Vox - Repeat Percussion (V 809)  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

A self-proclaimed "All-Knowing Guru" is offering a "corrected" schematic of the Vox Repeat Percussion here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=38473.40

There is at least one thing what the self-proclaimed "All-Knowing Guru" doesn´t know:
His schematic neither original nor is it correct - so it is more a fake.

For comparision purposes here is the (wrong) original schematic

and as FSB birthday present No. 2 is here a traced (and for this reason really correct) and tested schematic:

Vox - Repeat Percussion schematic

Happy birthday FSB,
analogguru
Attachments
Vox_RepeatPercussion.gif
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

I would DEFINITELY recommend buying several 2N2646 UJT's to try out in this circuit. Some will make the tremolo work great, others won't work at all.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

:hug: Mine works just great....Thank You mister Guru for the schematic............ :thumbsup
Attachments
V809 Repeat Percussion vox.rar
(42.08 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
V809.JPG

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Thank you m'r Boris ;)

Would it be an option to download pdffactory pro, at http://www.fineprint.com/, and use the trial version to prit that layout as a PDF, saving the non-expresspcb users that hassle of installing expresspcb???

But nevertheless, thanks! Good to see people not going the vero- road (no flame intended at any vero leyouters ;) )
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Thank you Mr Dirk :thumbsup

I will follow your sugestion :thumbsup
it is a good advice... :D
... I post the express PCB file also,so people could modify layout,traces.....

[smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif] the summer finaly begins!
Greetings to all nice people on this forum!
Attachments
ExpressPCB.pdf
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
vox pcb.pdf
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 674 times

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

thanks boris! been dyin to get this one goin.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

Don't you die man!!! :block:

I added little SW and now have 3 cap's ( electrolytic)-switchable in place of 10mF.....try smaller valyes(0.47mF....2,2mF) cap......so there is kind of ring modulator sound possible in high speeds
It is recomended to put socket's for tranny's so you could experiment ............

when I connect phaser there was ticking ....but just put input cap 2,2mF

that is all ......

Gripp
Information

Post by Gripp »

Thanks all!!

Newcomer to this forum here.
I have the RP on my breadboard right now ( has been there for 6 months or something), constructed from various schems floating around and it works.
But it'll be nice to see how it sounds constructed from a true known good schem.
What's more, I've build quite a few pretty complex boxes and can handle the electonic side of things but doing layouts scare me.
This Lo for the RP is just what I need, thanks again Boris!

Best!
Pelle

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

analogguru wrote:A self-proclaimed "All-Knowing Guru" is offering a "corrected" schematic of the Vox Repeat Percussion here:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=38473.40

There is at least one thing what the self-proclaimed "All-Knowing Guru" doesn´t know:
His schematic neither original nor is it correct - so it is more a fake.

For comparision purposes here is the (wrong) original schematic
I originally made a corrected schematic using what turned out to be an incorrect 2N2646 layout. :oops: :slap: If you read further you'll find that I discovered the error and corrected it, offering the corrected schematic once again. It was traced from an actual unit except for my 2N2646 orientation.
analogguru wrote:and as FSB birthday present No. 2 is here a traced (and for this reason really correct) and tested schematic:

Vox - Repeat Percussion schematic
Yes, I'm sure that one works, however, I've been using the newest corrected version for my Trem-O-Matic pedals since I started building them and it works fine. You're also welcome to download it using the link at the DIY forum, Mr. "self-proclaimed guru" . :D
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

offering the corrected schematic once again. It was traced from an actual unit except for my 2N2646 orientation.
This I can´t believe, since it is still incorrect:
The mistake is in the 820 Ohm resistor which in a real unit is 82k....
The difference between 5k6 and 4k7 is not so important
You're also welcome to download it using the link at the DIY forum...
I already downloaded it, for this reason I knew that it is wrong...
Mr. "self-proclaimed guru". :D
:hmmm: ...maybe yes, but for sure not the "All-Knowing" one...... :roll: :D

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

analogguru wrote:
offering the corrected schematic once again. It was traced from an actual unit except for my 2N2646 orientation.
This I can´t believe, since it is still incorrect:
The mistake is in the 820 Ohm resistor which in a real unit is 82k....
The difference between 5k6 and 4k7 is not so important

What I did was scan the original Vox schematic again and modify it. Apparently I forgot to adjust the value of R7 this time which should be 82K, as you pointed out. Thank you for correcting me, however I wish you had just emailed me about it. I'll make the correction once again and upload it to my site.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Ron Neely II

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Above this components is written: MOD like "modification".
The componenent numbers are identical to the original (below) and would replace them.

analogguru

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

I just built a Repeat Percussion from AG's schematic. It's a cool sounding pedal. I have noticed, however, that there is a bit of a volume drop with the pedal engaged. Is that normal? :scratch:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

You can reduce the value of the 3k3 emitter resistor (R13) to compensate for that.

analogguru

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

Great. I shall try that. Thank you. :applause:

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Chugs wrote:Great. I shall try that. Thank you. :applause:

Try a 1.5K on the emitter.
Ron Neely II

dperry
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super 60 or Teisco Checkmate
Completed builds: Lots and Lots and Lots

Post by dperry »

I built this from the schematic too, and also noticed the volume drop.

A 1.5K on the emitter seems to only let the oscillator work in a very small range of the speed pot, so i presume something a bit larger? 2.2k?

Also...the depth knob acts more like a master volume, is this correct?

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

Any tremolo-like device (this is one, just an odd kind of LFO) can be either cut-only, boost-only, or cut-and-boost with it's amplitude variation.

Boost-only doesn't get out much, as it doesn't offer the fade-to-quiet on the down variations.

Cut-only tremolos work by offering only reductions of level from the normal level. This causes an apparent loss of volume, because your ear hears the up-and-down volume variations and senses the lowered volume times as a reduction in overall volume.

Cut-and-boost tremos inherently hold the same "average" volume level, and are therefore simpler to deal with in a live playing setting. The volume doesn't go down when you hit the footswitch. But the circuit complexity of cut-and-boost is significantly more than cut-only circuits.

Cut-only plus a fixed boost is the compromise which happens a lot in the effects world. The repeat percussion does this style. The UJT and modulation transistor cut the incoming signal level; the transistor amplifier boost it back up to help make up for the apparent cut in levels. Cut-only-plus-fixed-boost can only approximately compensate for the change in apparent level. Changing the depth parameter also requires a change in the boost to make it come out the same apparent level. Works OK if you don't need to change depths while you're playing.

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

I just built a second Vox Repeat for a friend who is a BIG Spaceman 3 fan but the speed pot only works in a small part of the pot's range and then, at the fast end of the pot's range, the effect stops "repeating" completely. I tried a couple of different 2N2646 transistors but that didn't seem to make much difference. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this problem?

Is this the same problem you had dperry? I used 3k3 on the 2nd transistor's emitter as per the schematic.

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

What taper did you use for your rate pot? This may be a case where audio or reverse audio could make a lot of difference.
Dick joke has expired.