Moen Shaky Jimi Vibe  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

I can confirm that the Moen Shaky Jimi Vibe is a clone of the EasyVibe by John Hollis.
Moen-Shaky-Jimi-Vibe-Chorus-Vibrato-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-with-Rate-Depth-Hue-Knobs-and-True.jpg
Schematic EasyVibe by John Hollis:
easyvibe.jpg
Some small changes of Moen are:
- Uses 4 TL062 dual opamps instead of 2x TL064 opamps. (I changed the 3 dual opamps in the audio path to better ones. I left the low power TL062 LFO dual opamp in, which reduces possible ticking problems.)
- Has an external Hue pot which is the Drive trimpot in the EasyVibe.
- Uses 2.2k Ohm resistor for minimum Hue/Drive instead of 220 Ohm. (I changed this into 220 Ohm for increased max Drive.)
- Uses 5K Ohm pot for Hue/Drive instead of 1k Ohm.

Note: I changed the opamps here already so these are not original!

The opamp near the footswitch is the input and Drive opamp.
The two opamps in the middle are the phase shifters.
The opamp near the DC plug is the LFO.
The rest is pretty easy to follow if you use the schematic of the EasyVibe by John Hollis.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

thanks

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

don't know why there's no 'thanks' button on this page, but thanks for the confirmation, gutshots, tour of the pcb and details re swap-outs. interesting stuff.

txrsm
Information

Post by txrsm »

This is amazing work. I just bought one of these and it is on its way but I was thinking about incorporating your recommendations into the pedal.

Looking at the photos, are you able to point out or circle where the 2.2k resistor is for the Hue/Drive that you changed to 220 Ohm? Do you remember what you changed the 3 dual opamps to like a part number? Lastly, is there any benefit of switching the drive pot from a 5k to a 1k pot? Could a bias pot be added? :horsey:

Thank you so very much for your work and I apologize for resurrecting a two year old thread. This just peaked my interest as I just purchased one. :popcorn:

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

> where the 2.2k resistor is for the Hue/Drive that you changed to 220 Ohm?
It is the one directly in series with the Drive pot, on one side, and connects to the 4 LFO LEDs on the other side.
See here, I circled the resistor near the footswitch in red:

> Do you remember what you changed the 3 dual opamps to like a part number?
I used TLC2272 dual opamps. But a TL072, for instance, will also be better than the TL062. Burr Brown makes nice ones too!

> is there any benefit of switching the drive pot from a 5k to a 1k pot?
I see no benefit. The 5k pot will give you a larger Drive range. Leave it.

> Could a bias pot be added?
A bias could perhaps be added at the + input of the Drive opamp?
That opamp + input can be used as a DC mixer, mixing the Depth pot voltage with a DC voltage from a bias pot:
A pot (10k linear?) between 0V and 9V, and from the wiper a resistor (don't know its value, try from 10k to 1M) to the + input.
But you would also need a resistor (at least 200k?) between the wiper of the Depth pot and the + input.

txrsm
Information

Post by txrsm »

Holy smokes Floris! Thank you so much for the detailed information and the outlined image. I can't wait to get it in now. Evidently I was looking at the wrong location on the pictures because I was not even close to where you circled! LOL I'm still learning how to read schematics. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

More to come!

jeighsohn
Information

Post by jeighsohn »

I'm resurrecting this dead thread again with a newb question.

I got one of these in trade and in testing it out, i accidentally grabbed an AC 9v adapter instead of my DC (similar look wall warts and I was careless and in a hurry). Naturally, I cooked something in the pedal. Research online tells me that I should first replace a diode near the DC power jack. In the schematic above, is that the 1N914?

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

In the picture, 3rd post above this post , check the diode in the top left, next to the large electrolytic cap C10, next to the DC jack.

jeighsohn
Information

Post by jeighsohn »

Thanks!

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 5150lll

Post by Belanger88 »

sorry to comment on an old post but my friend just bought one of these and he's complaining the volume is too low on it. it's below unity
Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Belanger88 »

how would i fix that
Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

You can raise the volume, for instance, by increasing the gain of the first opamp after the input: Either decrease the 100k Ohm resistor or increase the 47k resistor.

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Belanger88 »

floris wrote:You can raise the volume, for instance, by increasing the gain of the first opamp after the input: Either decrease the 100k Ohm resistor or increase the 47k resistor.

ok ill start searching for them now, I'm trying to learn all of the resistor band codes off by heart and I'm nowhere close. i do however have that app to figure it out. just in case i can't find them easily could you let me know where to look

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Belanger88 »

found them!

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Belanger88 »

i was readind that theres a mod that would allow me to use a expression pedal to control the speed like the original uni vibe does anyone have any further information on this mod please :mrgreen:

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

I guess you just move the 100k Rate pot to an external wah casing.

Belanger88
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Belanger88 »

florist wrote:I guess you just move the 100k Rate pot to an external wah casing.
the mod I was reading about adds 2 extra input jacks so i don't think that's it but thanks anyway for the reply!

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

floris wrote:I guess you just move the 100k Rate pot to an external wah casing.
I built my easy vibe (years ago) into a wah casing, works great!

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

thanks

stevestrat
Information

Post by stevestrat »

Where is schematic plz