The Orange sound ...

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
doombox92
Information

Post by doombox92 »

Had a good look at a CR120 last week. The Clean channel is very sweet, but when pushed with a boost gives a nasty 'fizz'. The overdrive channel needs no boosting because it is a fantastic heavy monster sound. Since I like the idea of preamp pedals, I figure the crunch channel of this amp could make an awesome dirtbox. I'll attach the drawing of the schematic (drawing is mine, circuit-design is not). I'll run some simulations later this month to possibly incorporate fully parametric mid controls, getting the sound closer the Bax Bangeetar (I imagine the Solid State design team of Orange did not design that one out of thin air, rather than base it upon something they already had)
Might attempt a veroboard design as well, but I hate veroboard and it hates me back.

Bottom line: The strategy that the Orange R&D used to take the original Rockerverb Schematic and turn it solid state might as well be implemented for other preamp designs. Let there be no doubt about it: The CR120 is an awesome sounding amp ...
Attachments
CR120.png

doombox92
Information

Post by doombox92 »

Spotted a mistake in the Clean Channel Eq.
The whole schematic is fairly consistent with the Rockerverb schematic, so alas C10 should be 110p, not 110n. I'll inevitably find some other ones so I'll wait with an update //reupload

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thumpy low-mid emphasis in the dirt-channel looks to be recreated by blocking bass frequencies (C20) and rolling off above 1.5K (C21). They're only first-order roll-offs so after amplification, clipping and a tone-stack with inherent mid-scoop, all of it sounds coherent, with plenty of remaining low-end. 't Would be cool though to try and increase all coupling-cap values and insert an OR120-style F.A.C. (switchable input-capacitor-array)

thesmokingman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thesmokingman »

the bax IS all tl072, the gain pot IS dual-gang ... however the EQ is different seeing as you have a bax treb/bass and a three knob parametric mid ... plus the boost and cab sim stuff ... and charge pump. also, they split the pcb into two boards. I think the pedal suffers some from the detent pots which I suspect was done so they could provide some default settings that are easily identifiable considering the complexity of the tone controls

doombox92
Information

Post by doombox92 »

I've temporarily shelved the project of doing a pcb design/ pedalized version, but in my head I'm still working on it. Got some photo's of the BAX by any chance?

thesmokingman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thesmokingman »

I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days, will move that discussion over to the proper forum if I do

juice2
Information

Post by juice2 »

doombox92
VA on the schematic - how many volts there?

doombox92
Information

Post by doombox92 »

+-15V, LM7815 / LM7915 regulated

Optical
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Optical »

Bump for Orange love
Has anyone played around with the CR120 circuit some more or investigated the bax Bangeetar?

Optical
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Optical »

I saw this circuit floating around for a bax stack with semi parametric mids