One Control - Honey Bee

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.

One Control - Honey Bee

Postby daeg » 19 Nov 2018, 04:53

I know someone out there has been waiting for this one. :o

This is essentially Bjorn's Honeybee v5, with a switch to emulate the v1 Honeybee. It sounds fantastic. The quality of construction is absolutely superb, and the Gold / Amber Metallic enclosure is really stunning. A total joy to play. When comparing side-by-side to the Aion Electronics Procyon and the Honey Beest, I find the tone to be a little bit more crisp which I like, and the knee into the clipping range to be harder -- it is brighter and clips less smooth, but is more satisfying to play.

A few notes:
-- The 'Vintage' mode simultaneously removes the Treble boost from the JFET Output stage by disconnecting one-side of the 'Nature Control'., and lowers the fixed Capacitance in the Opamp Gain-Loop to 110n. This moves the corner frequency that gets max gain up. The overall result is less Treble and less lower-Mids.
-- The Output / JFET Gain Stage is biased unusually. This version adds a 1M Resistor (R15) to V+ which lifts the Gate Voltage to 0.4V. It then replaces the usual 5.6k Drain Resistor with a 50k Multi-turn Trimmer. I would not recommend using this method, and would absolutely caution against a 50k Trimmer if you don't use a Multi-turn. The range of operation is very narrow and I don't know why they did it this way. My unit was tuned somewhere between 6.5k and 7.2k.
-- The Volume control stage has some interesting things going on. It appears to be trying to balance a 'Treble-Bleed' with a 'Treble-Rolloff'; seeking consistent Treble across the sweep of the Volume control. This is new to the v5 Honeybee as far as I'm aware. Maybe someone else can comment on this.
-- I cannot identify the SMD Diodes or Opamp. There is no reason to assume this anything different than a CA3130ez and 1n400x Diodes.
-- The Opamp Diodes are Red LED's just like the v2 and onwards, just SMD this time around. They lit up bright from whatever small voltage my DMM put out when testing resistance.
-- The Capacitors were all double-checked with a Capacitance Meter. You can rest assured they are correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author daeg has received thanks: 9
dv8r601 (19 Nov 2018, 23:32), fuzzbunny (20 Nov 2018, 04:08), graeme (19 Nov 2018, 07:39), Intripped (19 Nov 2018, 15:25), Manfred (19 Nov 2018, 06:40), roseblood11 (20 Nov 2018, 14:23), sixthfloor (20 Nov 2018, 10:51), storyboardist (19 Nov 2018, 17:06), Zokk (19 Nov 2018, 09:51)
daeg
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 04:56
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby daeg » 19 Nov 2018, 04:57

daeg
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 04:56
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby fuzzbunny » 20 Nov 2018, 04:11

Very cool!
Thanks for your great work and sharing the results!
fuzzbunny
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 19:12
Has thanked: 9 times
Have thanks: 10 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby HamishR » 27 Nov 2018, 05:04

Am I right if I assume that the 100n across pins 1 and 8 of the IC is actually 100pF? Would you suggest I try a smaller trimmer - say 10-20K?

I posted a vero layout at Guitar FX Layouts but i haven't built it yet.
HamishR
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 31 May 2016, 15:51
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 9 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby daeg » 29 Nov 2018, 22:25

HamishR wrote:Am I right if I assume that the 100n across pins 1 and 8 of the IC is actually 100pF? Would you suggest I try a smaller trimmer - say 10-20K?


Yeah my mistake on unit. The compensation cap is 100pF.

I definitely think a 10k Trimmer would be the way to go. Most 'Honey' pedals use a 5.6k resistor, and in this case, with the Gate lifted 0.5V, the measured resistance was 7-8k.
The best solution is probably a 10k Trimmer in series with a 2.2k-4.7k Resistor.
daeg
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 04:56
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby daeg » 29 Nov 2018, 22:37

I may breadboard this in the near future. One thing I am curious about is whether the CA3130 actually contributes anything in this circuit.

In the Rat, the Opamp is actually clipping, so the poor slew-rate rounds out the otherwise hard clipping knee, and lowers the presence of higher-order harmonics (scuzz).

In the Honeybee, the Opamp swing is limited by Diodes (the Red LED's) and the Voltage swing won't even approach the Opamps headroom.
Also, is that compensation cap across pin-1 and pin-8 doing anything that it wouldn't do in the Feedback Loop (pin-2 and pin-6)?

What I'm getting at, is I'd really prefer to build this using a standard TL072, with a 100pF cap across the Inverting Input and Output instead of the obscure CA3130EZ.
daeg
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 04:56
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby HamishR » 30 Nov 2018, 12:38

Using your schematic I have drawn up a tagboard (posted at Guitar FX Layouts). I made a few changes - the 100pF compensation cap being one. The 22uF cap to Nature 2 should be 2u2 I am 95% certain - it sure sounds right. The 360K resistor to Vref should go between the 47n (C6) and the 15K (R11), not to pin 3 of the IC. I used a 47K resistor where you have 147K (R6) - is that a typo? Lastly, I just removed the 1M resistor (R15) on the trimmer - the Jfet simply wouldn't work properly with it there. Removing that 1M altogether lets the pedal work perfectly and makes more sense. I used a 20K trimmer and the sweet spot is easy to find by ear.

With those changes the pedal works and sounds amazingly good. :-) Both settings of the switch are very usable and quite different from each other. So thanks for your efforts because i really like this pedal.
HamishR
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 31 May 2016, 15:51
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 9 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby daeg » 07 Dec 2018, 07:24

HamishR wrote:The 22uF cap to Nature 2 should be 2u2 I am 95% certain - it sure sounds right.

I'm sure it's 22uF. I'll take a pic to confirm. Even at 2.2uF it's probably letting almost all Lows through, so maybe there isn't any practical difference.

HamishR wrote:The 360K resistor to Vref should go between the 47n (C6) and the 15K (R11), not to pin 3 of the IC.

I'll check on that. I might have made a mistake. There not going to be any practical difference though other than a tiny loss of Input Impedance your way.

HamishR wrote:I used a 47K resistor where you have 147K (R6) - is that a typo?

No. I believe this was a mistake was made in the early Honey Bee traces. I found a 147k in both the One Control Honey Bee and the Bearfoot Honey Beest.
I built an Aion effects Procyon with a 47k and I found it to be too dark.

HamishR wrote:Lastly, I just removed the 1M resistor (R15) on the trimmer - the Jfet simply wouldn't work properly with it there. Removing that 1M altogether lets the pedal work perfectly and makes more sense. I used a 20K trimmer and the sweet spot is easy to find by ear.


Great man. When I adjusted the trimmer to measure the full resistance, I had a hell of a time getting it to bias back. Even with a multi-turn trimpot it was challenging to get the JFET to pass signal. Why would anyone would design it this way.
I was panning on doing the same with a 4.7k Resistor in-series with a 10k trimpot. I'll probably end up going with a 20k to keep it simple just like you.

HamishR wrote:With those changes the pedal works and sounds amazingly good. :-) Both settings of the switch are very usable and quite different from each other. So thanks for your efforts because i really like this pedal.


I'm so happy that someone out there actually tested it out and built it. I've had a string a bad-luck with perf-board and will probably wait for someone to make a PCB.
daeg
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 04:56
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 13 times

Re: One Control - Honey Bee

Postby HamishR » 08 Dec 2018, 17:41

Well I'm a little reluctant to change anything in my HB now but I might replace the 47K with a 150K if you say it should be 147K! Bjorn has used both values there in other circuits. I doubt it will make a huge difference. This is my favourite Honey Bee for sure, and maybe it's because I used a 2u2 rather than 22u at the Nature pot. :-) I'm not going to change that because it sounds spot-on for me.

This is what I love about building my own. I can take all the bits I like and change the bits I don't. Fab.
HamishR
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 31 May 2016, 15:51
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 9 times


Return to Boutique Stompboxes dissected...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests