Univox - Superfuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

You could use an internal trimpot or an external pot - builder's choice. Its for tuning the octave up sound, dirty or clean.

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

ShortScaleMike wrote:Obviously we are looking at different schematics. My layout is accurate for the one I used.

There were multiple variations of this thing by various different companies.
Yo Mike

What schem where you working from? I haven't seen a schem or original unit (Univox or Shinei) without the 100K to ground at the end...

--Brad

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

I can't recall.

It's a simple fix obviously if you want to add it.

leftwing73
Information

Post by leftwing73 »

hey guys, been lurking for a while but here's my first post.

I just finished a Superfuzz clone intended for a small production batch. I went off the old Unicord schematic that's been floating around. Using 6 2SC828 transistors. It's been in the works for a while now but finally completed production serial #001. I finished it on thursday and it's already out the door to a customer. Here's a little photo story of the build.

This is the board, fabbed by John Lyons and layout designed by Gino at Pitch Black Electronics (http://www.pitchblackelectronics.com). Both of those guys are top-notch.

Here's the populated board. Notice the old-skool vertical trimpot like the orig Superfuzzes- added mojo points maybe?

Drilling the enclosure: a super-big 3x6x2 Hammond 1590PI. It needs to be big to adequately contain the evil.

Guts mock-up shot

External mock-up shot:

Size matters

Final assembly on my kitchen table. One of few build pics where I don't have a beer in there somewhere. For the record, this project was fueled by a number of fine hoppy beers, most notably Stone IPA, Dogfish Head 60-minute IPA, Lagunitas Maximus IPA and a little Red Hook ESB.

here she is: #001.

little decal run on the "9v DC"

I used Duplicolor paints, full-face decal, (the top and front/back are one big decal) and lots of beer. It sounds killer - same raw, ripping, Chainsaw of Satan tone as the original. Hope you guys like it - I'm pretty proud of it.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

really cool. :D

rush
Information

Post by rush »

I am fairly knew to building circuits. I just attempted to build a 70's univox superfuzz however cant seem to get it work. Does the voltage rating on the caps make a difference? I currently have 50V rating on all of the radial and film caps. I noticed on the schematic it has a 10uf cap 5V going to the ground and was wondering if this 5V was necessary. For transistors I used all 2N2222 and think this could possibly have caused an issue. I linked the schematic and PCB i tried to use below. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Schematic: http://www.univox.org/pics/schematics/superfuzz.gif
PCB:http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/s ... bdpys.html

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Voltage rating is not a huge deal in 9 volt circuits.

Did you pay attention to the pinout of your trannies? The 2N2222 is EBC and the 2SCXXX used in the SF were ECB.
Dick joke has expired.

rush
Information

Post by rush »

I checked all of the transistors (I used the PCB from uzzfay with its EBC layout) and the electrolytic cap polarities. I just also cleaned the board to remove any extra flux thinking maybe there was a microscopic bridge but no luck. For the wiring the 9V battery's black wire would be going the the shunt or the tip? Im not 100% sure on the wiring for the 1/4 mono instrument jack. The geranium diodes are working fyi.

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Wiring the jacks is pretty basic stuff found on most DIY sites. Here's a link to something from General Guitar Gadgets. Page 8 has jack info.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... struct.pdf
Dick joke has expired.

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

rush wrote:I checked all of the transistors (I used the PCB from uzzfay with its EBC layout) and the electrolytic cap polarities. I just also cleaned the board to remove any extra flux thinking maybe there was a microscopic bridge but no luck. For the wiring the 9V battery's black wire would be going the the shunt or the tip? Im not 100% sure on the wiring for the 1/4 mono instrument jack. The geranium diodes are working fyi.

The PCB from Uzzfay is for ECB transistors like Dan N says. You say in your post that you're using "the PCB from uzzfay with its EBC layout" that's not right so that's probably you're problem there. Either way the component layout specifies what transistor legs go where so as long as you know the pinout of the transistors you're using you should be able to put them in the right way.

--Brad

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: MOTS Magnatone & Trainwreck
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Dan N, Solidhex,
Nice of you to pull rush's coat. :wink:
Perhaps he's got it working now and too enthralled playing
it
to post
his
results.

