MXR - Fullbore Metal [guts]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

I suppose the Fullbore shares a lot in common with the Metal Zone as well as the Zoom TM01 Tri Metal, especially the tone section. The architecture behing these pedals shall be very very similar.
I tried once to contact MXR telling them I had a unit here for repair and asked if it was possbile to have a schematic for reference, but their reply was negative.
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

camljenkins94
Information
my favorite amplifier: My Custom 18-Watt Marshall Bass Amp
Completed builds: Fuzz Face Diy Clone
Boss DS1 gain mod

Post by camljenkins94 »

I find it remarkable that despite how many people claim to hate the Metal Zone, there are so many pedals out there that are very similar to it. Off the top of my head, I can think of these:

EHX Metal Muff (identical to a Metal Zone except for having a locked-out mid frequency and a practically useless top-boost circuit)
DOD FX-69 Grunge (basically the same as a Metal Zone except with no mid controls and slightly different tone frequencies)
Behringer UM-300 (carbon copy of a Metal Zone)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 (Metal Zone with tight/loose voicings)

Given that the Metal Zone circuit is commonly tweaked and sold under different names, I think it's likely that the Fullbore Metal is a slightly modified Metal Zone that has a noise gate tacked onto it.