EHX - Micro Synth XO Version  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
beavis
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by beavis »

beavisaudio.com

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

i tryed one, once i went to jam with another guitarrist who had it. well it sounds cool like the original
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Thanks for the pics! The use of the LM13700 really makes for a smaller size. I'll have to pick up one of these soon.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Looks cool.... I think that some people in little chinatown could have had a lot of work with it.

Note the Piher-Trimmer-clone: Made in Taiwan.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Hmmmm, now the guitar and bass version differs on 6 points from each other
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Bernardduur wrote:Hmmmm, now the guitar and bass version differs on 6 points from each other
I sent an email to EHX a while ago asking what are differences between the guitar and the bass version and they told me that if I play guitar and bass I can use just the bass version.

According to EHX, the bass version can track guitar but the guitar version cannot track guitar. Moreover, some guitar players prefer the bass version because of the deeper sound. Apart from these two point, there are not noticeable functional differences.
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

drfrankq
Information

Post by drfrankq »

did they take off the gate found in the previous reissue? liked it alot but not the gate

I picked up a vintage one that sounds great with not gate, but seems to be a noticeable AC hum with fuzz after it, could be why they added the gate, what do you guys think? Anyone try to get rid of the hum? Thanks!

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

Silent Fly wrote:
Bernardduur wrote:Hmmmm, now the guitar and bass version differs on 6 points from each other
I sent an email to EHX a while ago asking what are differences between the guitar and the bass version and they told me that if I play guitar and bass I can use just the bass version.

According to EHX, the bass version can track guitar but the guitar version cannot track guitar. Moreover, some guitar players prefer the bass version because of the deeper sound. Apart from these two point, there are not noticeable functional differences.
I dunno; the tracking of the guitar on the bass version was OK but not complete. And the trigger function worked different for the guitar (I couldn't get some to trigger the bass function). When playing bass over the guitar version the tracking ends on the B on the A string. It'll track but there is a serious lag between note played and note heard; a lag of about 3 seconds :)
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Bernardduur wrote:I dunno; the tracking of the guitar on the bass version was OK but not complete. And the trigger function worked different for the guitar (I couldn't get some to trigger the bass function). When playing bass over the guitar version the tracking ends on the B on the A string. It'll track but there is a serious lag between note played and note heard; a lag of about 3 seconds :)
What do you mean by "the tracking of the guitar on the bass version was OK but not complete"?

The higher (pitch-wise) notes of the guitar were not tracked?
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by Bernardduur »

Silent Fly wrote:
Bernardduur wrote:I dunno; the tracking of the guitar on the bass version was OK but not complete. And the trigger function worked different for the guitar (I couldn't get some to trigger the bass function). When playing bass over the guitar version the tracking ends on the B on the A string. It'll track but there is a serious lag between note played and note heard; a lag of about 3 seconds :)
What do you mean by "the tracking of the guitar on the bass version was OK but not complete"?

The higher (pitch-wise) notes of the guitar were not tracked?
Whahaha, I sometimes write weird things I guess

And that was exactly what I meant. I had no lag but the tracking was way off! That is why I added a switch to mine to switch between the 2 versions.

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Great pictures ! One can almost trace it ;-)

Unfortunately, there's still no expression pedal option :(
I like the small "prototype area" next to the input jack : meant to be modded ?

If you're buying one, I'd suggest to get the bass version, as 5 out of the 6 resistor values that differ are higher on the bass version : you could then dip-switch some parallel resistors to get the guitar version as well.
I only give negative feedback.

nothingmaker
Information

Post by nothingmaker »

Hi, I’ve bought a new Micro Synth XO series.

I notice the problem of sustain loss, that was not in the vintage version.
When I play a note, after 3-4 seconds, the effect goes down with no sustain. With each voice there is the problem, after that time the effect disappears, and the volume goes down.

There is a way to mod the pedal? Or insert a squelch regulation?
I'd like to reach the sustain of the old version.

Thank you so much

Sweetalk
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sweetalk »

Did you adjusted the gain trimpot?. I had both, XO and the old version, the old is simply better but is big as hell!!.

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

HI!!!!! everyone, i have a piece of the Micro Synth XO Version Schematic that i draw seeing a pictures on other topic on this forum, but now I have some problems with some stages (Sub-Octave that it's diferent, Attack Delay Stage) that i can't see on the pictures and MAYBE someone who have this pedal could help me :D , completing this schematic then when I'll have free days on december i could make a new little PCB using just LM13700 and not the expensive CA3094.

HELP ME PLEASE! AND THEN WE'LL have a nice topic about the new version of this amazing pedal!!!!!!! :o
with 9v normal supply and not expensive.

Cheers.

The Schematic.
microsynthxo.pdf
Micro Synth HALF SCHEMATIC XO VERSION
(730.91 KiB) Downloaded 1204 times
PD: I'm not sure if there are problem using normal components and not the SMD that uses the XO Version, could make a difference? (capacitors, resistors, transistors???) someone who answers this question? or make suggestions and corrections of the schematic or thread? :D :D :D maybe this topic must be on another board on the forum?

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Rat, TS808, Microsynth, MT-2, MagnusModulus, Phase 90, WH10, Dynacomp, CE-2, SansAmp GT2, Envelope Filter, BMP, Fuzz Factory

Post by lufox15 »

someone?!

Liquids
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4!!!!

Post by Liquids »

Normal through hole components will work fine if the circuit is the same, just larger.

lufox15
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lufox15 »

thanks for the data Liquids :) .
But there is nobody that could help to conclude the schematic.

bratpilot
Information

Post by bratpilot »

pieces of the scheme look very similar to the original scheme of the old version.
You could finish the circuit complete?

rtstef
Information

Post by rtstef »

Hi everybody,

My name is stephane, from France, 30y old, guitarist/bassist player since the end of 90's.
I really need a synth pedal for bass, but no money for a good one :cry:

I've build 3 pedals (fuzz, phaser and overdrive), 1 amp (nano head) and a copy of irig.

I don't have any knowledge in electronic, but I really want to build a micro synth, !XO model! (ca3094 is very expensive to buy from my country. About 30€ in my near elec shop :scratch: )

So, someone have try to build it?
Diagram is finally complete? (i've seen pics of new µsynth have disappear from forum... EHX initiative?)
A good replacement for ca3094 (with update schematic for µsynth please!)

Thanks all,
and VERY thanks to this forum.

Stephane

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Stephane,
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... microsynth

And buy parts online. Not in your local shop. Saves a fortune.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com