Analogman - King of Tone  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
FloPoeKo
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Reckmeyer-Modded Mesa Lonestar Classic

Post by FloPoeKo »

Has anyone confirmed which three resistors per "channel" are supposed to be carbon composite instead of carbon film as in the rest of the pedal (please no discussion on the merits of that practice, I sincerely beg you!)?
If one has an insight on that and maybe could refer to actual component numbers in a respective schematic since they all vary ab bit (e.g. "RX/Y/Z in the mad bean-schematic"). I´ve seen some posts on that matter, but to me their supposed location in the circuit somehow doesn´t make much sense...

Many thanks in advance!

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

FloPoeKo wrote:Has anyone confirmed which three resistors per "channel" are supposed to be carbon composite instead of carbon film as in the rest of the pedal (please no discussion on the merits of that practice, I sincerely beg you!)?
!
Why? Can't you bear to find out that there is no difference if you use other types of resistor? The only reason that CC types were used in some positions is that the original manufacturer had some of those values in CC in stock and wanted to get rid of them. He also thought that it would add to the bogus "mojo" value of what is - essentially - a copy of a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal.

We boutique constructors sometimes use hard-to-find components for no other reason than to try to prevent exact copies of our products!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

FloPoeKo
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Reckmeyer-Modded Mesa Lonestar Classic

Post by FloPoeKo »

mictester wrote:
FloPoeKo wrote:Has anyone confirmed which three resistors per "channel" are supposed to be carbon composite instead of carbon film as in the rest of the pedal (please no discussion on the merits of that practice, I sincerely beg you!)?
!
Why? Can't you bear to find out that there is no difference if you use other types of resistor? The only reason that CC types were used in some positions is that the original manufacturer had some of those values in CC in stock and wanted to get rid of them. He also thought that it would add to the bogus "mojo" value of what is - essentially - a copy of a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal.

We boutique constructors sometimes use hard-to-find components for no other reason than to try to prevent exact copies of our products!
And all my begging remained unheard :cry:

Seriously, I hear you, but to me thats the cost of 0.90€ and the extra socketing... I´d call that rarely an effort, but I wanted to try and hear for myself... 0.90€ and a 1 minute of swapping to debunk a myth by experience, that would be the essence of DIY as far as I´m concerned...
So, once again: Anyone knows the exact resistors?

LordoftheLivingRoom
Information

Post by LordoftheLivingRoom »

Almost all of the links in; Board index ‹ Stompbox Building ‹ Build-Your-Own-Boutique-Pedal < King of Tone; thread are dead. Does anyone have Madbeans Version 2 pcb toner transfer and layout files please?

rcustoms
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rcustoms »

LordoftheLivingRoom wrote:Almost all of the links in; Board index ‹ Stompbox Building ‹ Build-Your-Own-Boutique-Pedal < King of Tone; thread are dead. Does anyone have Madbeans Version 2 pcb toner transfer and layout files please?
as you wish
KingOfKlones_ver2.5.pdf
(762.98 KiB) Downloaded 756 times
http://www.rcustomspedals.blogspot.com
guitars,pedals and amps.
@zuleta.rafael(Instagram)

mojah63
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojah63 »

If one has an insight on that and maybe could refer to actual component numbers in a respective schematic since they all vary ab bit (e.g. "RX/Y/Z in the mad bean-schematic"). I´ve seen some posts on that matter, but to me their supposed location in the circuit somehow doesn´t make much sense...

Many thanks in advance!
The 10K after the drive and the 1K after the 2nd opamp directly in the signal path Are CC for added noise/mojo/aesthetics/ just because I can.... I've had a mad bean populated board on my bench for years someone traded me, I finally boxed it up last week. It's now happily boosting my 11R Vox model. Sounds really nice..

tiagojoy
Information
my favorite amplifier: fender

Post by tiagojoy »

My king of klone!
Attachments
13592205_1106670846038525_8407958210556126847_n.jpg

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Does anyone know what the purpose of the two 1µF caps in parallel are at the end of the circuit (one film and one electrolytic)? Why not just use a 2.2µF?
The television will not be revolutionized.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

The Rotagilla wrote:Does anyone know what the purpose of the two 1µF caps in parallel are at the end of the circuit (one film and one electrolytic)? Why not just use a 2.2µF?
Good question!
And 2,2uF seems a very large value, assuming the output is connected to a 1M impedance of the next stage.
Why not just use a 0,1uF film cap?

alambike
Information

Post by alambike »

Does anyone have the KoT version 4 ?

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Twin

Post by bugg »

alambike wrote:Does anyone have the KoT version 4 ?
You can find the schematic (and PCB if you wish) here: http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/paragon/

alambike
Information

Post by alambike »

bugg wrote:
alambike wrote:Does anyone have the KoT version 4 ?
You can find the schematic (and PCB if you wish) here: http://www.pedalpcb.com/product/paragon/
Hello,

At the pedalpcb there is only the pcb for sale. The documentation is not available.

Thank you for your help.

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Twin

Post by bugg »

Doh! That's one of the ones that haven't been uploaded yet, my apologies. Stay tuned, it'll be posted shortly.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

I finally have a v4 on the way after 7years on the list (and me losing the confirmation email). To be clear, waiting time was only 1,5years.

I'll post some pictures and details of the high gain side when I get it.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

btw I found this on my computer
Attachments
Aristocrat_ver.4-AnalogmanKingofTone.pdf
(806.31 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

I got the pedal, but only had a quick look. Cap values seem to be the same, except both input caps seem to be 22n instead of 10n, as shown in the aristocrat schematic.

I'll get some pictures and resistor values tomorrow.

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Seiche wrote:I got the pedal, but only had a quick look. Cap values seem to be the same, except both input caps seem to be 22n instead of 10n, as shown in the aristocrat schematic.

I'll get some pictures and resistor values tomorrow.
Yes man, please do. Most interested!!

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

- the input cap is 22n on both sides
- instead of 1s1588, this uses 1n914
- output cap of the high-gain red side has an "H" painted on it, but is the same value 105 as on the yellow side.
- the feedback loop cap on the yellow side ist a weird value. 505? The red side has the usual 101=100pF.

I haven't verified all of the resistors.
kot_v4_2018.png
feedback_cap_yellow_side.png
feedback_cap_yellow_side.png (444.68 KiB) Viewed 4570 times

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Seiche wrote: after 7years on the list
Am I correct you are not joking? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
Seiche wrote: after 7years on the list
Am I correct you are not joking? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Haha you are correct, however, I did not WAIT 7 years for the pedal. I just didnt decide for 5,5 years if i wanted the pedal. But when I did, they sent it the next day :)