Vox - SATCHURATOR pedal  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Siberian
Information

Post by Siberian »

Another Red Llama son?

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Siberian wrote:Another Red Llama son?
I think a Boss DS-1 (with mods) + mosfet booster is more likely but who knows...
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything that works
Completed builds: meatolation, wobolation, ringolation clones, PAiA synths/modulars, dipthonizer clone, MOTM modules, pedal mods and repairs

Post by toneman »

bump itty bump bump.... :)

so, has anyone taken a box apart??

The Satchurators were supposed to be shipped by "mid summer",
But, the web sites I see that are selling it, are still taking "advanced orders" :scratch:

let us know

8)
Tone-to-the-Bone

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Here is one on evilbay:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Vox-Joe-Satriani-S ... 286.c0.m14

$ 99,-- wouldn´t be that much.... but $ 28,-- shipping from Hong-Kong. :hmmm:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Agreed wrote: I'm sure a clown like Dan Donagen or however his name is spelled from Disturbed just lets Digitech go at it with their first album and come up with similar sounds using their existing modeling technologies, then sits back and gets fat off of royalties.
hilarious. i had the unfortunate opportunity to tour manage and to FOH sound for these goofs on one of their first tours. there was a meathead, a crybaby, an egomaniac with delusions of grandeur, and one of the dimmest people i've ever met in all my days. see if you can guess which is which.
Attachments
disturbed(1).jpg
disturbed(1).jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

RnFR wrote: hilarious. i had the unfortunate opportunity to tour manage and to FOH sound for these goofs on one of their first tours. there was a meathead, a crybaby, an egomaniac with delusions of grandeur, and one of the dimmest people i've ever met in all my days. see if you can guess which is which.
I'm really glad to hear that the personalities of the actual people in the group so closely match the mental image I'd created of them based on my impressions of their music.

It's sad when even my Mom makes fun of them for having a fake "tough" image while trying to cover up their totally weak frat-boy-trying-to-get-laid lyrics.

I really hate that dude's voice. I couldn't possibly imagine having to hear it constantly during a tour; that would be inhuman torture to me.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Rodgre
Information

Post by Rodgre »

I messed with one yesterday and I was pretty impressed. I haven't opened one up yet, but I probably will at some point this week.

The tone is reminiscent of a DS-1, with a BMP-style tone control. There is a nice rich bottom end on the pedal. It is dynamic, though only if you roll your guitar's volume down. The Gain at minimum is still pretty distorted. The Boost switch is similar to the switch on a Fulldrive, where the gain is increased, so it's either a boost circuit to push the distortion, or else just an additional gain preset. Maybe...

The box is pretty slick. Very spartan and clean. Nice die-casting. It feels really solid. If it wasn't mass-produced by Vox, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a $300 boutique pedal, judging on looks and tone.

Of course, opening up the puppy might reveal some terrible things I won't want to admit thinking they sounded so good.

Roger
not a Satriani fan, but still likes the pedal.

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Rodgre wrote:I messed with one yesterday and I was pretty impressed. I haven't opened one up yet, but I probably will at some point this week.[...]
Interesting... keep us posted!
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

Yep !

Thge same for me ! Waiting fot this dissection !
Patafix... so sticky

supercharger
Information

Post by supercharger »

Hi, first post here!! :thumbsup

I opened today a Satchurator and a Jemini. Jacks, pots, etc. are direct mount on PCB in Satchurator and switches are not 3pdt. Not boutique quality at this price, of course, but the pedal sounds great. It sounds like a little better DS-1 with a light booster in front. Jemini has most SMD components, only electrolytics and transistors are full size. Jacks are mounted in a small board and then to the main board and pots are shielded in some kind of small metal box. Better than Satchurator in terms of quality, IMO, but not top quality. About sound, it's a Tube Screamer with maybe a little more gain (not too much) and a refined DS-1 with improved tone control.

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: meatolation, wobolation, ringolation clones, PAiA synths/modulars, dipthonizer clone, MOTM modules, pedal mods and repairs

Post by toneman »

got pics :?:

inquiring minds, etc etc :hmmm:

for "DS-1 verification" only :lol:

8)
Tone-to-the-Bone

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

I opened today a Satchurator
and???? pictures...scanner?
do not be so cruel :cry:

boris

supercharger
Information

Post by supercharger »

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

wow - those pictures sure tell us a lot!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: (about you) :hmmm: :block:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by toneman »

Aw bajaman, go easy on the dude :wink:

Just got a new Satchurator, and doesn't have the knowledge to completely disassemble/reassemble?
He'd rather play with it than take it apart :?:
I don't find fault with that :)
Thanx for the pics supercharger :!:

I CAN tell that it's a doublesided pcb with a HUGE gnd plane :shock:
Kinda looks like it might be surface-mount (on top), cause there's no IC pins poking thru the bottom.
Looks like it's constructed very solidly: jacks on pcb for quick assembly.

Maybe the next clone-meister will give us a few pcb top shots to see if the 'ol DS-1 is lurking within :?:
8)
Tone-to-the-Bone

supercharger
Information

Post by supercharger »

bajaman wrote:wow - those pictures sure tell us a lot!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: (about you) :hmmm: :block:
bajaman
This Satchurator is owned by a shop in my city. First units arrive a few days ago and I went to take a look and test it. They are great friends of mine and we opened the pedal to take a look inside. So, they borrowed me a camera to take some photos too. Not my shop, I'm only a curious guitar player, I'm not a seller. I wish to be surrounded with lots of guitars every day but it's not my situation. We couldn't take the PCB back because of the jacks and some screws and there's not too much time.

Sorry if someone got upset because of the links, I can remove them if someone is annoying, no problem. :oops:

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

:oops: sorry - just curious to see the meat and potatoes side :wink:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

Information

Post by Avatar »

Hi everybody,

i'd like to see the other side of the PCB, as the pedal sounds quite good on youtube ;).

Maybe someone can post a few new pictures? Please!

Regards,
Hannes

Entrant_21
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Entrant_21 »

any more developments on the pedal?

i hear its a modded version of a boutique pedal: the
TC Jauerning Gristle King
http://filters.muziq.be/model/tcjauernig/gristleking

toneman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by toneman »

Entrant_21 wrote:any more developments on the pedal?
i hear its a modded version of a boutique pedal: the
TC Jauerning Gristle King
http://filters.muziq.be/model/tcjauernig/gristleking
The SatchPedal Looks like MUCH more than that!
EVEN from UNDERNEATH!!
That's only got a teeny tiny pcb :slap:
GOT to be some derrivitive of a DS-1 :?:

If they ever drop below 100bucks on ebay, I might be tempted :shock:
Otherwise, i'm gonna wait...
8)
Tone-to-the-Bone