Ibanez - SD-9 Sonic Distortion  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
popstudioguitar
Information

Post by popstudioguitar »

What a great group this is ! :applause:
I was scrolling thru the many build proposed and I was wandering if anyone still care about that SD9 pedal ?!

I tried the GGG build but was not convinced by the tone of the unit. Too muddy and fuzz like.

Anyone had any experience with it ?

Cheers,

Chris

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

At the end of the thread below you can find a better schematic of the Ibanez Sonic Distortion:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2087&p=24570&#p24570

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

popstudioguitar
Information

Great,

I've read that thread. A good appetizer !

Anyone have a vero layout or a PCB for it ?

I would like to compare with the GGG. Seems that a lot of things are missing on their schematic (only switching wise ??).

Thanks

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

All SD9 haave I/O-buffering, the dist-circuit in the schems is nearly correct . The originals had been revised at least 2 times and the later circuits will differ a bit from the first ones.

JHS

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

explain "nearly"...?
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

All schems I saw so far don't show the O-buffer and the FET-switching, just a simplified SD-9 OD-circuit.

I recieved a redrawn factory schem, showing an early SD-9. Seems to be a transition model and maybe this redrawn schem has some errors . The first SD-9 don't have a 100uF filter cap in the BIAS divider. The cap is the RC network of the OD-circuit is a electrolytic 22uF, later SD-9 have only 0,1uF. IMHO technical the schem is correct and will work but w/o the factory schem part and value checking is impossible.

JHS

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Hmmm, :hmmm:

Personally I have more trust in a real live example that is not modded than a factory schem.
A change from 22uF to 0.1uF seems a rather drastic alteration to me. Absence of a cap on the bias supply is just asking for trouble since it will not act as a virtual ground anymore.

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

TS-808 and early TS-9 don't have this 100uF cap in the bias divider (neither the IBZ RI TS-808/9 and the MAXON 808 and RI-808). The sound when powerd with a C-battery is a bit softer w/o this cap.

With an external power supply there's due to the hum-filtering of the adapter no difference in sound). When I put a 100uF cap across the battery the tone is a bit more clear and a bit harsher, similar to a TS-10 or most TS-clones.

I breadboarded the SD-9 some time ago and 100n is not that drastic compared to a 22uF, less mushy in the bass and overall a more defined tone. ICs differ on the originals too, TA, JRC, NJM. With a 22uF and a JRC4558D the sound was really undefined.

IMHO the MAXON "RI SD-9" was the best sounding SD-9 I've checked so far, but it's a distortion and don't produce a creamy OD-sound like the 808. IMHO the IBZ SD-9 and far better than a DS-1, more open but the same kind of artificial Si-distortion sound.

JHS

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

JHS wrote:and the MAXON 808
Are we talking about the same 808?
http://www.matsumin.net/diy/bunkai/od-8 ... 08_sch.BMP

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

No.

The I-buffer is not correct. You can download the revised V2.0 schem from Matsumin's website.

The original Maxon OD-808 is identical with the IBZ TS-808 from '79 (1st version with IC-buffers, more neutral sounding and a bit more gain than the later ones with trannie buffers - ICs are RC1458P in the originals).

BTW: the RI 808 has a 10uF in the bias divider for a softer tone and for compensating (the MC1458P used in the RI produce a bit harder and stiffer tone when swapped into the original circuit).

JHS

popstudioguitar
Information

Anyone tried that particular layout for the Sonic distortion ?!?! I found that one on the marvelous DIY fever web site.

Thanks
Attachments
sonicdisto_layout.gif

mecmast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mecmast »

All of the infos about sonic distortion are false. Not even close to the real sound of sd-9. I've found some guts of Maxon and Ibanez SD-9. The most important thing i've found is: there is only one trans. in the layouts/pcb/schem given. But in the original one, there are "7"!!!

Hope somebody helps me about creating the true pcb and layouts.
Attachments
dd51_12.jpg
dd51_12.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 12257 times
1c44_3.jpg
1bbd_3.jpg
!BPULeiQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjoEjlLmRkbZBJy+crDjhg~~_12.jpg
!BPULeiQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjoEjlLmRkbZBJy+crDjhg~~_12.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 12250 times
!BOdYdwg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl)w!eBJuzM2qmVQ~~_3.jpg

mecmast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mecmast »

also a video and a last pic.
Attachments
insideSD9.rar
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 282 times
sonic.jpg
sonic.jpg (22.74 KiB) Viewed 12249 times

umutgokcen
Information

Post by umutgokcen »

I have an original SD9 so I thought I'd chime in. I had it modded by Analogman some years ago which reduced the mid-scoopiness and made the tone knob have more useful range. He doesn't really give much details on how he achieves that and at the time I didn't know anything about circuits so I'm afraid I can't tell you what he changed in there. The bottom line is it sounds really good!

Lately, I decided to try out a few different op-amp chips in the SD9 and the one I liked best turned out to be the TL072. It definitely sounds less compressed than the JRC4558, and that takes the pedal further away from Tube Screamer territory (which I prefer). I think the top end is also a bit clearer (but not harsher) with the TL072.

I had some samples of it on my computer so you can hear what I'm talking about. There are 3 files; one with drive turned down another with drive up, and then both together with a drum loop. I play a few bars with the clean sound in the beginning to give you some point of reference.
Attachments
sd9twotracks.mp3.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 347 times
sd9hidrivebridge.mp3.zip
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 262 times
sd9lodriveneck.mp3.zip
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 240 times

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Dunno if this veroboard layout is any good but thought i'd post it anywho,

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... ewsIndex=1

Thanks,
Scruffie.

mecmast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mecmast »

umutgokcen check your inbox plz :)

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

I had one before. flat out sucked, worse than a tube screamer and I don't really care for tubescreamers if that means anything to you. muddy and fuzzy sounds about right...

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

mecmast wrote:All of the infos about sonic distortion are false. Not even close to the real sound of sd-9. I've found some guts of Maxon and Ibanez SD-9. The most important thing i've found is: there is only one trans. in the layouts/pcb/schem given. But in the original one, there are "7"!!!
And naturally you searched on, perhaps with the link AG linked to above?

Count em all 7:
http://dirk-hendrik.com/ibanez_sonic_distortion.pdf

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Btw,

why are people still comparing a SD to a TS? They have virtuslly nothing in common. Not in cicuit principle but not in sound either. Like comparing a TS to a dist+..

mecmast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mecmast »

About the 7 trans.'.... i'vnt count them by the original one. I've seen them on the guts. you could also count there are 7. but in your schem there are 5. two of them are for bypass i guess.

whatever, i am still looking for the layout. i cannot create one from the schem cos i am new on it.

About the sd9 vs ts9 comparing. i dont believe sd9 is a tube screamer. i get really different sound from it. it's more than a tube screamer.

Still searching the layout, sbdy plz help me.