MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe [gut shots, tracing]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

Hello,

I had recently a possibility to take some board pictures of MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.
I also tried to trace as many path as I could.

All photos are here:

ICs in the pedal are:
HEF4013BT - flip flop
MC33179DG - quad opamp
MC33178 - dual opamp
MC33174 - quad opamp
TL064C - quad opamp
3578 AM - switching regulator

If anyone could verify the paths I traced or help drawing a schematic, that would be great.

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

I also tried to trace as many path as I could.
You have done pretty good here. I traced over a few parts of the circuit by eye and there's some places where some tracks are missing because I couldn't follow where the connection went.

It would probably be useful to also post a pic the top and bottom of the PCB without the blue traces.

Not unexpected, it does has some parts of the circuit common with the Boss OC-2 (and all the copies).

U3 HEF4013BT - flip flop
U5 MC33179DG - quad opamp
U4 MC33178 - dual opamp
U6 MC33174 - quad opamp
U2 TL064C - quad opamp
U1 3578 AM - switching regulator

Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

It would probably be useful to also post a pic the top and bottom of the PCB without the blue traces.
Good idea, uploaded to drive :wink:
it does has some parts of the circuit common with the Boss OC-2
So I have retraced the envelope follower and flip flop frequency divider of BOD. It's identical to OC-2, with slight different component values. And it does not have the 4027 IC which divides frequency for OCT 2.
Attachments
envelope follower and flip flop frequency divider
envelope follower and flip flop frequency divider
Screenshot 2019-08-14 at 22.42.46.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 6192 times

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

Good idea, uploaded to drive :wink:
Thanks!
So I have retraced the envelope follower and flip flop frequency divider of BOD. It's identical to OC-2, with slight different component values. And it does not have the 4027 IC which divides frequency for OCT 2.
Great. I could see that yesterday but I lost the exact connections between the rectifier and the 4013.

Don't worry about the lack of 4027. The MXR Octave works differently. It only produce one octave down. The Girth control is like the Boss OCT1. The difference is the Growl. I'm not 100% sure what it does. From what I can see the Growl signal path has a different filter with a higher low-pass cut-off frequency. I don't know if they just take signal from the phase inverter (the circuit with the JFET) and pass it through a different filter, or, if it is derived from a square-wave and used some sort of envelope shaping. My gut feeling is it's just another filter but I have a small amount of doubt as the Growl signal has virtually no even harmonics.

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

I forgot to mention I eyeballed the phase inverter and the low pass filter yesterday and it was very similar to the OC2, same resistor values.

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

OK, here's the phase inverter and the Girth Filter.

I've also posted a plot of Growl spectrum vs Girth Spectrum. These were from a similar but not identical input signal so they are not 100% correct. From the spectrum I extracted the peaks. Then from that I extracted a rough estimate of the Growl filter on it's own (magenta). I also plotted the difference between the Girth and Growl. You can see Growl is like a treble boosted Girth *but* the spectrum isn't the same since Growl has some harmonics missing.
Attachments
Estimated Growl Filter Response V10.png
MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe - 2019_08_15 V1.0 markup.png

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

So it looks like the Growl circuit is similar to the Boss OC2 and there is in fact a similar but different circuit for the Girth.

I haven't done the input socket through to the circuit input as many traces disappear.

The Mid+ LED looks a bit odd. Not sure if it lights when the effect is off.

Notice the JFETs on the phase-inverters are P-channel and the pull-up resistor R33 goes to +V. The Boss unit uses N-channel and the resistor goes to 0V.
Attachments
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe V0.1 (WIP unverified).png

Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

Great work! It looks like both girth and growl have to differences: different low pass filters and probably a different wave shape.
As I red here https://championleccy.files.wordpress.c ... -synth.pdf, due to absence of diode before U5, the wave won’t have the same DC offset.

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

It looks like both girth and growl have to differences: different low pass filters and probably a different wave shape.
As I red here https://championleccy.files.wordpress.c ... -synth.pdf, due to absence of diode before U5, the wave won’t have the same DC offset.
That's a good article. You can hear the difference between the different methods.

The Bass Octave Deluxe does a bit more to deliberately change the tone on the Girth. If you look at R51 (330k) the V0.1 schematic it's a high value. That means when the JFET (Q10) is off the gain is about 1 but when the JFET is on the gain is about 7. So one part of the waveform gets stretched and clipped, which changes the character of the tone.

