EHX - Metal Muff  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

i thought i'd add it even tho i cant see it being used, its always nice to have more schems and pics on the forum.
for $89 i think its a great deal, i love this effect...it kicks ass over the box of metal IMO!
aametalmuffrc.jpg
Attachments
aametalmuffrc.pdf
EHX - Metal Muff schematic
(118.11 KiB) Downloaded 888 times
Last edited by bumblebee on 03 Jan 2008, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I agree. I use mine all of the time. The pots are very "reactive".

marcao_cfh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marcao_cfh »

Thanks a lot. I was thinking it was a modded Big Muff.

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

bumblebee wrote:i thought i'd add it even tho i cant see it being used, its always nice to have more schems and pics on the forum.
for $89 i think its a great deal, i love this effect...it kicks ass over the box of metal IMO!
Schematic

pic

8)
have you tried the Box of Metal already bumblebee?

snail

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

nope,but ive heard a lot of really good samples both on zachis site and from other guys.
its good, dont get me wrong but OVERALL its no better.
things to consider:

ZVEX-
hype =all hype.
cost = $360 fucking ridiculous.
sound = sounds good but not $360 good.has a gate and without it its a very noisy pedal.3band EQ, unconvincingly turns a twin reverb into a mesa stack
paint job = looks like shit.
size=MXR
construction =SMD
guarantee =life

EH MM-
hype =zero hype,infact id say anti-hype.
cost = $89 is a bargain
sound = sounds as good IMHO.no gate but i havent found the need for a gate as its quiet as a mouse.its buffered bypass also but its really good bypass buffer or not. 3band EQ.topboost. more convincingly turns my twin reverb into a mesa stack.
paint job = nice and simple.
size=just over two MXR boxes stacked sideways,still small.
construction=SMD
guarantee= 1 year

considering these factors i would take the MM over the BOM anytime.

im not so anti-zachiboi that i'd boycott his effects(although its crossed my mind), i own a couple of his "inventions"lmao

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

marcao_cfh wrote:Thanks a lot. I was thinking it was a modded Big Muff.
Me too! This sure ain't a BMP! bits of it remind me of a schematic I saw for the Dano Fab metal but this is more complex. Interesting!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Amazing.... really amazing.... those "similarities".... to the DOD FX69B Grunge Distortion....

Isn´t the FX69B a cheap pedal on evilbay ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Kaos
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super Sonic

Post by Kaos »

analogguru wrote:"similarities"
ehehehee^^
The camel is a horse designed by a committee that never met.

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

You're kidding... the dod grunge has a reputation for sounding horrible... yet this thing gets rave reviews.

I gotta go look up that grunge schematic(I probably have it)... but this just goes to show the power of mojo.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know if the digitech grunge is the same animal? I hadn't known they make a pedal by that name til my son's friend brought one over last week. Says it sounds "like ass"(his exact words). Wants to know if I can 'fix' it... but it ain't broke. Heh...

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

Found the schematic(had to google it)...

here

yeah, they have a lot in common... not quite the same, but certainly along the same lines. Looks like EH took the grunge circuit and went a bit further with it.

Holy crap AG, you really have an eye for these things!

Now I gotta go see if I can find a schematic for the digitech...

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Dod and Digitech always have been the same company....
I would assume that the Diugitech Grunge is the SMD version of the FX69B...

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Meanderthal wrote:You're kidding... the dod grunge has a reputation for sounding horrible... yet this thing gets rave reviews.
I still have my 90's "vintage" Grunge pedal. It's not the greatest, but if you're careful with the settings, you can actually get some decent tones. It gets a fairly convincing Marshall-y crunch with the gain control set low. Of course, it doesn't sound anything like the stereotypical "Grunge" tone, but that tone is easily gotten with a DS-1 or Big Muff.

In comparison, I tried the Metal Muff out at a store a few months back and I thought it sounded terrible. It reminded me more of a Metal Zone (another pedal I HATE) than a Grunge. The Top Boost is so shrill and nasty sounding, I'd never use it. And I LIKE bright sounds. To me the MM, is just way over the top and fake with no dynamic response at all. I'd take a Grunge over it any day.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ieatyouforbreakfast »

ibanez smash box.

undiscovered gem of the pedal world.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

soulsonic wrote: .....................................................I tried the Metal Muff out at a store a few months back and I thought it sounded terrible. It reminded me more of a Metal Zone (another pedal I HATE) than a Grunge. The Top Boost is so shrill and nasty sounding, I'd never use it. And I LIKE bright sounds. To me the MM, is just way over the top and fake with no dynamic response at all. I'd take a Grunge over it any day.
true,the topboost is shrill and pretty awful. like ya said, its also very similar to the metalzone imo as well.
i like this pedal for one reason...it does scooped mids death metal kinda riffs excellent, also does some heavy melvins kinda riffs really well.
you really need to scoop the mids for it to sound good as the mid frequencies past 1oclock are pretty crap. it has its uses and does what i want it to really good but its definitely not a be all and end all pedal....although, i'm yet to find one of those.lol

for that kinda music its great but if people are expecting a classic 80's metal sound they'll be severely disappointed.

8)

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

analogguru wrote:Dod and Digitech always have been the same company....
I would assume that the Diugitech Grunge is the SMD version of the FX69B...

analogguru
Thanks!

I knew that they at least used to be the same company... wasn't sure if they still were. Heh- mormon pedals...

I had hoped for an easy mod for the kid, but I hate monkeying around with SMD... I think I'll just slap a cap across the output to kill the fizz for him. Seems to be the main complaint- too "digital" sounding. LOL! He was skeptical when I told him it wasn't digital.

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

I've used the MM and the Grunge. They don't sound anything alike. I mean worlds apart. Circuit similarities do not the same sound make.

The MM is okay on its own, better than other standalone high-gain pedals I've used so far. But it really shines if you boost it with a warm overdrive (I use my Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive for this purpose) and use an EQ after it to sculpt its sound. Keep its distortion at about noon or so, leave its EQ flat on the mids and treble and cut back the bass. Add the bass back in with the EQ and boom, you've got tight, ballsy gain with cut 'til forever.

As far as the top boost goes, less is more here. I never have mine above 1/4 of the way up, and it already has a huge impact on the sound. It's a great solo boost if you use it right - I use it on the neck pickup of my customized strat to bring out the Lace Blue's inner demons. Great, full-bodied sound with plenty of edge and bite thanks to the TB.

I use it with a Randall and a 4x12 V30 cab. I could see how it might sound bad with a differently voiced setup.

All that said, I am currently receiving a pair of Damage Control pedals which may well make my whole dirt section obsolete.

Zztop128
Information

Post by Zztop128 »

Me too! This sure ain't a BMP! bits of it remind me of a schematic I saw for the Dano Fab metal but this is more complex. Interesting!
Indeed look at this video: http://www.guitarworld.com/article/elec ... metal_muff
I don't hear a lot of similarties with the famous BMPi anyway I think the MM is a great sounding pedal!!!(Its also a great site with a lot of reviews)

Meanderthal
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Meanderthal »

OK, I know I'm OT here, but I finally dug up the right allen wrench(PITA!) and opened that Digitech grunge.

Alas, as AG has said- it's SMD. :(

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I finally dug up the right allen wrench(PITA!) and opened that Digitech grunge.

Alas, as AG has said- it's SMD.
guts..... :twisted:

analogguru

mecmast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mecmast »

hi all. this is my first message i guess :) i was looking for the layouts and pcb of this pedal. should anybody help?