How do I record a sound sample?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
f50jack
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC-15 TBX

Post by f50jack »

I wasn't sure where to post this. Hopefully this is the right area.

I was wondering what the best way to take sound samples of your pedals is without spending a ton of money. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JACK

cpm
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by cpm »

the same way as you would record your music!

some people go direct to a computer, or a pod or whatever similar device, others use mics and real amps. Either way it can sound great or totally crap...

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

For on the go recording I have a creative zen, has a little mono dictaphone on it (do I-Pods have this?) which I find quite useful if I just wanna record a riff i've thought of or just a quick sample of a pedal, it's pretty decent quality for something so small and as only an add on.

Other than that the EMU is quite popular for recording on computers, as is the POD.

A small desk & mic (see behringer) can be picked up very cheaply if you wanna have it always set up or something.

These are just low budget options or simple ideas... into a computer can be ok, theres several guitar to USB products available now, although I haven't tried any of them.

Grathan
Information

Post by Grathan »

Direct to the computer's mic jack would be the cheapest way. Build a little preamp pedal to boost the signal some. Use Microsoft's Sound recorder to capture the audio.