If you look at the schematic for the "other" "MXR Bass Octave" (I'm not actually sure what MXR pedal that is yet), you can see the same 330k as the Girth channel. The filter is different.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28143

However, it is possible to make the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe with the 3x68k resistors sound the same as the filter in this circuit. Using the same sounding filter is a guess as without sound samples we still don't know if the Octave sound of the "MXR Bass Octave" is the same as the Girth sound on the Bass Octave Deluxe. It would be a good start though. Really, we don't know the Growl filter on the Bass Octave Deluxe is the same as the Boss OC-2 that's really just a good guess too.

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

I had a thought about the filters

The Girth circuit seems to follow the EBS Octabass circuit.

The 330k (R51) resistor on the Girth circuit matches the Octabass circuit.

Also, for the middle and lower filter switch settings the Octabass has 3x68k's on the filter.
So a good guess for the cap values on the Octave Deluxe would to choose those.
To match Middle setting: C29 = 33n, C32=47n, C28=3n3
To match Low setting: C29 = 33n, C32=2x47n (~100n), C28=3n3
I have a feeling the Girth setting might match the low setting as
its purpose is for a deeper sound.

Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

With some precision guess work, I have traced almost the whole thing. Or at least the important part.
Big thanks to george giblet for deducting that Girth circuit is identical to EBS Octabass mid/low setting!

On the attached schematic I have omitted some parts of the board:
  • 9V to 18V charge pump
    based on U1 (LM3578AM), with additional Q5 and Q6
    almost identical to Figure 32. Boost or Step-Up Regulator from LM3578 documentation http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm3578a.pdf
  • VR supply
    based on 1/4 U2 (TL064C)
  • unused 1/4 of U5 (33179)
  • mid+ LED switch with Q1
  • true bypass switching
    with Q12 and Q13 used for connecting in and out to ground when bypassed
    and LED control with Q11
Parts marked X (C22, R27, R28, R32) are labeled on the board, but not soldered.
Unfortunately I am unable to get SMD capacitors, transistors and diodes values, so that would still need some more precision guess work :wink:
Attachments
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe.png

george giblet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by george giblet »

I have traced almost the whole thing. Or at least the important part.
Good work man!

The last time I looked at it I was checking some stuff around the rectifier/detector.
Can't remember the details though.

cluster
Information
my favorite amplifier: peavey bravo 112

Post by cluster »

Hello!
what is transistor Q5?

cluster
Information

Post by cluster »

and q6?

Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

cluster wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 18:05 Hello!
what is transistor Q5?
cluster wrote: 06 Jan 2021, 18:23and q6?
I don't know their values, but they are in voltage doubler circuit with LM3578AM.

POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by POTL »

What do you think is the point in doubling the tension? Will this have a positive effect on octave performance or tracking?
Or is it just to increase the dynamic range?

Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

Dynamic range too, but generally analog octave pedals tend to track better at 12-18V.

cluster
Information

Post by cluster »

Q5=MMBFJ177LT1
Q6=MMBT5087LT1G

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

Nice work everybody, I recently came across this thread, have one of those pedals, sounds pretty good IMHO. I do sometimes miss the OC-2 though, it is not quite the same "feel".
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

Cruton
Information

Post by Cruton »

Big thanks to the folks who did the work to make a schematic of this thing. It helped me immensely in troubleshooting one of these a few months back. I wanted to make a minor contribution here that might help others in the future.

I got one of these that wasn’t getting any power to the main circuit (the “mid” LED worked fine). Pin 5 of the LM3578 was only getting 1.3V. After replacing the 3578 and trying a few other possibilities to no avail, I removed the input jack so I could figure out what in the world could be between the 9V jack/polarity protection diode/main power filter cap and the 3578 voltage doubler circuit. Turns out, there’s a 7606 MOSFET IC and 2 MMBT5089 transistors under the input jack! I replaced all 3 and got my power back. Maybe this will be helpful to someone in the future— I thought I was never going to figure it out. Definitely didn’t suspect SMD components under the jack!
Attachments
99E25ADF-EE51-4956-931C-E1B8A290BF9F.jpeg