Analog Spring Reverb Box

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
BFFchili
Information

Post by BFFchili »

I'm new to this forum and relatively unexperienced in stompbox design, so please let me know the magnitude of my naivety if I'm doing something wrong.

I basically was wanting to know if the following design would work for creating a somewhat functional spring reverb unit.

I was planning on taking the dry signal and running it through this preamp circuit to drive the reverb tank. I wanted to partially bypass R2 with an Electrolytic Cap with a Pot between the cap and GND.
http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/index.html

I was then going to run the signal through a passive high-pass filter with an adjustable cutoff frequency.

The signal would ideally be driving this MOD spring reverb tank (chosen for low input impedance):
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-RMOD-8BB2A1B

The pickup circuit would start with another of the "Discrete JFET Pre-Amp" circuits followed by this active EQ circuit:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/tonemender.html

jubal81
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jubal81 »

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi *BFFchili* Oh goody, a spring reverb unit.
Without help you may reach *somewhat functional* but you will then go bananas trying to get all the worms out of the circuits you mention.
Hey *jubal81* Good find, I have not seen that one. sounds good but might be hard to take on for a first build.

@ *BFFchili*
As you are starting out then know this before you start;
The drive is the key part which has to be strong at the right frequencies.
You need to wipe off a lot of bass right at the drive input otherwise it will crap out.
Having tested many reverb circuits, (I'm talking in years) few actually work well and some likely never even tested. :evil:

Rather than my sad and sorry story you likely need help in understanding how these things work and the place to start is Here;

http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

Rod Elliot helped me out years ago when I was living out a nightmare story.
A very experienced teck with mountains of useful info. Rod's reverb circuit worked straight up first go. So hence I've used his basic concept in reverbs I've built.
My only complaint was not enough drive. Figure 4 on ESP page has the power booster which you will need for convincing drip reverb that Surfybear mentions.
(I have a hunch Rods added the booster partly due to my constant complainting about lack of drive.) :mrgreen:

The kit *jubal81* linked to looks like it will work but keep in mind you still have to add case and power supply and you still don't know how well it works. With novice skill Fet matching may not be something you would wish to take on. I do find it rather disturbing when something requires a special fet matching Arduino setup to deliver the mojo.
But hey who knows I've not heard of surfybear reverb,,it might be the best reverb but there are easier ways, or shall I say simpler circuits that maybe ideal.

I've simplified it even further with my *Tverb* circuit which I'll post here for those looking for ideas.
As it's short tank you don't get as much as much boy-yoying or drip but as I don't need perfect surf this is still very wet and has no bad resonance like some verbs impart at full depth.
With a long tank it will definitely do Dripping wet trick.
Have fun, Phil.
PhAbb TVerb small tank
PhAbb TVerb small tank
Attachments
Yes I built this and it works :)<br />PhAbb T Verb
Yes I built this and it works :)
PhAbb T Verb

jubal81
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jubal81 »

Good point, phatt. It was kind of a pain getting it to bias correctly and I wish I'd socketed those resistors from the start. I can confirm it sounds amazing when it's set up correctly. One of the attractive things about it to be was that it doesn't require a transformer since I was trying to save space. I also paired it with a Cardinal Tremolo in parallel.

[youtube][youtube][/youtube][/youtube]

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi *jubal81*,
Thanks for that,, very good effort.
Works well and compact due to the short tank.
I've found you don't get the slap back or drip after each attack as much with short tank.

What I found in my long exploration of reverb circuits
A lot of Amps with built-in Rev have the long tank some even having 3 rows of springs but without a good drive signal they are rather lacking. :(
Obviously Surfybear has the drive sorted out due to the booster drivers and you need it for classic reverb.
A lot of effort went into that concept but I'd be worried about the fets as it seems they are becoming rare to find.

Roland space echo (which I once owned) has a dedicated drive chip which comes close to the drip but not quite there.
I could not make out if it was due to the driver or the rather odd Z spring layout of the actual tank.

My Maxiverb was the first successful unit I made and one chap was so impressed by it that he pestered me for weeks with offers. I finally caved in and sold it. :lol:
That had the long tank and was capable of insane slapback. :horsey:
The Maxiverb circuit is buried here somewhere.
Sadly i don't have any sound clips for it now, due to a dead drive :(
Not as pretty as Your unit but worked better than most others.
Phil.
Attachments
PhAbb Maxiverb
PhAbb Maxiverb

thesmokingman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thesmokingman »

my suggestion is to buy their product with the jfets already soldered in(smd), its lazy but I don't have the stock of jfets around to match up and it saves me a bunch of time.