Bearfoot - Honey Beest

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

I have a Fender Stratocaster Mex, but even an Ibanez. I could use a switch for both the mode.
Thanks! :D

daeg
Information

Post by daeg »

HamishR wrote:Hey Daeg - thanks for the schematic!... And it sounds fantastic.
Hamish, I can't tell you how happy I am that you built and tested these. I actually purchased both ($350) for the sole purpose of tracing them.
They were tricky to dissect and I had them on the workbench for like 4 months before the schematics came together, and it would all be for nothing if the threads just got buried and no one built them.
HamishR wrote: When building it I used the obvious alternatives for unusual values - 5K6 for 5K67 (unless that is a typo?), 2K7 for 2K6, 1N4001 for the 1N4007s
The Honey Beest used precision resistors in some places, so the values actually were 150k or 5.67k. These were both labeled and measured as such.
I thought this was weird too and intend to substitute standard values when I go to build it.
HamishR wrote: You can still get lower gain sounds from it though by putting Pregain at zero. Actually I think I like this one better than the original I had because this one seems to clean up in the low end better with the Nature control. The lows are still massive with Nature fully CCW but I can get great clear low strings by keeping it at noon.
Side-by-side the Honey Beest had a totally smooth transition into breakup, whereas the Honeybee v5 (the One Control model) had a much sharper knee between clean and clipping. I can't figure out why this is, my best guess is that the SMD Diodes have something to do with it. I'm curious if you've noticed this in your builds?
HamishR wrote: As you may expect, it sounds like a higher gain version of the HB.
I really prefer the extended functionality of the Honey Beest. If I were to put the regular Honey Bee on my board I'd always be just wanting a little more. However, I do notice that the Honey Beest does have a little bit more high frequency roll-off and sounded dark at low gain settings. Did you not experience this? Did you change C3?

I have something really special based on the Beest built on breadboard and can't wait to share it with you all.

daeg
Information

Post by daeg »

BTW I'm using these pedals with a Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. Sounds absolutely fantastic even using the thin Bridge Pickup. I've found my Overdrive heaven.

To go into 'Crunch' mode I boost into it with a RoG Supreux Deux or JHS Superbolt.

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

Hey Daeg - no I didn't change C3 but I did change C1 from 22n to 47n. And as I stated I used 2u2 at Nature 1 rather than 22uF. In hindsight I can believe that 22uF is correct but I love how it sounds so much with the 2u2 that I'm not changing it! :-)

I have been comparing it with the One Control HB I built thanks to your schematic and also with a Sparkling Yellow OD I just built. I can get quite similar sounds from all 3 but obviously the Beest is gainier than the HB. I am spoilt because I can use whichever with different amps and guitars - some combinations work better than others. I love the One Control HB too - I find the transition from clean to dirty extremely smooth, so maybe it is a case of SMD sounding harsher? I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference. Obviously I used through-hole components - all very standard and boring. I like the One Control version better than others I have built, so thanks again for all your hard work. And thanks very much to Bjorn of course.

The extra gain of the Beest is welcome with a Strat. I don't use a lot of dirt - I play a lot in the clean-to-dirty region and love how these pedals can handle that. Maybe the 2u2 is the difference - Some of the Bjorn designs get too mushy for me in the lows but these pedals stay clear and crisp but still have tons of lows. If I use the one Control HB in vintage mode it gets too boomy a lot of the time unless I turn the Nature up. I think if I played a Jazzmaster I would love the Beest too!

You would like the Sparkling Yellow OD I think.