OMFG BEAVIS RULES

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

check this shit out!!!

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/index.htm

[smilie=bowdown.gif] Beavis without you there'd be no universe Nice F'n Job Bro :thumbsup

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

wow- what a great idea!

nice one! :applause:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

LMJS
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by LMJS »

Some time ago, a guy was offering a pedal experimenters deal on the internet for about $125 or so and Beavis (I believe) ordered one like he mentioned on his website.
Looks like improvement on a good idea but it does appear that inflation has hit the pricing.

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

LMJS wrote:Some time ago, a guy was offering a pedal experimenters deal on the internet for about $125 or so and Beavis (I believe) ordered one like he mentioned on his website.
Looks like improvement on a good idea but it does appear that inflation has hit the pricing.

welll if you dig around, you'll find that Beavis offers up the information, layout and wiring diagram for building your own I/O box, everything else is available at Radio Shack.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

seems to be a greatly improved version of this, which has been available for a few years now....

http://www.killertone.com/

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

MoreCowbell wrote:seems to be a greatly improved version of this, which has been available for a few years now....

http://www.killertone.com/
yeah i never liked the way that system was setup. Seems convienent but not really, who the hell would want to be putting a bread board on thier pedal board? beavis' comes from an engineering standpoint.

lefty
Information

Post by lefty »

What might be easily missed by a cursory glance is that Beavis has put a lot of effort into projects that come with it. You're paying for the hand-holding, newb friendly guide to building a pile of classic circuits as much as you are the parts.

LMJS
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by LMJS »

Don't get me wrong, I think Dano's stuff is very cool.
I was only commenting on the price and taking into account the comments above and the work he has done, I reckon it seems fair enough.
Attaboy, Beavis!

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

lefty wrote:What might be easily missed by a cursory glance is that Beavis has put a lot of effort into projects that come with it. You're paying for the hand-holding, newb friendly guide to building a pile of classic circuits as much as you are the parts.
Definetly agree with you. Beavis' site is one of the most organize, intresting and funny ( his WTF comments kill me hahah ) if one were to pay for his service, they would get thier money's worth. Unfortunately, im 24, just got married and had a baby and currently working on surviving as a teller at a local bank. having the ability to attain a wealth of knowledge for what I pay for an internet connection a month is well worth it. If i could afford to buy it from him I would b/c its easier than sourcing all the parts yourself and putting it all together. Beavis' techpages have saved me from many a frustration while working on stuff. I have nothing but gratitude and respect for all of those who put up sites with information benificial for the diy community. although i dont have a site, I try to share as much circuit, mod and electronics information that i can find and post it here. sometimes its dead at work and I can surf the net for various topics and usually find something worthwhile everyday. anyways..

puppiesonacid

paperhouse
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by paperhouse »

I love beavis. His prices aren't cheap but think of it this way - it pays for his web site and funds more stuff for him to experiment with.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

This thing is great ! A bit expensive, but considering all the parts included and the labor involved, i think it's fair. And all these costly details : varnished woden base, bags and boxes for parts, wires soldered on the pots ...
Having two small breadboards instead of one bigger makes a lot of sense, it's easier to have two designs at different competion stages. I also like a lot the free availability of the instructions !

Too bad i already have (almost) everything in the kit, i would have ordered one on the spot. But i will recommend it to some DIY-wannabee friends of mine ...

A couple of suggestions to make it even better :
- some bracket to mount pots and switches, a bit like that : http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/protofx6.gif It's a lot easier to tweak a pot when you don't need the other hand to hold it ... so you can strum (or tap) at the same time.
- the most common pots and switches could be readily mounted in the breakout box (for example two SPDT, at least a 100k log volume, maybe also a 100k lin tone and a 500k log gain), if anything else is needed you mount it on the aforementionned bracket.
- for me, the voltage sag pot is cool but not essential. Better to have an easy way to wire it when you want.
- some sort of removable cover to protect the breadboard area, ideally clear plastic or acrylic. Does not need to be tough, it's not intended to gig with, but some protection can be useful when enthousiast testing happens (after all there is a stomp switch nearby), or just as dust cover for long-term iterative optimization of a design :roll:
- a ground plug for the multimeter, again only one hand needed to take basic measurements. Or include a crocodile clip and a post to grip it.
- Is there a permanent connection of the power lines on the breadboards ? If no, a good idea would be to wire VCC, VCC/2, GND. The last one kept available for specific bias. And basic power supply filtering in the breakout box.

Hmm, time for a contest "Best Tweaks of the Beavis Board" :mrgreen:
Attachments
By the way, what do you think of mine ? Not as pretty, i know ...
By the way, what do you think of mine ? Not as pretty, i know ...
breadboard.png (272.42 KiB) Viewed 3326 times
I only give negative feedback.

beavis
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by beavis »

Hi guys!

My mission with beavis is to get more people into DIY. And it has been a load of fun so far.

The beavis board grew out of a bunch of emails from people over the years. Lot's of questions and problems that kept people from getting over the hump, so to speak. I tried to address these problems (difficulty in ordering the right parts, difficulty in going from schematic to breadboard, etc.) with the board. I was interested in the tonecrafter stuff way back, but a stompbox format seemed too limiting, and the overall layout made it harder to generate lots of projects. So I never went that route, instead I let the idea mull around for a few years.

So far it has been a big hit and I'm looking forward to getting lots of feedback. Woot!

It's priced where it is to balance between people being able to get everything they need in one swoop, vs. too low that means I have to build lots and lots. Free time is a precious commodity at beavis world headquarters.

For those who want to build their own, there is a diagram on the site to make one, and as with all the beavis stuff, the docs and breadboard layouts are freely downloadable for everyone--even if you don't want to buy one.

Happy Tuesday!
beavisaudio.com

LMJS
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by LMJS »

If Kharma was currency, it could be said you would be Warren Buffett.

newbuilder
Information

Post by newbuilder »

Hi Everyone.

Well... I'm BRAND new here. I've been building projects (mostly breadboarded) for several years, and I just discovered the Beavis Board. From what I have seen it really looks like a great tool for any builder. Yes it IS a little expensive... but you could never source all those parts yourself for much less. I mean ....well.... you could, but not if you time is of any value !

I was wondering though.... is the "sag" pot on the unit an actual potentiometer? or is it a rheostat? Not really a big deal... I'm just curious. I imagine all of my designs will stay strictly 9V.

Anyway............... GREAT Forum !

.Mike
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by .Mike »

My website: America's Debate | My effects site: Just one more build...

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

.Mike wrote:It's probably this: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/
Almost certainly is. (Cautiously phrased because I've never seen one so can't say with absolute certainty). I prefer to use a 5k pot rather than 10k though.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

it's a simple pot wired as either a variable resistor or a divider. i've gone all the way up to a 350K variable resistor with good results before. it just depends on the circuit. for opamp type stuff, you are better off going with 5/10K. discrete stuff you can go much higher. make sure you have a large power filtering cap from V to Gr or else you'll get that crazy oscillation. of course unless you are into that kinda thing. :twisted:
you could always put the filter cap on a spst switch... not sure if i've actually seen anyone do that yet. looks like i might have a new blog subject myself!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO