Astrotone - Fuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Greetings to you all;

Haven't seen this one around, also, there's not much information on the web. A friend got one used in really good shape, despite being such an old unit.

Anyway, my friend let me take a look inside, I traced it and made a layout, nobody has verified none of them, but I'm pretty sure both are allright.

I guess it's a silicon based fuzz, because I don't know the transistors and don't know the clipping diodes neither. The tone control is really weird.

It's a nice sounding effect, It might be a little brittle and thin on some amps; A strat plugged into it and then into a Blues Jr. amp sounded pretty good to me, nice subtle fuzz, gives a nice crunch when playing rythm.

Regarding the layout Transfer, I couldn't scale it properly, if I reduced its size, then the image would distort, so, sorry for that inconvenience.

Hope you like it.
Attachments
AstrotoneSchm.jpg
AstrotoneLyt.jpg
AstrotoneLyt.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 8409 times
AstrotoneTrns.jpg
AstrotoneTrns.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 8389 times

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Here are the unit's photographs
Attachments
DSC02600.jpg
DSC02600.jpg (83.13 KiB) Viewed 8387 times
DSC02608.jpg
DSC02608.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 8392 times
DSC02616.jpg
DSC02616.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 8377 times
DSC02617.jpg
DSC02617.jpg (76.05 KiB) Viewed 8371 times
DSC02623.jpg
DSC02623.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 8384 times
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

modman wrote:Wow, nice job!
Thanks for contributing!

modman
Thanks to you Modman, for such a great forum. :thumbsup
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Fuzzer wrote:Greetings to you all;

Haven't seen this one around, also, there's not much information on the web. A friend got one used in really good shape, despite being such an old unit.

Anyway, my friend let me take a look inside, I traced it and made a layout, nobody has verified none of them, but I'm pretty sure both are allright.

I guess it's a silicon based fuzz, because I don't know the transistors and don't know the clipping diodes neither. The tone control is really weird.

It's a nice sounding effect, It might be a little brittle and thin on some amps; A strat plugged into it and then into a Blues Jr. amp sounded pretty good to me, nice subtle fuzz, gives a nice crunch when playing rythm.

Regarding the layout Transfer, I couldn't scale it properly, if I reduced its size, then the image would distort, so, sorry for that inconvenience.

Hope you like it.
Thanks !

Notice any similarities ?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Oh, shit, :slap:

Well, at least my schem has colors on it. :mrgreen:

But, honestly, this seemed such a unique creature I thought it hadn't even been copied.

Morecowbell, I got my hands on an old (really old) Electro harmonix Fuzz-wah, and I also haven't found anything on it, is it worth tracing?, I don't know, maybe you or someone else around here already has it or a similar one. Thanks in advance.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Fuzzer wrote:Oh, shit, :slap:

Well, at least my schem has colors on it. :mrgreen:

But, honestly, this seemed such a unique creature I thought it hadn't even been copied.
We've all been there ! Still, it's important to have "confirmation" to the "rumour" that the two were the same pedals.
Morecowbell, I got my hands on an old (really old) Electro harmonix Fuzz-wah, and I also haven't found anything on it, is it worth tracing?, I don't know, maybe you or someone else around here already has it or a similar one. Thanks in advance.
Of course you KNOW I'm going to say "yeah it's worth it"...But...you may want to post a few pictures and see if AG, Dirk, JHS or one of the other guys has already reversed it.

Unless of course it;'s this one...

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Yes man, thank you very much, is pretty much the same, the wah part is identical.

There are some differences in the fuzz circuit though, according to my drawing, (I'll post the gutshots later anyway, it's always nice to see effects innards :D ), the input cap is .047u, and in the second feedback loop, the clipping diodes are shunted with a 470k resistor and a 0.1[nF] cap, maybe to tame the highs a little, I guess. Also, some of the 680k resistors are 1M in the one I had.

By the way, have you heard it in action?, the wah sounds great to me, really raw and angry, I like that, and the reverse mode is pretty interesting. It's a uncomfortable pedal though, you'll see when I post the pics in other thread.

Thanks again.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Fuzzer wrote:Yes man, thank you very much, is pretty much the same, the wah part is identical.

There are some differences in the fuzz circuit though, according to my drawing, (I'll post the gutshots later anyway, it's always nice to see effects innards :D ), the input cap is .047u, and in the second feedback loop, the clipping diodes are shunted with a 470k resistor and a 0.1[nF] cap, maybe to tame the highs a little, I guess. Also, some of the 680k resistors are 1M in the one I had.

By the way, have you heard it in action?, the wah sounds great to me, really raw and angry, I like that, and the reverse mode is pretty interesting. It's a uncomfortable pedal though, you'll see when I post the pics in other thread.

Thanks again.
The 470k that parallels the clipping diodes in the feedback loop is there to help keep the fuzz from "gating".

Value changes were VERY common for EH in those days :)

I'd LOVE to see pictures...though you should probably post them in a new thread.

Thanks man...sounds like you have some cool toys !

teleman
Information

Post by teleman »

That fuzz is one of the "Hen's Teeth" in the Analog Man(can I say that here?...) Book. As in "rare as hen's teeth." Thanks for sharing with us!

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Well, guess what, my friend was going to sell it to whom you call 'the king of solder Jockeys', and as far as I know, finally he didn't. Instead he soldt it in some kind of vintage gear shop, got $350 for it. Blatant Rip-off.

When I think of it as a guitar aficionado, it's a good deal, but, having second thoughts, he could've sold it for much, much more, taking in account that in the U.S. there are those vintage freaks who will pay anything just beacuse its old, and it looks good.

By the way teleman, do you have the book? Maybe you could scan that part, thanks in advance, and anyway, thanks for the info. Man, I should've taken a picture of me with that fuckin' box, smilin' big. :mrgreen:. Maybe that would turn me into some kind of demigod among vintage geeks.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hello Fuzzer
Great to see a noobie posting :D - great work with the artwork and schematics etc. Thanks for being part of our sharing community and welcome to Freestompboxes.org - the best DIY resource site on the planet. :wink:
Cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Hey Bajaman, thank you very much, just plannig to contribute every bit I can.

seniorLoco
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by seniorLoco »

that 100k at the clipping diode section is a actually a 100pf cap.... i just wrote the actual marking found on the cap :)

Cheers fellas
"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it saved the mice, who ate the cheese."

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Muff-Fuzz Part values and circuit layout can differ a bit (EH adapted values to the actual used IC ).
JHS

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

extremely hi res pics of the Sam Ash fuzz box here-

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0309076752

so clear you can smell it!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I think you can smell the price too.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

oh, shit. i didn't even look at the price! :shock:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Oh, they price is already reduced, was on Oct 05, 2008 at $ 3.400,--

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Man, if my friend, (the one that lent me the astrotone for tracing) sees this, and sees it get sold at this price, he's gonna kick his own balls, repeatedly. As far as I know, he sold it for 350 dollars... I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it, anyway, it had a cool sound, but nothing excellent.

I had written the price earlier in the thread.

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

ibodog2 wrote:
Fuzzer wrote:Well, guess what, my friend was going to sell it to whom you call 'the king of solder Jockeys', and as far as I know, finally he didn't. Instead he soldt it in some kind of vintage gear shop, got $350 for it. Blatant Rip-off.
Guess who's selling a clone of this one now... AstroTone fuzz

I've been selling them for years: http://www.ronsound.com/index.php?main_ ... b32e5b7193
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs