EHX - Big Muff Opamp 1977 veroboardlayout

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

so, i've done a layout for the Big Muff opamp version (1977)
here it is:
it's not yet verified, so if someone could take a look would be nice :icon_wink:
it's based on this schem: http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimage ... ff1977.pdf
Last edited by Gila_Crisis on 08 Oct 2007, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

i found a little mistake, so pay attention!!!!

R6 must go to foot 1 of the 4558, not to foot 2!!!! otherwise the rest is correct!

polarbearfx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by polarbearfx »

gila chris can you help me understand vero layouts.

are you just putting the wire from the components in the hole and soldering on the otherside?

are the red dots where i would need to sand out the track?

then I see the blue lines up top, is that suggesting that you would take a wire and make a jumper across that point, and solder on the otherside of where the lead goes in?

is this all that it takes to make a vero circuit work or is there more that I would have to do on the otherside?

I am new and learning and appreciate the help.

thanks

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

are you just putting the wire from the components in the hole and soldering on the otherside?
yes, on the drwing the whole is seen from the top
are the red dots where i would need to sand out the track?
yep, is where you have to cut the traces
then I see the blue lines up top, is that suggesting that you would take a wire and make a jumper across that point, and solder on the otherside of where the lead goes in?
yep, those are jumpers between the tracks
is this all that it takes to make a vero circuit work or is there more that I would have to do on the otherside?
yep, and a bit of luck of course, like every DIY
:applause:

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

the Layout you find here it's now BUILT and VERIFIED!

on the old one there were a pair of mistakes, that now i've correct.

foo zen trader
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by foo zen trader »

Hi!

I've just built the 77 ICBM with MarkM's Layout and it sounds really cool - but the higher notes (plain strings above 12th fret) make strange noises like if they were gated or something... is this normal? I've checked everything and found no error... Could this be the cheap electrolytics i've used? :scratch:
please please help me!!!

Yours,

Foo
JABBA DABBA DOOM

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

This is a nice layout Gila. Very well thought out, and, given the size of the circuit and the fact that its on vero, quite compact.

Nice job !

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

MoreCowbell wrote:This is a nice layout Gila. Very well thought out, and, given the size of the circuit and the fact that its on vero, quite compact.

Nice job !
thank you a lot!! yep this was my first vero layout i've ever done! and it is the best i ever made!
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 63' Fender Bandmaster
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

So I was browsing through here and although it's a old post it seemed like an easy build, thanks for the vero layout, keep'em coming.

My question is in regard to the orientation of the electrolytic capacitors on the diagram. It seems like there is very faint bar to one side, is this the negative foot? I'm assuming this coincides with white striped side of the electrolytic itself.

Thanks.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

nihoneiga wrote:So I was browsing through here and although it's a old post it seemed like an easy build, thanks for the vero layout, keep'em coming.

My question is in regard to the orientation of the electrolytic capacitors on the diagram. It seems like there is very faint bar to one side, is this the negative foot? I'm assuming this coincides with white striped side of the electrolytic itself.

Thanks.
You should put it next to the schematic... not just for electrolyte orientation. Soldering without schematic handy is a sin you will soon regret :wink: really not joking
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Maestro MFZ-1 (my favorite), 1977 Big Muff, Fuzz Factory, EA Tremolo, Super Hard-on, ROG Tubescreamer

Post by nihoneiga »

Good advice, thanks. It seems that the schematic link is dead which is understandable given the age of this post, would it be possible to get a repost. I tried fishing around on google but had no luck.

Cheers!

K

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nihoneiga »

I noticed a mistake in the Vero layout. According to the schematic, foot 4 of IC2 should be going to ground but instead it's going nowhere! :slap:

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Are you sure? Look again.

IC2 is inverted. Pin4 is connected to GND along with the volume ground lug...

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nihoneiga »

Oops, my mistake, I stupidly had the board turned around. My apologies.

:slap:

nihoneiga
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nihoneiga »

I've only heard a real Big Muff once but my build seems to have pretty weak high end. Is this the common trait of Big Muffs? The bottom end sound is fat and fuzz with miles of sustain but the top end just seems so thin like I almost need a high-end boost to get the full range out of the pedal. Any suggestions, place on the schematic where I could wire something in to get more top end?

Thanks,

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

foo zen trader wrote:Hi!

I've just built the 77 ICBM with MarkM's Layout and it sounds really cool - but the higher notes (plain strings above 12th fret) make strange noises like if they were gated or something... is this normal? I've checked everything and found no error... Could this be the cheap electrolytics i've used? :scratch:
please please help me!!!

Yours,

Foo
Did you ever get an answer to the high-end question?

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

should get pretty sharp sounding with the tone knob dialed up a lot? seems like big muffs are often all about "big bass" though. you might want to look into tweaking the tone stack, using a filter calculator or just substituting values to taste, maybe socket those parts in question, or get it going on a breadboard

pedalfreakFX
Information

Post by pedalfreakFX »

Has anyone added a Gain/Drive control to a Big muff? And possibly a bias control also? Would that essentially be a Cornish NG3?

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

what are you talking about? VOLUME, TONE, SUSTAIN (gain)

bias must be adjusted for each of the 4 transistors. yes you can dial it different ways by doing this and all the other usual tweaks.

you've got a lot of learning to do. good luck with it, it can be fun :P