NG.
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Tonebender Mk II w/ 3 OC75's, Burns BuzzAround w/NKT 275,Rangemaster w/ OC44, Fuzz Face w/ SKS363's, CJOD, Harmonic Percolator w/2N404A & 2N3635(vintage correct box,sliding pots, 1%glass resistors),Stack-O-Dimes & Whipple Wahs,

Post by noelgrassy »

Here's a nicely built FX to early 60s Superfuzz specs. Brad used all Matsushita 2SC828q xistors.
This one's called "Risin' Fuzz". Before he started getting 'em silkscreened to read,
"Harakiri Fuzz". I freakin' love the "unhinged" quality of this fuzz.
I hope you don't mind this brief hijack! :hug:
Attachments
thread hijack_live.jpg
thread hijack_live.jpg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 4098 times
Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed. US Copyright Office

stratoblaster
Information

Post by stratoblaster »

these superfuzzes look great but... what is it with the led? when its on you know it and the two different voices you can tell the difference by ear. and do any of you guys play guitar if so why the hand tone switch. I had my first superfuzz back in 1967-68 and within a month had ditched the hand switch and drilled and placed a second foot switch just left of the in/out switch. I stopped building stuff back in the late 1970's except for repairs. Ive had a lot of peddles but I always come back to my superfuzzes. I do not think they are nasty. they can be as smooth or raw as you like. I tamed mine way back in the 1960's. They do what I want them to do. They are noisy when on and not playing but that's rock & roll. the reaction between the guitar, device, amp speakers, your fingers and a pick or no pick there is the joy. Not some digital recreation. So if you are building them put that second foot switch on there ditch the led. final thought there always seems to me a bit of hum from peddles that ave transformers to use ac instead of batteries.

noelgrassy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by noelgrassy »

stratoblaster,
While it's true that whether or not your pedal's engaged is apparent in most instances, it seems
to be de riguer to add the requisite LED. I applaud your creativity in making the tone switch foot
activated. Do you use the Blue/Orange or the Grey/Black styled Superfuzz?
I'll need to spend more
time with mine to find something approaching "smooth". :wink:

Kregg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Kregg »

stratoblaster wrote:these superfuzzes look great but... what is it with the led?
I remember the old days when my brother used a Fuzz, Wah, and tuned his guitar as he played. It's great to watch Hendrix concert footage, the second he hits the fuzz it starts squawking.

These days ... guys might have a few different fuzz's on their high pedal count boards, so, they probably need to see which one is squealing.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

stratoblaster wrote:these superfuzzes look great but... what is it with the led? when its on you know it and the two different voices you can tell the difference by ear.
Laddie,
I know. But in 2009 the show might be a little more tight in organization. Thus, I'd like to know wether my pedal is on (wah's included) before I hit my first note. ;)

After that,
indeed, many have multiple fuzzes, tailored to sound, on their board. Exactly for that reason my personal question:
Why, really why, with all great looks, clean soldering and neat board layouts, use those huge boxes for such simple circuits!? It's so easy trimming the size down!.. and keep that board size down a little too. Your bandmembers will thank you for that, your back too.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

Reggiechacha
Information

Post by Reggiechacha »

I'm currently building mike's layout. I'm struggling with wiring on the tone switch. Apart from the obvious on the actual layout diagram I can't work out the rest of the wiring on the switch. I'm assuming the switch is linked to the tone LED but I'm not sure how. Can anyone help?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

It´s very easy if you look at the schematic, not only the layout...
And what is a "tone LED"??? :hmmm:

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Reggiechacha wrote:I'm currently building mike's layout. I'm struggling with wiring on the tone switch. Apart from the obvious on the actual layout diagram I can't work out the rest of the wiring on the switch. I'm assuming the switch is linked to the tone LED but I'm not sure how. Can anyone help?
Underneath the title of Mikes layout the wiring details for the offboard components are there. You use a spdt switch (three lugs) for the tone. The two outside lugs are connected to the tone outputs. The middle lug is connected to lug 3 of the balance control which is wired as a voltage divider. Lug 2 is connected to the "balance 2" input on the board. Lug one is connected to ground.
Not quite sure by what you mean by "tone led" either...

--Brad

Reggiechacha
Information

Post by Reggiechacha »

Thanks for your advice Brad. I should have been clear in that i'm using 6 lug DPDT stomp switch for tone as in Mike's pics. I'm guessing that the LEDs used to indicate which of the 2 tones is selected in his pedal and in Graemey's excellent example on Youtube are connected to this switch but i'm not sure how. I've never bothered with LEDs in any pedal builds before but am keen to learn for this project.