Way Huge - Aqua-Puss  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

Has anyone yet been able to verify to what extent the Aqua Puss is different from a DM-2 (without flipflop)?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

small but a gutshot still (thank mcb!)

http://archive.ampage.org/threads/0/fxg ... set-1.html
Last edited by modman on 02 Sep 2007, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

stomper
Information

Post by stomper »

Regrettably, I don't have any tech info. I did have an opportunity to hear one compared to the following;
Maxon Analog(the expensive one)
Boss DM2
Boss DD3
TubeEchoplex
EhDMM

The AquaPuss definitely had the closest cop of the echoplex. The Boss DM did not have the clarity of tone. Probably chalk it up to build quality.

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

It seems some claim the Aqua Puss was one of the BEST delays
ever known to mankind.
I'd love to have one!! 8)
Join together with the "Banned"!

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

stomper wrote:
The AquaPuss definitely had the closest cop of the echoplex.
Have you tried the Ibanez DE-7 yet?

8)

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

Is it me, or the gutshot has only a BBD, a clock driver IC and a quad opamp and NO compander (NE571)?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Hmm... I don´t know, I can recognize a BBD near the clock chip, 2 transistors, a 8 pin chip below the cables (dual Op-amp?) - and a 16 pin IC which can´t be a quad Op-Amp (which would have only 14 pins).

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

alessandro
Information

Post by alessandro »

HI GUYS!I THINK THAT EH MEMORY MAN DELUXE IS THE BEST ANALOG DELAY!I POSTED ALL THE SCHEMATIC PCB AND LAYOUT PLUS A MOD TO DOUBLE THE TIME TO MODMAN AND YOU CAN FIND IT INTO THE DIY EFFECTS PROJECTS :shock: !TRY IT!by KAPUTEPALLA!!!!!

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

alessandro wrote:HI GUYS!I THINK THAT EH MEMORY MAN DELUXE IS THE BEST ANALOG DELAY!I POSTED ALL THE SCHEMATIC PCB AND LAYOUT PLUS A MOD TO DOUBLE THE TIME TO MODMAN AND YOU CAN FIND IT INTO THE DIY EFFECTS PROJECTS :shock: !TRY IT!by KAPUTEPALLA!!!!!
Why are you shouting at us?

:lol:

alessandro
Information

Post by alessandro »

I'm not a bad guy, i'm not shouting!Nice to meet all you friend and to contribute to this forum!I posted the rm voodoovibe project pcb+layout+corrected schematics!Have fun!CIAO(shouted)!!!!!AHAHAH

vanessa
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by vanessa »

alessandro wrote:I'm not a bad guy, i'm not shouting!Nice to meet all you friend and to contribute to this forum!I posted the rm voodoovibe project pcb+layout+corrected schematics!Have fun!CIAO(shouted)!!!!!AHAHAH
Good to have you aboard Alessandro! Thank you for the project.

:D

stomper
Information

Post by stomper »

vanessa wrote:
stomper wrote:
The AquaPuss definitely had the closest cop of the echoplex.
Have you tried the Ibanez DE-7 yet?

8)
I haven't tried the Ibanez, but thanks for the heads up!

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

Anyone notice that metal can transistor hiding near one of the jacks? I was thinking of smoothing out BBD delay noise by using a germanium transistor, but it looks like he beat me to it. Also, the BBD chip seems to be a mn3x05 or mn3008/3208B (no surprise). The data sheets refer to the strange 8pins-package-big- enough-for-14-pins as 'larger 8pin dip'.

The 16-pin chip by itself could be a lm136/700, used for compansion, or extra filtering.

[edit: of course, estragon and alessandro are correct about the 16-pin being a compander chip. :oops: The DM-2 schem makes it pretty clear.]
Last edited by celadine on 05 Sep 2007, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

Anyone notice that metal can transistor hiding near one of the jacks?
Yeah, I did notice that. He changed the type of transistors several times however (as far as I can tell from the different pictures I have seen)...

I tried to retrace it on the basis of pictures and, as far as I can tell from the components, it has a lot in common with the DM-2. But the devil is in the detail ;-)

I'll see what other information I have on my other computer.

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

analogguru wrote:Hmm... I don´t know, I can recognize a BBD near the clock chip, 2 transistors, a 8 pin chip below the cables (dual Op-amp?) - and a 16 pin IC which can´t be a quad Op-Amp (which would have only 14 pins).

analogguru
You are right, AG. In the first image posted I couldn't see the opamp under the cables. The new set of gutshots make it pretty clear.

One thing that makes an interesting change in sound are the rectifier filter capacitors in the compander. Boss uses 220n (DM2, DM-3), Ibanez 470n (AD-100), and EH 1u. This changes the perceived attack on the delayed notes.

In particular, small caps like 220n produce a softer attack that is nice for reverb-like sounds. On the other end, 1u retains the natural pick attack of the strings.

Experimentation is recommended in this area.

Cheers.
Last edited by estragon on 05 Sep 2007, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

alessandro
Information

Post by alessandro »

The 16 pins chip 90% is the NE 570 or NE 571N (are the same) used in the most popular delay as expander comander and to reduce BBD noise!I'm very interested in this effect!Have you traced the pcb?CIAO!!!

markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

alessandro wrote:The 16 pins chip 90% is the NE 570 or NE 571N (are the same) used in the most popular delay as expander comander and to reduce BBD noise!I'm very interested in this effect!Have you traced the pcb?CIAO!!!
Me too!! :D
Join together with the "Banned"!

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

me three :lol: :lol:
bajaman

estragon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by estragon »

The new set of pictures correspond to at least two different units. One of the pictures show 220n capacitors near the 16-pin IC, presumably used for the rectifier filtering. This would lead to believe the Boss companding circuit is employed.

It is necessary to determine if the antialiasing pre and post filters use Boss values or are different, thus producing a different/better overal sonic characteristic.

Another question is, is the BBD an MN3005 fed from +9V or an MN3205 fed from a lower voltage?