Vox - SATCHURATOR pedal  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
cayle_6
Information

Post by cayle_6 »

Bside2234 wrote:Yes. Lower gain, higher volume.
what should i do to get higher volume without sacrificing the gain? and also to get a middier crunch tone.

TheNixonWayne
Information

Post by TheNixonWayne »

Hi,

I am currently working on "reverse engineering" of Vox Satchurator. I really like the sound of this pedal so I would like to make another one if possible. The schematics is a little bit more sophisticated as I thought. It is not finished yet it might help you to company me. You know: the more heads together the more knowledge. :hmmm: :D

There are some inductors in (can't measure value) and some transistors without marks (SMD JFET) for signal switching. There are 2pcs of MPSA18 transistors which are very similar to 2n5088, the dual flip/flop 4013 for switching and unkwnown OPAMP. If they brushed the caption away from OPAMP that means it must be a very common type that they need to hide it. I still have't finished it so I thought somebody could help me with arrangement of components in schematics.

If you are interested in you are very welcome. :applause:
Attachments
IMG_2007_1.jpg
IMG_2006_1.jpg

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Topics merged. Use the search function to add your lovely work in the existing thread... :wink: :wink:

Nice step forward though! :applause:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

cayle_6
Information

Post by cayle_6 »

my Satchurator just died on me. it's still being diagnosed. :evil:

cayle_6
Information

Post by cayle_6 »

does any one know where i can get a Toshiba 14-pin Dual Flip Flop IC like the one in the Satchurator?

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

What you're looking for is a 4013 dual D flipflop in a SO14 case. The brand is most likely of no importance. They're sold at futurlec for 20 dollarcents.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

cayle_6
Information

Post by cayle_6 »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:What you're looking for is a 4013 dual D flipflop in a SO14 case. The brand is most likely of no importance. They're sold at futurlec for 20 dollarcents.
Thanks Dirk. the Satch is working now, and is being modded for true bypass and for a more amp like feel. turned out to be a transistor problem.

ibzmav
Information

Post by ibzmav »

So, how's the schematic? Is it really just a DS-1 pedal in a different box?

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

ibzmav wrote:So, how's the schematic? Is it really just a DS-1 pedal in a different box?
More or less. It isn't the "magic" pedal that it's meant to be - in fact it's quite disappointing.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I agree. It's a very disappointing pedal. The More didn't do squat and it was a weak sounding pedal in general.

cayle_6
Information

Post by cayle_6 »

ibzmav wrote:So, how's the schematic? Is it really just a DS-1 pedal in a different box?
hey Mark! more or less, it's a DS-1 sounding pedal. BAMF modded mine for true bypass, and replaced the clipping diodes. sounds better than before.

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

We playing the same pedal? The More doesn't do anything if the gain is dimed, because all it does is increase the voltage at the clipping - of course when you're at max gain already there's no more voltage to add to it, so it won't have any effect. But with the gain set to noonish or just a bit after (which for me gets a great rhythm sound, crunchy without being fizzy or weak), switching "More" brings it into high-gain territory immediately for solos.

Yeah, it's definitely some flavor of DS-1. No, it doesn't sound like a stock DS-1. Yeah, it's pretty close to a Keeley DS-1.

The only PROBLEM with it is the volume issue, it just doesn't have the output to keep up with really high output pickups. Most of my guitars can reach unity fine, but I've got one that's loaded with high-output actives and an active mid boost, and engaging the Satchurator means a bit of volume drop when my guitar's feeding it the hottest signal it can put out.

I don't know, I guess if you bought the Satchurator expecting it to sound like some kind of amazing miracle pedal that you'd never heard of before then I can understand being disappointed. But Satriani has used Japanese-made DS-1s for his sound forever, and with the Satchurator (which, if you'll notice, is made in Japan, a nice touch imo) I can get a sound which is just like his Time Machine-era live tone, my personal favorite sound he's ever had. I'm not disappointed with mine in the least. In fact I really like it :D

SandMan84
Information

Post by SandMan84 »

Any news for the schematics?
I'm really interested on this.

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

cayle_6 wrote:
Dirk_Hendrik wrote:What you're looking for is a 4013 dual D flipflop in a SO14 case. The brand is most likely of no importance. They're sold at futurlec for 20 dollarcents.
Thanks Dirk. the Satch is working now, and is being modded for true bypass and for a more amp like feel. turned out to be a transistor problem.
I have one that dies on me... Was it Q5? Mine looks melted or so... WHat is that transistor...?
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

Kyon
Information

Post by Kyon »

Hi guys... Some one gives me a Satchurator burned... It doesnt seems to hard to repair
but...

I need to know the values from Q5, Q10, and D101

Who knows it?

erigm
Information

Post by erigm »

I do as well. Especially how he gets tone. I really like the Satchurator and would be real intrested how to mod a DS-1 to sound more like the Satchurator. They sound real similar, but I thought the Satchurator sounded better. I just couldn't handle how the distorted sound wasn't loud enough to compare to the clean bypassed sound, even with the level cranked.
erigm

stringman
Information

Post by stringman »

sevinisthenumber wrote:Had one of these pass by me today. Horrible....
Very thin, useless tone knob, same ol...

I opened it up and socketed every cap that was not smd. My final result resulted in fuller, more realistic crunch with a very usable tone control.

All Metal Film.
c1=.1
c3=.22
c10=.01
c11=1uf
c14=1uf

D5=red led
d4=3 way toggle. 2 red leds in parallel. 2 1n4001's in parallel.

hope someone finds this useful.

I tried this mod the sound was ok gave me better mids and a more usable tone knob across the bandwidth. Only problem is the apparent hum. Any thoughts on which capacitor would be responsible for the hum?

reivax11
Information

Post by reivax11 »

I've been using Satchurator for over a year without any problems, but two weeks ago the Gain knob started to change its functionality. At the begining when you turn the knob to zero the pedal was only a kind of booster without any distorsion, only a little crunch, but now in the same position it has a clear distorsion, if you turn the knob up the distorsion ups, but if you turn it to the minimum you can hear distorsion clearly too.
Does anyone have any idea of what happens with it?
Thx

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Assuming you haven't changed anything in your setup that would drive the pedal. ie . put another pedal or booster in front of the saturator you should could check the gain pot han't died. It may have damge to the pot trace which would leave one end open, this could cause problems similar to what you describe. Im guessing as i dont have a schematic at hand to look at.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

xenrelic
Information
my favorite amplifier: Custom Modified Marshall JMP-50
Completed builds: Micro Amp
AD9
Ocatvia
Fuzz Face
Univibe
BSIAB II
Crybaby Wah
Clyde Wah
Xen Wah
Phase 90
TS-9
DD-3
DD-5
OC-2
BF-2
CE-2
CE-3

Post by xenrelic »

Does anyone have the part# for transistor Q9?