Boss - SD-1 Super Overdrive  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
GuineaFowl
Information

Post by GuineaFowl »

Hi all, I'm a newbie to electronics and to the board. I have only built a Ruby amp and a Fuzz Factory so far using info on here and other websites but would like to give back to the community what I can so far.

The more experienced among you are probably wondering why I am bothering to post about the Boss SD-1 since it is essentially just a Tube Screamer which is a very well known and researched circuit. Well, I did this because I enjoyed it mainly. Another reason is I've seen a few requests for information about true bypass on boss pedals and this will get you there. Lastly I build on veroboard and existing layouts which specifically cater for the SD-1 are PCB based. Such as the PCB for the tube screamer hosted at tonepad which can also be used to build an SD-1 but which doesn't provide a bill of materials for the SD-1.

I referenced the official boss schematic found at http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s ... rdrive.php, R.G.Keen's technology of the tube screamer article, a copy of Torchy's TS-808 veroboard layout and the tonepad tubescreamer schematic mentioned previously for this. I also dug through Brett Miller and Muhammad Iqbal's document on the Boss DS-1 Distortion to see what they recommended as alternative transistors since the 2SC732 transistors are common to both the SD-1 and DS-1 and are difficult for me to find. They also have pinouts that don't fit easily onto the Torchy layout I was using as a base.

Here is my vero layout for the Boss SD-1 minus the soft switching. Hopefully this is helpful to someone. I'm busy now until next week so won't have time to build and verify right away. Also have a couple of questions which probably means this layout can't be trusted until I get them answered. When they say the value of a capacitor is 1/50uf on the schematic what exactly do they mean? This is not something I've encountered before. I'm also not 100% sure that I have bridged the output from the tone/level stage to the output buffer correctly and would appreciate someone just checking up on that for me, though I'm happy enough to just go ahead and test that out myself. For ease of reference against the boss schematic and for applying future mods all my parts are labelled the same as they are on the boss schematic and I guess silkscreen labels should match up on actual SD-1 PCB's too.
Boss SD-1.gif
Have a great evening!
Attachments
Boss - SD-1 Super Overdrive board layout
Boss - SD-1 Super Overdrive board layout
sd1-components.gif (24.81 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Boss - SD-1 Super Overdrive schematic
Boss - SD-1 Super Overdrive schematic

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

The 1/50 = 1uF / 50v
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Their usually NP too in Boss pedals if I remember right.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

GuineaFowl
Information

Post by GuineaFowl »

Thanks for that, phibes! In this particular pedal, at leats in stock form, the gut shots I've found on the internet show the capacitors in question are electrolytic and polarised. I can distinctly make out the minus/negative signs on them. They are not NP. The schematic I referenced in my OP seems to back this up as it shows a + and - sign either side of each the capacitors.

GuineaFowl
Information

Post by GuineaFowl »

Revised schematic given phibes' input
Boss SD-1 Rev 1.gif

flow
Information

Post by flow »

Does anyone have one? I was looking for the "Torchy" layout but can't find it anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated.

Max Cohen
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Ikea Dining Table

Post by Max Cohen »

There is an TS808/9 stripboard layout on my website. It can be easily adopted to SD-1 spec
Welcome to freestompboxes.org
We can help... But we won't ;-)

Turretboard.org now with forum
TB.org on Facebook

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/us ... 4/SD-1.gif

this is a version without output buffer. When I built this, I shrinked it to 21 columns, but unfortunately I didn't keep the file...

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

this one is better:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2012 ... tween.html

btw: I typed "boss sd-1 vero" in the google picture search and this was the first result... :roll:

flow
Information

Post by flow »

Thanks a lot for the help!
roseblood11 wrote:this one is better:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.de/2012 ... tween.html

btw: I typed "boss sd-1 vero" in the google picture search and this was the first result... :roll:
Yup, found that, but it wouldn't look neat if I placed the clipping diodes on the board (IMO). That's why I was looking for another option.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Try this one:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi Mark, thanks for the layout. Your vero says 6 links, but i only count 5 ?
I looked at your site but only found the layout without the output buffer.
Best regards:
Glenn
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Yes mate it's a cock up based on the TS808 layout I used to start the SD1 layout from! :mrgreen:
I'll correct it in the morning when I'm sober Image

This is a layout I haven't posted yet, I have it in draught form on the blog along with a few more which I'll be posting in January. I want to keep the posts at 300 for this year! :D
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

Cheers, Mark. I am about to "plow some froth" tonight.
[smilie=a_party.gif]

I look forward to this new layout of yours.
Is 300 more or less than you did in 2012?
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I only did 16 in 2011, 300 in 2012 (well not really because it includes notifications and other things, but very close to 300 anyway), and I think that will be the record. Although there are plenty of things to still do, I don't have hundreds of popular schematics to go at like I did earlier this year. Miro is doing some great layouts too and between us we have quite a few to give us a kick start for the new year and we'll obviously keep up with new pedals as and when they are traced, so I'm sure they'll still be plenty there and on here to keep people busy even if they aren't churned out as frequently as they were in February for instance.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I'm not too drunk really so I've updated it, the above layout is now correct

jamme61
Information

Post by jamme61 »

just bought a used sd1 and its tone control doesn't work. i think the previous owner tried a od1 conversion but it sounds bad. my question is how to wire the tone control back specifically # 8 & 5 wires that come off the top of the circuit board? I attached those back to the tone pot but it dosent seem to work know. any help on this would be great thanks

box
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by box »

Hi,
Please check this link:
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/s ... rdrive.php
Rgds,
box

jamme61
Information

Post by jamme61 »