Voodoo Lab - Micro Vibe  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
jrc4558
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jrc4558 »

Hi! I've picked this one up used, and it's an older, not status LED model. Sounds decent, and a good range of speeds available. Anyone saw a schematic for it, or should we try and trace?

Cheers!

swt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by swt »

i think it would be nice to trace it, as it has a bulb, and i think an ic lfo to drive it. maybe we can make a good cross of the original audio path with a more stable ic lfo taken from this one.

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

swt wrote:i think it would be nice to trace it, as it has a bulb, and i think an ic lfo to drive it. maybe we can make a good cross of the original audio path with a more stable ic lfo taken from this one.
this whole thing is all IC, its a phaser modified to sound like a univibe ( and it sounds exactly like that) doesn't have that signature warble and the sweep distorts like a phase 90

jrc4558
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jrc4558 »

Actually, the LFO is the same phase shift LFO as on the original UniVibe, maybe with some change in components and higher speeds due to lower operating voltage. It uses a dual potentiometer and, although I didn't trace it yet, looks like the original one. The phase shift stages are all IC, input buffer and mixer are IC too.
This is an older model, w/o the on-off LED. Maybe they changed the design for the newer issue...

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

yes, your absolutely right, I know. but what the ears interpret from this unit as opposed to the LDR based circuit are two completely different identities phase shifting. there was a good discussion about this in one of the univibe discussions..

puppiesonacid

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

just got one of this 2nd hand, want gut shots?

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

No need to ask if we want gut shots, we always want gut shots. Go for it!

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

i shouldn't have asked. haha

I'll take some shots and post it later. :D

one thing i noticed, no light box for the LDR for this one. and seems purely opamp based.

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

Interesting, so let us see the guts! :mrgreen:

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

here it is!
Attachments
DSC08359.JPG
DSC08358.JPG
DPDT switch
DPDT switch
DSC08354.JPG
DSC08347.JPG

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

and more...

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

qwixzh wrote:and more...
cant edit my post above....

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

qwixzh

jrc4558
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by jrc4558 »

Wow, this is sooo different.
I'll take some pictures of mine this week.

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

Probably there is no light shield because it is housed in a box where is dark.

tcobretti
Information

Post by tcobretti »

I've had a Microvibe for a coupla years now, and I love it. It's easily my favorite modulator, and does a better imitation of the Univibe than any pedal I have heard that wasn't an actual Univibe. Well worth buying (or building if you are feeling ambitious).

GuitarManiac32
Information
Completed builds: BSIAB2, Zen Drive, Geoffrey Teese Picture wah, Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, Octavia, A LOT OF FUZZ PEDALS, Neovibe, Barber Tone Press-alike, few guitar amps (Soldano SLO 100, Dumble ODS, Fender Super Reverb, Marshall JTM-45, Fender Champ)

Post by GuitarManiac32 »

I think Micro Vibe sounds really great and is really well priced and has a nice size for a pedalboard. I have never had a chance to play a real univibe so I don´t know how accurate "univibe sound" Micro Vibe has. For my ears it´s definitely close enough for Hendrix stuff. Only thing I´d like to try is making it a bit brighter. It´s quite dark sounding (maybe real univibe is too...?). I have it always between my wah and fuzz/od pedals. After od pedals it does sound brighter but otherwise the sound gets worse. Does anyone have a solution to make it a bit brighter, some cap value change or something? I´d like to have it switchable too...

pf_fan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pf_fan »

I saved this pic some time ago. PCB looks different...
Attachments
microvibe.jpg

stonew
Information

Post by stonew »

:horsey: :horsey: :horsey: :horsey: good

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Hi all,

Here's the schematic... Traced from the unit I got second hand as birthday present! :D What's nicer than sharing you birthday present?! :wink:

My unit matches the one that can be seen in this post from a separate threads with guts from the Micro Vibe(s).

It is pretty well built and feels more reliable and strong than its Dunlop alike (especially the ribbon wire for the pots board). It shares the H11F3 fet-optocoupler with the Dunlop. It's used here as a FET switch that keep the signal away from the effect input (in the Dunlop it's used for the Vintage/Modern switch that disable/enable the input buffer). It might be a trick to try if you want to use DPDTs...

The LFO's classic, and the opamp phase stages are fairly close to the Danelectro Chicken Salad.

The driver circuit trimmer is factory set at 250 ohms. There is no protection resistor so mind your tweaking if you turn it down to 0!
Voodoo Lab - Microvibe - schematic.gif
Enjoy!

10/04/11 : update : change C4 to 470n.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

Is there something wrong with viewing the schematic or is it just me, Happy b day to you Lolbou! :mrgreen:
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner