Amazonbasics - Overdrive

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Agent86
Information

Post by Agent86 »

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Agent86 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 16:06 may be not noticed in pedals.
People can hardly notice 10% harmonic distortion in a full-bandwidth signal. You need careful test conditions to even measure 0.01%, let alone notice it in a guitar signal.
Can this be the next analog mojo fad? Will the next generation have plugins that brag about modelling the "subtle warm distortion of SMD resistors"? :lol:
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Ben N
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

Frank_NH wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 15:45Of course, if a pedal costs $25, then there really is no resale market if you decide to get rid of it. So I suspect that when these units start to fail due to flimsy construction and cheap parts, they will end up in local landfills.
No! Don't throw that enclosure out! It's perfect for a one transistor point-2-point booster!

luix
Information

Post by luix »

Agent86 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 16:06 http://www.waynekirkwood.com/images/pdf ... nesong.pdf

may be not noticed in pedals.
This document is very interesting, I'd like to see what happens with carbon comp resistors, their value change just bending the pins!

For a single stage 0.014% THD is really low but with, for example, 4 stage like a big muff, I think that the contribution can be heard.

Personally I can hear the difference of carbon comp VS metal film in the collector resistors of a big muff, I use Kamaya CC 1/4W in this position.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Now you done and made me measure how much distortion a Big Muff usually adds. It's about 16% at min sustain and 40% at max. Are you telling us you can hear 0.05% among all that? What is your test methodology?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

FiveseveN wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 21:58 What is your test methodology?
double-blind faith
Steven_M wrote: 21 Jan 2011, 17:52
biffa wrote: Sorry,but u r not the only member here

I'm not? Well fuck this site then. I only want meaningful conversations with myself.

bmxguitarsbmx
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Thick film SMD resistors are crazy noisy. Try a thin film from Susumu. Sorry I don't have a part number, you may have to look at datasheets. I measured 31dB more noise from a tube screamer built with thick film resistors verses one built with Susumu thin film. And through-hole metal films should be even quieter than that! The noise from thick film is mostly flicker noise, which does sound pretty awesome to run through filters etc.

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

31 db?? it's a huge amount of noise, it's almost a light rain type of level, are you sure of the measurement?