Strymon - El Capistan

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the DSP section.... just got this bugger in today, and it's friggin' awesome. Only played through it for about an hour or so, and of course couldn't wait to bust it open and get the obligatory gut shot..... not sure how much good it will do as a DIY project, but interesting nonetheless. A little pricey, but a great sounding pedal.
DSC01709.JPG
DSC01707.JPG
DSC01708.JPG

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Nice. Forget goop, that's the best way to stop people cloning your product!
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

that looks like it's worth the extra priceyness.. and the demos sounded great...

course it's totally without mojo.. it's got no wires at all, let alone military spec ones :wink:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

rocklander wrote:course it's totally without mojo.. it's got no wires at all, let alone military spec ones :wink:
I agree, it looks cold and sterile inside, but it certainly has the mojo in the sound, and that's what counts!
Built in spring reverb, tape bias, tape crinkle, contour, boost/cut..... you really need a footswitch to be able to store multiple presets on this thing.

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

I find cold and sterile sexy. :scratch:
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

Played this... Its awesome!
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I Like the "non cable" concept... neatest thing ever!

oldgravity
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oldgravity »

Jack Deville wrote:I find cold and sterile sexy. :scratch:
I agree... this is the kind of gut shot that turns me on. :) I would so much prefer this to carbon comps, vintage electros, and perf board.

I'm working towards this level of goodness with my own builds, but I keep the stomp and jacks off board for reliability reasons. I don't so much like the exteriors - I'm really bored with pedal lines where it's just the same box in a bunch of different solid colors. But this is clearly great PCB work - getting everything to fit just right in 3 dimensions, not just 2, is a slick feat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

yeah, not sure if y'all realised I was joking... I genuinely would take my hat off to this build if I was wearing a hat... it's muchos awesome.

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Had some more time to play through this today.... I can't say enough good things about it! If you've got some spare coin and are looking for a great "tape" style delay with a bunch of cool features, do yourself a favor and pick one up (marketing rant over).

oldgravity
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oldgravity »

rocklander wrote:yeah, not sure if y'all realised I was joking... I genuinely would take my hat off to this build if I was wearing a hat... it's muchos awesome.
I did, just continuing the conversation. Although you were joking, there are plenty of people who sincerely feel that way. In fact, I'd wager that the majority of people who care at all what the insides of a pedal look like would prefer something from that guy who builds everything with vintage parts on perf for $500, over this lovely piece of innards. Even most DIYers have an aversion to this build style. But hey, I like short brunettes instead of tall blondes, so whaddaya gonna do? Variety is good.

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

oldgravity wrote:But hey, I like short brunettes instead of tall blondes.
Amen. Short brunettes usually have way better backsides too! :applause:
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

awh no hope of a diy then. :cry:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

DeanM wrote:awh no hope of a diy then. :cry:
you want to DIY a short brunette?... I gotta say, I'm of the wanting to DIY a leggy blonde side of things, but to each their own

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Oh yeah, some nice looking tech there. Rip off the knobs, we need more pics! :wink:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

A pair of videos that I have found in YouTube:

http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

vhollund
Information

Post by vhollund »

Hello
I have this one and despite it's really nice features the buffer seems to mess with the analog /dry path.
Would it be possible to deactivate the dry path buffer (without destrying the pedal completely) ?
Vaughn Hollund

JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

you can turn it off

bobo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bobo »

Strymon ---> Previous Brand "Damage Control" under Peavey -----> Service, Spare Part :cry:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

after finally watching the videos for this thing, I have to say it looks amazing. this is everything I could want in a delay. too bad if it really does have shitty buffers, because I would probably just keep this thing on a lot for the ultimate slapback tape echo and spring reverb. if you weren't keeping it on all the time, I guess you could always use a TB looper if it was really that bad. now, I just wish I had a spare 300$, and wasn't up to the gills in bills!

oh yeah, I got a kick out of the name the first time I heard it!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO