LEL Distortion - russian - [ GUTSHOTS ]  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hi
I've got this one on the bench because the owner had used a wrong psu... he toughts that it would run on 18V because of the two 9V batteries, but they are in parallel :lol:
I would swear I've seen a topic about this pedal some time ago, but I couldn't find it anymore. So sorry for the double post.

You'll see their system to access the batteries, it's very difficult to open; also the whole PCB is held only by the two jack sockets ( now you understand why reliability could be a problem someday with this one).
The wiring is neat, I love the old school wraps and tied wires 8) Also they used some capacitor holders, first time I see this with such small caps.
Schematic could be found here (russian):
http://www.blackbird-star.narod.ru/lel.html

It's a pretty nice OD/Distortion, the tone/filter controls are very efficient, the whole thing is a bit noisy sometimes and could even auto-oscillate with extreme settings.
IMGA0934.JPG
IMGA0931.JPG
IMGA0929.JPG
IMGA0925.JPG
IMGA0928b.JPG
IMGA0922.JPG
IMGA0920.JPG
IMGA0918.JPG

thesmokingman
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by thesmokingman »

that harness job is dead sexy

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

This is one of the first pedals I encountered. If the russian schematic is hard to read (I know it is for me), here's one where I used the tracing I made in the 90's (O tempora...).
lell_dd_drive-distortion_sch_non-verified.png
Some of the noise could come from the P-channel JFETs (usually, they are noisier than N-channel JETs).

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Thanks for this very clean schematic mate, the cross references for the ICs and transistors are very useful :applause: