered to the neighbour-pad of the capacitor.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

analogguru wrote:The wire of the switch is not only soldered to the according pad it is also soldered to the neighbour-pad of the capacitor.

analogguru
oh i see what you mean. no, picture defect. the two pads are not actually connected. by the way, those are some odd part numbers, what do you think suitable common replacements would be? all the IC's are the same and all the trannies are the same. possibly a 741 variant for the IC's? seems to be in the family. I'm figuring likely the two trannies would be subbed with general purpose NPN trans, i can't imagine they are fets or special transistors.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The diode is a Zener-diode probably 4,7 V or 5,1 V - must be written on it.
The transistor marked K92 is a 2SK 92 - a Fet comparable to 2SK 30A
The other transistor is a PNP-trannsistor - can´t read what´s written on it, probably Axxx (=2SA xxx).
The chips are NEC µPC 741 C which are 741.

I am missing some component values, especially from the capacitors. If I get them I can finish the prepared schematic.

analogguru

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

analogguru wrote:The diode is a Zener-diode probably 4,7 V or 5,1 V - must be written on it.
The transistor marked K92 is a 2SK 92 - a Fet comparable to 2SK 30A
The other transistor is a PNP-trannsistor - can´t read what´s written on it, probably Axxx (=2SA xxx).
The chips are NEC µPC 741 C which are 741.

I am missing some component values, especially from the capacitors. If I get them I can finish the prepared schematic.

analogguru
I've given the pedal back, but have easy access to it. i'll try to get it back within the next day or two and get you what values you need. Then once you have a schem, I'll have a try at the layout. could probably sub in 2n5457 for the fet, no?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

great team work guys :thumbsup :applause:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Barcode wrote:I've given the pedal back,....
I thought, that YOU yourself:
Barcode wrote:...like to trace a schem.
So for this reason i waited for your results.... :roll:
but now...without component values ? :hmmm:

The schematic is really funny and more intersting than any bootweak-pedal:
It is a "one-stage phaser"...
and for this will sound a bit like a vibrato.

analogguru

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

analogguru wrote:

analogguru
i was still planning on it, but i got the impression from your last post that you had worked a schem up minus a few values. but i can get the pedal back and start a-tracin'. you are right, it is quite a unique little tremolo. it's like it throws an out of phase signal in at regular intervals to cancel out the original signal to produce the trem.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

analogguru wrote:

analogguru
i think the red witch tremolo does something like that. At least that's the rumor. Never tried it my self.

Weren't all these pedals actually made in japan? That is what i had always thought. I always thought that was funny since they were named after an american city (although i suppose it could have been named after the ancient egyptian city) I remember seeing them practically brand new in pawn shops in the late 80's and no one wanted them... of course everyone thought the rockman stuff was awesome back then :roll:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Made by Coron, sold under different brand names like Asama, Grant, Memphis, Nashville, Storm... whatever you wanted to have printed on them.

analogguru

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

analogguru wrote:Made by Coron, sold under different brand names like Asama, Grant, Memphis, Nashville, Storm... whatever you wanted to have printed on them.

analogguru
never would have guessed that... the coron stuff i am vaguely familiar with were all black and looked like a DOD fx series pedal... of course those had plenty of different names on them as well... Probably more familiar with those, because i didnt pick up a guitar until 1989 or so.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Brian M wrote:
analogguru wrote:Made by Coron, sold under different brand names like Asama, Grant, Memphis, Nashville, Storm... whatever you wanted to have printed on them.

analogguru
never would have guessed that... the coron stuff i am vaguely familiar with were all black and looked like a DOD fx series pedal... of course those had plenty of different names on them as well... Probably more familiar with those, because i didnt pick up a guitar until 1989 or so.
you are correct that they are made in japan, it is stamped on the box.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Barcode wrote:
Brian M wrote:

analogguru
you are correct that they are made in japan, it is stamped on the box.
You know, sometimes i wish i could go back in time and kick my self in the butt for not loading up on stuff from pawn shops like this. The local place had a bunch of the nashville pedals for $15 to $20 each... but a boat load of the newer black 80's coron pedals... I was funny too, since they seemed to have 20 different brand names on them... washburn, sound city among others. Then again, i was dirt poor back then.

GT45
Information

Post by GT45 »

Newbie here looking for a Coron Space Machine or schematic, or a similar sounding easier-to-find pedal?

Any and all suggestions welcomed, and I have a few things I could post gut shots of if anyone's interested (ross stereo analog delay and dod 585-b, for starters)

thanks!
GT

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

any progress on the tremolo schematic ?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:any progress on the tremolo schematic ?
well, the friend that owned the pedal moved away before I could get it back from him. I should be seeing him soon though, will update.

Harold
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Harold »

Barcode wrote:
PurplePeopleEater wrote:any progress on the tremolo schematic ?
well, the friend that owned the pedal moved away before I could get it back from him. I should be seeing him soon though, will update.
I have a Coron Sound Cutter 60, which should be identical to the Memphis Tremolo Modulator acoording to this: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/me ... omodulator

I already planned to draw a schematic of it, but that's a skill I don't really own ... yet! ;)
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts